Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can someone advise, what if I apply for French citizenship via Naturalization, pass the interview at the Prefecture and leave France after a while (to US), I can track the mail for letters, so I can return if the result is positive.

What could be the roadblocks? Is that something theoretically possible?

Thanks

·
Administrator
50,461 Posts
It depends. The naturalization process usually requires at least one or two "interviews" - which may be requested only a week or two before the appointment date. But as long as you maintain your legal residence in France, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you can return in time.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May I ask how to retain the legal residence? I would like to go work abroad. I can just change my address as 'chez' of some of my friends.

·
Administrator
50,461 Posts
Maintaining your residence in France would involve maintaining a "primary residence" and filing French taxes from that residence, paying utilities and quite possibly maintaining your cotisations (social insurances) eligibility.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi All,

Can someone advise, what if I apply for French citizenship via Naturalization, pass the interview at the Prefecture and leave France after a while (to US), I can track the mail for letters, so I can return if the result is positive.

What could be the roadblocks? Is that something theoretically possible?

Thanks
You don't say
- on what basis you are applying for naturalisation
- when you made the application
- how long you expect remain outside France
- if you know whether any checks have yet been done

However, I don't think it's a good idea and, given the security process that will be undertaken (they can track your comings and goings), they may well refuse your application should you leave the country for more than a brief period.

Il faut résider en France au moment de la signature du décret de naturalisation. La notion de résidence est plus large que la notion habituelle de domicile. Elle implique que vous devez avoir en France le centre de vos intérêts matériels (notamment professionnels) et de vos liens familiaux. Si vous résidez en France mais que votre époux(se) et/ou vos enfants résident à l'étranger, la nationalité française pourrait vous être refusée.
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2213

1 - 7 of 7 Posts