Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Would appreciate some kind advice here please.

I'm presently working in the UK. My wife has just came along.

Question is, I'm contributing national insurance, however my wife (who haven't got a job) is not.

If my wife falls sick or requires medical attention, would she be able to use NHS facilities for free through my NI or do we have to pay an arm and a leg for it?

Thank you.

Best regards.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Hi all,

Would appreciate some kind advice here please.

I'm presently working in the UK. My wife has just came along.

Question is, I'm contributing national insurance, however my wife (who haven't got a job) is not.

If my wife falls sick or requires medical attention, would she be able to use NHS facilities for free through my NI or do we have to pay an arm and a leg for it?
Entitlement to free National Health care doesn't depend on contributions but on residency. If she is resident in UK, as opposed to just visiting temporarily, then by registering with a GP, she will be able to access the full range of NHS treatment. Nationality doesn't come into it either. If you go to a surgery together to register her with a GP, she may be asked to somplete a simple statement about her residency, and that usually is sufficient. It may be an idea to take her passport or any other documentary evidence supporting her, just in case, but it isn't usually required.
NI contributions build up eligibility towards state retirement pension, and some welfare benefits like (contribution-based) Jobseeker's allowance, incapacity benefit (when you can't work because of illness or disability, say), maternity allowance and Bereavement allowance. It has nothing to do with entitlement to National Health Service, though the money raised, like other forms of taxation, goes toward its funding. Your wife will be eligible for some of them through your contribution record, but for others she has to build up her own record, such as retirement (she gets more if she makes her own contributions) and maternity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.