Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Going from ILR to Naturalisation

Can anyone shed some light on the process. Is covid -19 still causing delays ?.
I ask this as i urgently need to travel overseas as soon as the government eases the lockdown measures. Therefore i don't want the application to be stuck in a backlog.

I would be interested in hearing from those that have sent off the naturalisation application andare trying to book onto the ceremonies/apply for the british passports.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
There's no restriction on travel with an application for naturalisation in progress. You already have ILR and can travel freely regardless of the outcome of your naturalisation application. There are still some delays due to COVID-19, my AN application has been in progress for 3 months now, but I know of people recently who had a decision in 2 weeks. You will have to check with your local council regarding ceremony timings.

i don't want the application to be stuck in a backlog.
I don't know what you mean by this, it's in a backlog until it's decided, you can't affect that

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for the prompt response.(y)
Can i pick your brains on the process. Is it still The AN form that needs completing. submit documents and enrol biometrics (fees £1330and £19 ish for biometrics?). Then a decision in 6 months. hopefully get granted naturalisation so you can then book a ceremony place. then proceed to applying for your british passport.

I only ask this as they seem to change the rules every 5 minutes.

Any clarification wold be appreciated

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
The rules for AN applications (British citizenship) haven't changed in a very long time.

The process is:
1. Submit online application
2. Submit supporting documents and attend biometrics appointment
3. Wait up to 6 months for a decision
4. Get invitation letter to schedule an oath ceremony with your local council (can take another couple of months but it depends on your council)
5. Attend ceremony
6. Submit application for first British passport (takes up to about 6-10 weeks)

So the whole process start to finish will probably take the better part of a year.

Reactions: Ruks123

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again.
I was worried about no being able to travel during the application process but you have clarified this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks again.
I was worried about no being able to travel during the application process but you have clarified this.
My U.S. partner became eligible for citizenship in January after 5 years + 1 year after ILR. We waited to go for biometrics for a while until she had her first Covid shot. We couldn't find any free biometrics places so ended up paying £100 for an appointment in Chelmsford, about two weeks out. She walked in early, was out in about 20 minutes (we did everything without a lawyer and uploaded everything, but didn't upload any proof of living in the UK for 5 years even though biometrics employee suggested they might ask for it). We then sat back for our six month wait. SIX DAYS LATER we got the letter that she was approved. We are now awaiting the county letter for the ceremony. Essex is doing virtual ceremonies (it differs in different regions). We have been waiting a couple of weeks so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts