Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again!

My fiancé and I were married near on two weeks ago, so we’ve been doing research about what our next steps should be. My visa runs out in February, so I figured since I have plenty of time to do so I could go ahead with my name change before applying for FLR (M). I just have a few questions about the process.

1) Since I’m a US citizen, should I change my SS card first or my passport first?
2) Is it alright for me to renew my passport even though it holds my fiancé visa in it? Will I have to get the visa transferred to my new passport or should I just keep both, or what?
3) On the passport application for the US, can I just pick whichever names I want to keep? (I’d rather keep all four names but if it comes to it I’d pick my last over my middle name)
4) I’m getting official copies of the marriage certificate drawn up by the church we were married at right now. Will these be fine to submit with the passport application?
5) For my name usage in the UK to get tenancy agreements and a bank account and whatnot, does the marriage certificate prove it or does the passport need to be changed before I can go by my married name?
6) We are in line to get a flat now, and I’ve been told to get tenancy agreements and whatnot in both my maiden and married name, same with council tax – is this necessary?

I know these are rather silly but any help is appreciated. I’ll likely have more questions again as we work toward FLR (M) in the coming months but for now I’m just most concerned about the name change.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to bring this back up again, but I'm still a little puzzled with everything except question 4 and didnt want to create a new thread. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts

Hi again!

My fiancé and I were married near on two weeks ago, so we’ve been doing research about what our next steps should be. My visa runs out in February, so I figured since I have plenty of time to do so I could go ahead with my name change before applying for FLR (M). I just have a few questions about the process.

Now that you are married, you need to get your FLR(M) before you leave the UK - once you're married the "Multi-entry" portion of the visa is cancelled. Once you get your FLR(M) and your Biometric Residency Permit (BRP) you'll be able to leave and come back again.

1) Since I’m a US citizen, should I change my SS card first or my passport first?
Passport first, as you need it to apply for FLR(M)/leave the UK/re-enter the USA. SS card doesn't do anything for you in the UK, so you can wait to get that changed.

2) Is it alright for me to renew my passport even though it holds my fiancé visa in it? Will I have to get the visa transferred to my new passport or should I just keep both, or what?

As stated above, you'll need your passport to apply for FLR(M). Be sure to have it returned to you when you go to renew in your married name.

Conversely, if you're happy to travel under your maiden name and you have enough validity on your current passport, you can apply for FLR(M) now and then 90 days before you want to have that renewed, change the name in your passport and then lodge your next application in your married name.

If you have less than 2.5 years left on your current passport, it would be in your best interests to have it renewed in your married name and then apply for FLR(M) because if you apply for FLR(M) in your maiden name and then renew your passport in your married name when it expires, you'll have to apply and pay for a new BRP to be issued to you, as the name on the BRP must match the name in your passport - there are no exceptions to this, and failure to notify the Home Office of a change of name within 90 days of the change could result in a £1000 fine.

3) On the passport application for the US, can I just pick whichever names I want to keep? (I’d rather keep all four names but if it comes to it I’d pick my last over my middle name)

It doesn't matter to the Home Office what names you use in your passport (for my Canadian passport, I adopted my maiden last name as a new middle name and use my husband's last name as my own), as long as the name on the BRP matches the name in your passport.

In regards to your SS card, you should consult with the SS administration as to what names they'll let you use. I know that for my Canadian Social Insurance Number (the Canadian equivalent to the US SS), the Canadian government wouldn't allow me to use my maiden name as a middle name on my file so, for my SIN file, I just have my birth first and middle names and my married last name.

4) I’m getting official copies of the marriage certificate drawn up by the church we were married at right now. Will these be fine to submit with the passport application?

That would depend on what the US passport office requires. For my Canadian passport, the Canadian passport office won't accept a marriage certificate or a UK Deed Poll (the UK way to change one's name unlike how, in most jurisdictions in North America, one has to file and pay and advertise the intention to change in the newspaper) for a change of name in my passport; I had to provide a government issued piece of ID in the name I wanted to use, so I had to get my UK drivers license changed to reflect the names I wanted in my passport (it, like my SIN card had my birth first and middle names and my husband's last name so I had to get that changed to reflect the change I wanted)

5) For my name usage in the UK to get tenancy agreements and a bank account and whatnot, does the marriage certificate prove it or does the passport need to be changed before I can go by my married name?

From my experience (I've been here for 5 years now), the marriage certificate is enough in most instances (if in doubt, you can do up a deed poll -
directions on what's required are in the link) but for things like banking, I'd be inclined to provide official documentation like your passport rather than the marriage certificate or a piece of paper that anyone can make up for their own convenience.

6) We are in line to get a flat now, and I’ve been told to get tenancy agreements and whatnot in both my maiden and married name, same with council tax – is this necessary?

No, not really. The Home Office will be able to track your file from now until you get Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residency) and they'll know that you've applied for initial entry clearance under your maiden name and subsequently provided a marriage certificate to get your Fiancée Visa adjusted to a spousal visa (i.e. the visa you need to get before your Fiancée Visa runs out in February), so having documents in both your maiden and married names is fine as they (the Home Office) realise that some documents will be in your maiden name and others will be in your married name and as long as the names match up with the ones you present to them in your application(s), they don't really care too much either way.

I know these are rather silly but any help is appreciated. I’ll likely have more questions again as we work toward FLR (M) in the coming months but for now I’m just most concerned about the name change.

Incidentally, now that you are married, you are more than welcome to apply for FLR(M) - there is no waiting period required; just fill in the application, submit the requisite docs (basically marriage certificate and the proof of your husband's employment/employment income and housing documentation you submitted for the Fiancée Visa - no need to provide pictures or proof of communication or anything like that... you're just showing that you've fulfilled your obligation to get married and that your husband still has the requisite income) and pay the fees (IHS and application fee to start, plus the Premium Appointment fee if you decide to partake of a Premium Service Centre appointment - you can usually get a decision the same day).

Also keep in mind that you need to file before your Fiancée Visa expires in February.

Thanks again!

Congratulations on your recent marriage!

Reactions: thelittlestmiju

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
once you're married the "Multi-entry" portion of the visa is cancelled
I don't think this is true... People have travelled before on their fiancé visa after getting married, it's not highly advisable because technically they aren't a "fiancé" anymore, but I'm quite certain that the visa doesn't suddenly become invalid for travel when the holder gets married.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
I don't think this is true... People have travelled before on their fiancé visa after getting married, it's not highly advisable because technically they aren't a "fiancé" anymore, but I'm quite certain that the visa doesn't suddenly become invalid for travel when the holder gets married.
No, the visa itself iisn't cancelled but OP faces the possibility of not being allowed back into the UK or, at least, a huge hassle if she tries to travel on it now, before she is granted her FLR(M).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the detailed answers!

My passport actually expires in December 2019, so just over 2 years but not long enough until the next FLR application, so I will have to renew the passport regardless of the name change. I'm glad to know I can actually change it over before applying for this FLR, though.

In regards to booking an appointment - do I have to pay all of the associated fees at once like I did with the Fiance visa, or are they going to ask for fees at separate times? I ask because I've looked at the FLR(M) application I need to print and it asks for payment details there, but they also want me to pay IHS before picking at date for my appointment so I just want to be sure before going into it (also just curious for financial planning reasons of course :X).

Also no worries, I have no travel plans for quite a while anyway, so that's no issue.

Thanks again!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.