Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I've applied for Skilled migrant category residency and these are my timelines:

EOI - Dec 2016
ITA - Feb 2017
Docs submitted - March 2017
CO - April 2017

Case manager is really good and keeps me informed on the application and has advised that everything is in but she's waiting for national security check to come through. Just reading through the forum i can see that there's no set time frame for it and for different people it takes a different length.

From what I've read, not everyone has to do these checks and it's "random" and i'm a little surprised i had been selected for this.

I was born in Pakistan but moved to UK when I was 12...all my schooling and 5 years of job were in UK. I don't even hold a Pakistani passport anymore nor have I been back for a long time. i'm a bit skeptical about this and feel like i'm being penalized for being born in Pakistan, that's it.

would be interesting to hear your thoughts/feedback, am i being a paranoid cry baby or is there a reason? are they even concerned with Pakistan and just doing a check on my UK info? i want my residency to come through ASAP as I've been approached by a recruiter for a dream role!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Don't fret it. Have you told your CO about the recruiter approach?

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Hey All,

So I've applied for Skilled migrant category residency and these are my timelines:

EOI - Dec 2016
ITA - Feb 2017
Docs submitted - March 2017
CO - April 2017

Case manager is really good and keeps me informed on the application and has advised that everything is in but she's waiting for national security check to come through. Just reading through the forum i can see that there's no set time frame for it and for different people it takes a different length.

From what I've read, not everyone has to do these checks and it's "random" and i'm a little surprised i had been selected for this.

I was born in Pakistan but moved to UK when I was 12...all my schooling and 5 years of job were in UK. I don't even hold a Pakistani passport anymore nor have I been back for a long time. i'm a bit skeptical about this and feel like i'm being penalized for being born in Pakistan, that's it.

would be interesting to hear your thoughts/feedback, am i being a paranoid cry baby or is there a reason? are they even concerned with Pakistan and just doing a check on my UK info? i want my residency to come through ASAP as I've been approached by a recruiter for a dream role!
You are correct that NSC is not mandatory for everyone, however (and only my opinion) for people who were "born" or are "citizens by birth" of countries where there has been unrest - political or otherwise, repression, maybe a high degree of poverty etc etc then it is almost expected that the applicant will require NSC to delve further into the person's history to check any military association. This enhanced security check is completely confidential and will NOT be shared by Immigration and the applicant. Unfortunately, since the NSC is conducted by a 3rd party outside of INZ control, the timeline for completion is not set and can take several months to a year or more ?
Your only point of contact for this is your CO, however, bear in mind that your CO does not have any control of the process so all you can do is be patient and wait it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct that NSC is not mandatory for everyone, however (and only my opinion) for people who were "born" or are "citizens by birth" of countries where there has been unrest - political or otherwise, repression, maybe a high degree of poverty etc etc then it is almost expected that the applicant will require NSC to delve further into the person's history to check any military association. This enhanced security check is completely confidential and will NOT be shared by Immigration and the applicant. Unfortunately, since the NSC is conducted by a 3rd party outside of INZ control, the timeline for completion is not set and can take several months to a year or more ?
Your only point of contact for this is your CO, however, bear in mind that your CO does not have any control of the process so all you can do is be patient and wait it out.
Jesus...several months or a year? kinda locks you down completely doesn't it!

Many thanks for your response though. Frustrating that being born in a country (3rd world admittedly lol) has such an impact

1 - 5 of 5 Posts