Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum people, been a viewer of this for a few years now, and if it's ok with you guys, I'd love to give you my story...

Visited Oz in 2004 with my then g/f, and I loved it. I could have stayed but only came over on an tourist visa for 4 weeks. Since then (8 years ago) Ive bounced back and forwards between moving over. Im now 29 and work for an electronics retailer (think of a fruit :tongue1:) as a store Manager. Ive been with them for 4 years and enjoy my job.

They have stores in Melbourne and this week I'm going to be looking down the route of sponsorship, but the chances are very low.
I still have to use my 12 month Holiday Visa, which I've been told to use and move over when funds allow.

So my question is, if my company will not sponsor me (unlikely), am I just better using my Holiday visa, putting my head down and finding a job? A lot of people move from Ireland to Oz, but they end up home within months, I have just come out of a relationship and just feel now theres no better time to move to a country I feel in love with.

Any advice, hints tips or pointers would be amazing!

This is my first post, and I'm really excited at the possibilities that lie ahead of me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
You could consider using your holiday visa and work for your present employer in one of their Australian stores. That way they would get the benefit of your experience. However there are limitations to the W/H visa. Not sure how long you can stay with that employer. Did you check on the website if the W/H visa helps in an application for a longer-term visa?

Also, why do you think your employer will not sponsor you. Perhaps if you offer to pay the sponsorship fee it might help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
With my w/h visa I can work 6 months with them, and after 4.5 years with them and having worked my way up the company, I'm not sure I want to just leave them behind after so much.

I'm going into work early today to scan our HR website as there is a section that states they WILL sponsor, but I have to have everything else sorted for this to happen. I'm going to hold them to their word, lol.

I would be willing to pay for everything, as I want to give this a real go. After 8 years of thinking how great it would be, my finger has been pulled out and I'm ready to do this!

Just for my understanding, if they are willing to give me a job, would I be applying for a 457 Visa? That gives me 4 years? There are other sponsorship visas, what's the difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
With my w/h visa I can work 6 months with them, and after 4.5 years with them and having worked my way up the company, I'm not sure I want to just leave them behind after so much.

I'm going into work early today to scan our HR website as there is a section that states they WILL sponsor, but I have to have everything else sorted for this to happen. I'm going to hold them to their word, lol.

I would be willing to pay for everything, as I want to give this a real go. After 8 years of thinking how great it would be, my finger has been pulled out and I'm ready to do this!

Just for my understanding, if they are willing to give me a job, would I be applying for a 457 Visa? That gives me 4 years? There are other sponsorship visas, what's the difference?

Thanks
There are state sponsorship visas as well (which is what I have) and you can be sponsored by a relative or friend if they meet certain coinditions. It's a while since I was on the DIADC website but you should go through it. To get a 176 visa you have to have a profession which is on the state migration plan for the particular state - then they will sponsor you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.