Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why I came to Ferreira

:plane: I became homeless in the UK in July 2012, having walked from yeovil Junction train station down to Westbay and followed the coast towards cornwall it was sheer luck or fate or destiny that I needed Fresh water. I came across a sign on a cliff edge pointing inland that said River Otter 3 & three Quarter miles to Otterton. Having made it there I set up camp on the River. within 2 days I met a Hunter who kindly offered me to stay on his land for a few days in exmouth. a week or 2 later i met him at his Beautiful home. I then met his Brother who unfortunately had Parkinsons Desease & an amputated leg. This man had a farmhouse in Ferreira do Alentejo and asked if I would come here to look after his land & property. I replied if you can pay for flight I'd be glad to work until the flight was paid for. Thats Exactly what i did and after one and a half years the work was done My dept repaid and then without reason contact stopped, no explaination my text were ignored and my phone calls. in the end I was left with no choice but to leave and find others to help. as I said in my first post I've an interesting story to tell

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow. I have 5 words for you: You are a good man. Shame on him. A good person is hard to find, you know. Guess what ? You are one of them. Thanks for sharing your story with us. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:second: That must make 2 of us, your words are truly meaningful and you are the second person to have said this to me in three years, the first is a Portuguese shepherd that I have also helped for 5 months. this is another part of my story. Thankyou so much
:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So having left Abagoria I then helped a new person in Ferreira, I looked after 5 dogs, cleared Rubbish, washed windows & shutters, mopped floors, painted, cleaned the pool and many other jobs during the day in what could be described as a mansion like villa under construction and at night I provided security. After 3 months it was time to leave so I went to a beautiful lake in odivilas with my backpack & tent, I stayed for around a week and had a great time, fishing, swimming and relaxing it was glorious.
On the 5th of August 2014 I got the coach to Lisbon to renew my passport as by now I had the money to do so, I went to the British Consulate with my new photo's & money however it never went to plan.
I was told I couldn't renew my passport in portugal & that i would have to purchase a temp pass costing 160 euro's, book a flight and get to the airport on the same day as the pass was only valid for 24 hours it was already 14:40 & they shut at 15:00... :boxing: Shock. I couldn't believe my ears, I looked on there computer to find only travel information no options to book flights so I left and so a new journey began which I shall tell in my next post :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seems you have had some adventures in your lifetime. Ever looked into writing some sort of articles or book to make money . Just saying you might be able to find someone to help you that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure I can give you specific names but I can tell you that I've helped at least 20 members of the English community, I've also helped a lovely Portuguese family who have a Rural Experience business under the name chalasa, you can find this online I've also just finished helping a portuguese shepherd and his family. A story I'll be Telling today, I hope this satisfactory Thankyou

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I began my journey back in England I wrote down many of the places visited, wildlife encountered and people I met, I've been doing the same here with the intention of doing exactly that Writing a book which will tell the story of how one decision to become homeless and start to see some of the country I live in became the Best decision I Ever made. I feel now that I have Lived more of life in 3 years than I have the other 35, which to be honest was work, pay ever increasing bills and struggle to even feed my self at times... I simply had enough of living the civil Life. Unfortunately right now I'm just trying to survive as I've been doing but now with no money and so any time soon A new Journey begins as I attempt to walk to the Algarve, I hear that the English Churches can help me to get back on my feet and get my head straight. Thankyou for the Advice It's truely appreciated

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My walk of a lifetime Pt 2

:) So having failed to get a passport & not wanting to return to England at that time I decided that I would have a long holiday instead, I had a CRAZY idea:eyebrows: I'll walk to Italy. So I proceeded to the cost of Lisbon & walked East, though I can't write all the places I passed through her are some which include:- Villa Franca, Cartaxo, Almarim, Montagil, Avis, Ponte de Sor, Pontinho... Really I could go on. I walked from Lisbon to Portalegra in 38 days I injured my left ankle and while compensating for this I injured my right knee. And so the rest of the journey took a further 4 months, from Portalegra to Olivensa in Spain to Villa Nuaver and back to Portugal through st leonard to Pedrogao Grande where I then followed the river Guardiana. By now I'd spent all the money on things like 4 pairs of trainer/boots, 3 Tents and various bits and bobs to help with my survival tactics. I did go to many cafe's along the way to avoid the hottest parts of the day. I fished at the lakes Montagil, Moranho, Caia & Alchever. I finally got picked up 19 Km the other side of Beja just before Serpa on the 3rd of December. So What happened to walking to Italy! well it was a Crazy idea but i feel the Journey isn't over yet as any day now or within a week Maximum I shall be walking to the Algarve via the N2 Road to Ervidel & Aljustrel who knows where I'll end up, who knows who Else i'll find to help :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you jorge123 I'll be fine, Simply believing this is all I need. Also I know I'm watched over I've become a little spiritual on this journey & I'll share with you my reason for this, though this is just one example & I've had many...
Yesterday morning while pouring the last of my porridge & cornflakes I wondered what will I eat for my dinner tonight, the first thing that popped into my head was a snake in the road. And sure enough on my way to this library to use this computer I found a foot long snake in the road with it's back end run over, I put this in the shade and collected it on my way back to tent. If your curious it's the first time I tried snake and it was like Elasticated Chicken. It's the first piece of meat I've had in 2 weeks and believe me on a journey like this the energy & boost you get can only be found in meat and so there in you learn it's value Road Kill or not. Thank you for your concern and Kindness I hope you get all you Desire in life and if not then Simply Believe you can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking of heading to an Island in croatia which has been abandoned but still has standing buildings, water wells, fig tree's and wildlife surrounded by ocean. Italy was just a point to head to before attempting the latter. thankyou & yes I believe there is a life force that drives all things and it is this force you can call god.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my walk of life time finale

:)So on December 3rd I found a nice tin shack and with the owners permission set my tent up inside to shield myself from any wind and rain should there be any, as this man was kind enough to help me I cleaned his land of 3-4 huge piles of olive branches and old logs with my large camp fire which kept me warm at night. On the 22nd December I met a Shepherd & his friend who were kind enough to bring me food and wine on Christmas eve. After new year I'd learned that the shepherd was desperate to find work as shepherding doesn't pay often enough and he has a wife & three daughters. And one evening during yet another restless night an idea came to me, that morning I spoke to the shepherd and said "I'll come stay on your land provide security for your 70 odd goats and sheep, chickens, ducks and dogs, you teach me to sheep herd while you look for work you pay me just 20 euro's per week until you find work & after 2 months of working you pay 30 euro's per week to work 5 days by myself". And so he has for 5 months had a better life and I've had money for food and tobacco. It is he who I now await a final payment of 25 - 35 euro's hopefully today, though I've only been paid 6 euro's in three weeks... Hence my Desperation

1 - 15 of 15 Posts