Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions re: Citizenship application process
Background, my husband arrived in the UK on a:
- Fiancé visa on the 27/07/2012 under the old rules (pre July 9th 2012)
- FLR M Husband visa issued 17/09/2012 (after our wedding) at PEO appointment
- ILR Settlement visa issued 22/08/2014 at PEO appointment & 10 year BRP

I understand that in order to apply for citizenship he has to have been in the UK for the 3 year residential period. We are planning on arranging an NCS (Nationality Checking Service) Appointment on the 28th July 2015.

1. Have we calculated this correctly and that my husband will meet the 3 year residential period at this point? I calculated this as being 3 years and 1 day, but obviously do not want to get it wrong.

2. After the NCS appointment I understand my husband will get to keep his passport and Biometric Residency Permit, we are planning a trip to see relatives for 6 days in August in Europe, will he be ok to travel (he already has a valid Schengen visa)?

3. Does my husband have to submit his biometrics again even though he has a BRP? We are not sure how to complete the biometrics section which says: If not enclosed please state the location of biometric residence permit:
Obviously if we are going to travel for 6 days he cannot include his BRP in the documents that the NCS will post, also I thought that the NCS appointment was for copying and certifying all original documents and only sending certified copies and the original of the Life in the UK Test result report.

4. Fees: the fee now is £1005, does he have to pay for the citizenship ceremony separately and if he has to do biometrics that too? Therefore all components to be paid:
a. Citizenship fee £1005
b. Nationality Checking Service £65
c. Citizenship ceremony fee £80
d. Biometrics £19.20

5. English Language Qualification my husband did Cambridge FCE and got a level B2 for his ILR visa – I understand that he can still use this certificate even though it is not included on the new list issued April 6 2015. Is this right? I can see it is listed on the transitional list.

6. In order to prove residency, does he need to include P60s, letters from employers, or will his passport(s) stamps suffice?

7. Will my husband need to be interviewed anywhere? Or is this just when he is applying for his first British Passport?

Many thanks for your assistance in clarifying the above points I look forward to hearing from you, I have often referred to this site for clarification during this journey :)

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
When did he enter UK on his fiancé visa? It's the date he entered, not when visa was issued, that determines the start of three-year period. Naturalisation fee includes citizenship ceremony. Biometrics not required. Interview rare, but request for further documents possible. Existing English test and Life in UK test pass accepted.
P60 not needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Joppa,

Thanks for your quick and succinct reply. He entered the UK on 27/07/2012. So 28/07/2015 would meet the 3 year residency period wouldn't it?

Thanks again.

Oh and he will get to keep his BRP and passport so we can travel after the Nationality Checking Service Appointment?

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
1) It's the date immediately before 3 years... I arrived 09 October '12 on a Fiancée Visa as well - page 4 of the guidance booklet indicates that if they receive my application on October 8, 2015, I have to show proof that I was physically in the country on 09 October 12. In your husband's case, he can apply on or after 26/07/15, provided that the initial entry stamp in his passport is 27/07/2012.

2) I would imagine that he is free to leave the UK... one of the "selling points" of the NCS is that one can retain their documents instead of having to wait for their return. As he is no longer subject to immigration control, your husband is free to come and go as he pleases.

3) Page 13 of the guide says that all applicants are to submit their biometrics yet again (with the £19.20 fee payable to the Post Office for this service).

4) Those figures look to be about right.... thankfully the bloodletting from the Home Office is about to end for you and your husband, with the final amount being wrung from you when he goes for his passport.

5) I don't know about this, as I am excluded from having to take an English test by virtue of having a Canadian passport.

6) I got this information from the Hammersmith and Fulham Nationality Checking Service... it details what they expect you to bring to your NCS appointment.

7) From what I have been led to believe, beyond the NCS appointment, the only "interview" that is required would be for the passport application.

Good luck to you both! :)

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Yes, WCCG is right about biometrics. I'm away at the moment so not easy to check. You are free to travel while application is being processed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear WestCoastCanadianGirl,

Thanks for your reply, nice to hear from someone on a similar route. I wish you all the best for when your turn comes around. Not long now :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Naturalisation Timeline Submitted July 2015

Hi guys!

I just wanted to share my good news and to say thank you for the support over the last 3 years or so! This forum has been something I have come back to at key points along this journey.

Here follows my husband's naturalisation timeline:

Eligibility criteria: 3 years residence, spouse of British citizen
Language criteria met: FCE + Life in the UK test
Nationality: Malagasy
Method of application: NCS
Date of application: 31/07/2015
Payment method: Debit card
Date of receipt by UKBA: 01/08/2015
Date of acknowledgement : 07/08/2015 (email)
Date money debited from account: 07/08/2015
Date biometric's letter received: 12/08/2015 (letter dated 06/08/2015)
Biometrics completed: 15/08/2015
Date approval letter received: 20/10/2015 (dated 12/10/2015)
Date of ceremony: TBC
Date of Passport Application : TBC

All the best!

Starshine x

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Congrats!

It's nice to have some sort of idea what kind of timeline we're looking at... it looks like I'm about 11 weeks behind your husband in this process...

• Eligibility criteria: "Old Rules" visa stream with 3 years residence in the UK, as the spouse of British citizen, with 43 days absent in the 36 month period.
  • Language criteria met: Exempt from language requirement, Life in the UK test sat 19/12/12.
  • Nationality: Canada
  • Method of application: London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham Nationality Checking Service
  • Date of application: 16/10/2015
  • Payment method: Debit card
  • Date of receipt by UKBA: 19/08/2015 (as evidenced by tracking on the Royal Mail website)
  • Date of acknowledgement : Letter dated 03/11/2015 received a.m. 06/11/2015
  • Date money debited from account: 03/11/2015
  • Date biometrics letter received: Letter dated 03/11/2015 received a.m. 06/11/2015.
  • Biometrics completed: 06/11/2015
  • Date approval letter received: I am currently at Her Majesty's pleasure to decide my application.
  • Date of ceremony: TBD... husband wants to have a private ceremony and invite a bunch of people to the ceremony and out for drinks afterwards.
  • Date of Passport Application : TBD, but likely same day as citizenship ceremony - I know for a fact that there's a post office across the street from the ceremony venue (I saw it during my NCS appointment), so if I have all of my ducks in a row and have the application filled out before the ceremony, I can put the finishing touches on the application before nipping over to the post office to send it off after the ceremony.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope it goes quickly for you! My husband has his ceremony on the 4th of November and we're hoping to have his passport application ready to go as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A quick update:
Citizenship ceremony: 04/11/15
Passport application: sent within a few days
Passport interview invite received 18/11/15
Passport interview: 28/11/15
Passport received: 1st week in December

All the best for those still waiting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts