Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My wife and I have been married for a couple of years and are in the process of taking the final steps with name changes, indefinite leave to remain applications and finally naturalisation. My (Australian) wife's passport and BRP are both in her maiden name and she recently renewed her FLR(M) (to allow time to take the Life in the UK test once other commitments allowed) so we have plenty of time left to run on that visa to get everything else in order.

She would now like to (legally) change her name and to do that we will need to apply to the relevant Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in Aus before applying for a new passport at the embassy in London. The question we are grappling with is whether we do that now or wait until after we have made the SET(M) application.

Our current plan is to arrange all the name change stuff in Australia first before making the SET(M) application immediately thereafter. From what I can tell (but would be grateful if anyone could confirm):

1. there is no problem with making the SET(M) application in circumstances where the name in your passport no longer matches that on your BRP; and
2. I assume that whilst we would struggle to produce sufficient proof of identity in her married name it would be sufficient to include her old Aus passport (in her maiden name), her new Aus passport, the name change certificate from Aus and a couple of bank statements showing her married name (once we have changed her name with the Bank).

Does anyone have experience of this and if so, is there a "best practice" way to go?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.