Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently had a thread from someone who couldn't get into the Nanterres Prefecture - IIRC to renew their CDS.

This report confirms the problem https://www.franceinter.fr/emissions/le-zoom-de-la-redaction/le-zoom-de-la-redaction-29-aout-2017.

In short, if you don't spend the night outside queuing or can't find someone to sell you their ticker, it seems you haven't a hope. :faint:

This is absolutely shocking. The only suggestions have for those involved is either move or write to the Prefect.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Préfecture in Lyon was similar

You had to start lining up not long after midnight to be sure of getting a ticket the next morning.

But they started taking appointments a year or two ago.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
It used to be like this at the prefecture in Evry, too.

Though I just stumbled onto this page on the Nanterre website: http://www.hauts-de-seine.gouv.fr/Prendre-un-rendez-vous If you click on the first link there (for information on titres de séjour) it gives you a pdf document that indicates that certain carte de séjour renewals can be done by post while on-line appointments can be made for certain other categories.

Then again, I checked Evry again, and it seems they are now saying that you should take an appointment online at least 3 months before your carte de séjour expires. Though even that varies a bit by category, too.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You had to start lining up not long after midnight to be sure of getting a ticket the next morning.

But they started taking appointments a year or two ago.

apparently at Nanterre you still have to line up, at least if you're a foreigner.

Edit: Just saw Bev's post. I guess in the current circumstances you would need to make an appointment many months in advance, so probably better to do by post if possible.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
apparently at Nanterre you still have to line up, at least if you're a foreigner.

Edit: Just saw Bev's post. I guess in the current circumstances you would need to make an appointment many months in advance, so probably better to do by post if possible.
The page I linked to was evidently updated at the end of July, so no telling if this is some new approach to try to resolve the problem. But you'll note if you skim through the info sheet that first time carte de séjour seekers still have to go to the prefecture to get an appointment, as do spouses and parents of French nationals and a couple other categories.

It will be interesting to see if things have improved any/much come the Rentrée next week.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I have past the place many times in a car and the queue is shocking and depressing. You kinda of think it done like this to deter foreign people from residing in France. Or is simply that the French could not give a shît. Probably a bit of both.

I think also it is a security risk as well. Those queuing are not protected if you know what I mean. It looks an easy target.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The page I linked to was evidently updated at the end of July, so no telling if this is some new approach to try to resolve the problem. But you'll note if you skim through the info sheet that first time carte de séjour seekers still have to go to the prefecture to get an appointment, as do spouses and parents of French nationals and a couple other categories.

It will be interesting to see if things have improved any/much come the Rentrée next week.
Cheers,
Bev
So, still disgraceful. And I suspect it would take them a long time to get through the backlog, even once everyone is back at work.

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
So, still disgraceful. And I suspect it would take them a long time to get through the backlog, even once everyone is back at work.
I don't know how (or if) they got through the backlog here in Essonne, though you hear far fewer complaints now since the "bad old days" when you did have to go queue up starting at 4 or 5 am - and that was when you had to go to the appropriate sous-prefecture (according to where you live) except if you were on a scientific and research visa or (to some extent) a student visa.

I'm not a huge fan of the prefecture here in Essonne in any event. But now that I have my French nationality, I have little or no occasion to have to engage with them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I shouldn't have much need to go to the Prefecture either, and certainly not as a foreigner. But as a French citizen I am thoroughly ashamed and it horrifies me that the elderly and women would find themselves queuing on the street from shortly after midnight and maybe for several nights.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I rely on the Nanterre Prefecture now that I have moved. It is truly insane. I went to try to change my address and status on my carte de sejour in June and the line was easily 1km long, if not longer.

I qualify to apply for nationality but need to change my address on my card before I can do that. I dread attempting it again. I did read that certain guichets were closed this summer, which may have caused a greater wait time, but I doubt it's that much better come la rentree...anyway, I'm no longer in much of a hurry to start the application process now that I've seen what I need to confront...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts