Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved from the UK to Aus in 2008, and want to make voluntary NI contributions - but want to apply for them to be Class 2 payments. There is a question on the form about whether I'm "Ordinarily Resident in the UK".

The guidance says to answer this based on my circumstances at the time I left the UK. The common sense answer is that yes, at that time I was leaving, I was ordinarily resident. Immediately after I left - I no longer was. They have a bunch of sample questions to help determine whether the answer is yes or no - and it's still a grey area.

So, I could truthfully answer the question either way. My question is - what's the relevance of this question? Is it better for me to say yes, or no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You might get a broader response if you post in the Britain forum

Thankyou for your response, but it looks like that forum is for people who've moved to the UK, whereas I've moved from the Uk.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes, but there is a fair bit of overlap on these forums with expats reading the forum for the country they are in as well as the country they are from.

·
Registered
23,838 Posts
I moved from the UK to Aus in 2008, and want to make voluntary NI contributions - but want to apply for them to be Class 2 payments. There is a question on the form about whether I'm "Ordinarily Resident in the UK".

The guidance says to answer this based on my circumstances at the time I left the UK. The common sense answer is that yes, at that time I was leaving, I was ordinarily resident. Immediately after I left - I no longer was. They have a bunch of sample questions to help determine whether the answer is yes or no - and it's still a grey area.

So, I could truthfully answer the question either way. My question is - what's the relevance of this question? Is it better for me to say yes, or no?
Common sense says that you are no longer ordinarily resident of uk
Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Common sense says that you are no longer ordinarily resident of uk
Cheers
It does. But the question asks about my status at the time I left the UK, which could be answered either way.

So my question here isn't so much about whether I am or aren't, it's what the relevance and implications are of answering that question one way or the other.3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts