Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ones anyone know if this area is probe to floods? I'm looking to buy and apart from Aix have no knowledge of the area

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I can't help, but perhaps people here know the area. You could do worse than to ask at the Mairie, local immobliers, even the banks! You probably need to do it face to face as people will not put these things in writing or to a complete unknown on the phone.

You can ask "police interrogation" type questions. For instance do not ask " is there flooding here?" because the answer will be "no". If you ask "when was the last flood and how high?" you lead people past the denial bit and they start searching for dates etc.

It can be difficult to get local information such as you are asking. For example, there is a bit of flooding sometimes in the local town, but we are at 600m and unlikely to have flooding problems. Wild boar, deer, and falling boulders on the approach road yes, but flooding is unlikely!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much indeed! I live near Epping forest and we have so many deer and the rain this year bad!!! Is it generally a safe low crime town? Any advice would be fab as I'm single 50 retired from my career and want a horse, my boxer dog is 8 so a little worried about intense heat in summer, visiting this weekend :)

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Hi Rebel iffy

You are doing the right thing - going to visit the place. If possible try for few weeks to see what's really like without the "tourist gloss" that you have when you first arrive.

good luck and feel free to post questions as they arise - moving countries is not easy.

DejW

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you sadly I can't afford that time I had a motorhome for 3 years did Provence vaucluse a lot but dong like do dry!! Dong know var , adore France so I guess I just bed experience the winter only seen mistral in Montpelier!! ??

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
This is the risk map for Var:
cartorisque.prim.net/dpt/83/83_ip.html

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Thank you dear Hils, I always learn something new from you! It's not the easiest map to use though!

DejW
It's not, I agree. There are others if you Google something like "risques inondation <Dept>", (also tells you about seismic and other risks) but that was the first one I picked and just homed in on Var.

h x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.