Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just gotten my visa, and will be travelling to the UK in early April to live with my husband. Upon arrival, I'd like to start looking for work as soon as possible.

However, I will need to have a National Insurance number first, correct? Can I begin a job search before I have it in hand, or do I need to have it before I start looking for work?

I have seen information about the number to call, and the process, but am curious how long it usually takes.

Many thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
39,028 Posts
mark_and_laura said:
I've just gotten my visa, and will be travelling to the UK in early April to live with my husband. Upon arrival, I'd like to start looking for work as soon as possible.

However, I will need to have a National Insurance number first, correct? Can I begin a job search before I have it in hand, or do I need to have it before I start looking for work?

I have seen information about the number to call, and the process, but am curious how long it usually takes.

Many thanks in advance! :)
You can apply for your NIN as you start looking for work. Call that number and follow instruction. You will probably be invited to an interview at your local Jobcentre. A card containing your number will then be posted to you. It can take a few weeks but don't worry. Just let your employer know you have applied for it and you will let them know as soon as you have it.

·
Super Moderator
18,010 Posts
Can I begin a job search before I have it in hand, or do I need to have it before I start looking for work?
Yes. If you don't have an NI number (similar to social security) by the time you have a job, you'll be assessed at a generic rate which will be corrected when you actually receive your NI number.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can apply for your NIN as you start looking for work. Call that number and follow instruction. You will probably be invited to an interview at your local Jobcentre. A card containing your number will then be posted to you. It can take a few weeks but don't worry. Just let your employer know you have applied for it and you will let them know as soon as you have it.
Actually they no longer issue NI cards; just a letter with the number. Details of the process can be found here: Applying for a National Insurance number : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

teuchter

·
Registered
39,028 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
That's true. You only get fancy plastic card when you get your number the first time at age 16 when most of you are still at school. My children got theirs but didn't do that when I was young!
Same here ;) mine was just printed on a piece of white card.

teuchter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.