Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Would like to ask if my daughter is eligible for British citizenship application

Im on ILR since 2021 , my daughter came July last year in the UK on Indefinite leave to enter visa.

I would like to know if she is eligible to apply now, so we can apply both for naturalisation.

Hope someone can answer my query please

Thank you xx

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Children cannot actually naturalise, because it is not legal for someone under 18 to swear an oath. In this case, you would register her as a British citizen using form MN1 (under Section 1(3)) after you become a citizen yourself

Reactions: Aiki11

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Children cannot actually naturalise, because it is not legal for someone under 18 to swear an oath. In this case, you would register her as a British citizen using form MN1 (under Section 1(3)) after you become a citizen yourself

Thank you For the kind reply clever - octopus. Once i get my citizenship, can she apply or register her even though shes been in the Uk less for than a year?

Thank you xx

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Yes, there's no length of time she needs to have been resident in the UK before you can register her as British

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Clever-Octopus

I have noticed while completing an online application form that there is an option of registering 18yo child together with the adult application --- Can I apply her same time with mine or I have to wait to get my citizenship first?

If I can - their asking for reference, does it have to be the same

will appreciate your kind response.

Many thanks xx

· Registered
6,268 Posts
You should be able to do it at the same time, if it's an option on the application (you used to be able to apply at the same time when the applications were submitted on paper). I don't know what you mean by "their asking for reference" though.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be able to do it at the same time, if it's an option on the application (you used to be able to apply at the same time when the applications were submitted on paper). I don't know what you mean by "their asking for reference" though.
Yeah there is an option.

I mean its asking for 2 referee? People who know my daughter personally. Shes just living here less than a year and doesnt really know anyone who can give reference. Can she get reference in the Philippines?

Thank you

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, there's no length of time she needs to have been resident in the UK before you can register her as British
Hi Clever-octopus,

I just wanted to confirm or double checked what you said that there is no length of time before my daughter can register as I am confused on what I read on the guidance.

I attached what I just read - it says the child whos applying in line with parents should been in the UK for the last 2 years before can apply?

I just wanted to make sure as I dont want to get her application refuse.

Please, can someone share their knowledge pls.

Many thanks

Attachments

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Sorry I made a typo earlier, the section is 3(1) (not 1(3)

This is how a parent would register their child when they become a British citizen themselves. It's a completely discretionary application with no strict requirements.

How old is the child?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I made a typo earlier, the section is 3(1) (not 1(3)

This is how a parent would register their child when they become a British citizen themselves. It's a completely discretionary application with no strict requirements.

How old is the child?
Hi clever octopus

She is 17 yo, turning 18 on September.

Bit of background, she was born to unmarried parents. Parents are both married to different person. The biological Dad is naturalise British citizen after she gave birth and has no sole responsibility on her although will give consent and cooperative on my daughter application. She came last year July September on ILE and live all her life back home. She started college September last year.

What confused me is the guidance I read on the photo that I attached above that she needs to be living here atleast 2 years if Im correct? Also Im worried how can I give a referee if someone doesnt know her fo atleast 3 years.

Can you give me an advise please, If I will continue her registration or wait for couple of years?

Please

Thank you

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, I think I'd assumed she was a young child.

In that case - I think you would have a good case to register her now, BUT under discretionary rules, for someone 17 years old they'd probably want to see significant residence (2+ years) in the UK. The problem is that once she has 2 years of residence, she'll be 18 and will have to naturalise (as an adult) which requires 5 years of residence.

So your choices are 1) submit a MN1 application sometime this year and risk a refusal (though could be a low risk), or 2) let her naturalise as British once she's been here for 5 years

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, I think I'd assumed she was a young child.

In that case - I think you would have a good case to register her now, BUT under discretionary rules, for someone 17 years old they'd probably want to see significant residence (2+ years) in the UK. The problem is that once she has 2 years of residence, she'll be 18 and will have to naturalise (as an adult) which requires 5 years of residence.

So your choices are 1) submit a MN1 application sometime this year and risk a refusal (though could be a low risk), or 2) let her naturalise as British once she's been here for 5 years
Thanks for responding Clever Octopus

What about the referee? Who do you think I can give for her? Thats my main problem actually. Can my referee be here referee as well?

Many thanks

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Yes, you can use the same referee between you as long as they meet the requirements. The other referee needs to be someone like a doctor, minister, or a teacher who knows her in a professional capacity. You can't use someone in the Philippines, they need to be a British passport holder.

If you're really struggling with referees, then maybe the best advice is to abandon an MN1 application and just let her naturalise as an adult in 5 years - Citizenship isn't absolutely mandatory when she has ILE anyway

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Clever Octopus

Thats what we were thinking as well, just to wait couple of years to apply for naturalisation.

Many thanks for responding to my queries, really appreciate it a lot.

Cheers

· Registered
6,268 Posts
My apologies as I was assuming that your daughter was a young child who had been here longer than 7 months (when you said "July last year" I was thinking 2021, but of course we're in a new year now). I agree you will have better luck if she just waits the time needed to naturalise. It's more expensive but carries less of a risk of refusal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts