Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to coming to the Philippines, I made contact with a PRA marketer, basically an agent who guides you and assists in the process. This is a no cost service and is well worth taking advantage of.

I filled out all the application form, attached passport copies and sent it to the marketer who reviewed and confirmed that all was in order.

I needed a criminal record check. This required me to be fingerprinted and then the check made by the RCMP. Since I was outside of Canada at the time I made my application for the record check, I needed to have the local police take ink fingerprints and then send a scan of that to a fingerprinting service in Canada. They also needed a locally notarized copy of my passport and id. Other countries will have different practices but the criminal record check is national and you need the original dated within 6 months opf the application. ( I had one earlier this year but it expired before I could get here.)

The RCMP check then needed to be legalized by the Philippine Consulate in Canada. I had the record check delivered to my daughter in Canada. Then it was sent to a service in Ottawa that took it to the embassy and had it legalized on my behalf.

Total cost for everything was $US500. This was a lot higher than it would have been had I actually been in Ottawa. Then I could have had the fingerprinting done at the RCMP and I could have taken the document to the Philippine Embassy myself and had it processed. Total costs would have been less than $100 CDN.

I also transferred the deposit to the BDO branch here in the Philippines by wire transfer. The only issue was a fee of $25 taken off at the receiving end which meant that I had to top it up with cash to get the full amount.

On my arrival, I went to a local photo shop and had 12 2x2 pictures made. (I got extras for other applications as I assume sooner or I later will need them. A small supply of pictures is a good idea to have when in a lot of third world countries as they are often asked for on applications.)

On the day of the appointment, I went to the PRA office in Makati. The marketer met me there and she took care of the most of the process. I basically just sat there. I needed $US 1,400 for the application form plus another $US360 for the first year fee. All payable in cash as they do not take credit cards or cheque.

We then went to a medical clinic; the medical consisted of a urine sample, an x-ray and a blood sample (just a finger prick with the blood drawn in a pipette.) No physical exam or even any medical questions. I have no idea what they will test for but I am assuming a drug screen and looking for TB on the x-ray as a minimum. The cost fo this was covered by the PRA fee, no additional payment was needed.

Then to the BDO for the transfer of the deposit and the opening of my account. It is a term deposit held in my name with a caveat on the account that the PRA approval is needed for withdrawal.

Total time including taxi to and from the clinic was 2 and a half hours.

I had to return to the PRA to in my passport and get a stamped letter from the PRA stating that they have it so I have some form of proof that I am legal in the country. The deposit confirmation and medical clearance were there two days later. This visit took a little longer as there was a waiting line to get served but it was only about a 30-minute wait and the processing time was about 10 minutes once we were served.

I will also need to pay the p 4500 to extend my tourist visa to 60 days to allow for the processing time. This might not be needed if the PRA approves my visa within the tourist visa period. I have been told that it is currently 6 to 8 weeks to receive my SRRV.

I’ll update at the end of the process.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Thanks for the on the ground info Manitoba. I thought the processing time was one to two weeks once doc's were submitted. We live in hope but follow their rules. Good luck and hope all goes smoothly.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did get an email from my marketer where she was asking he PRA about a number of visas, mine included. She indicated in that that 4 weeks or less was about the normal processing time, not the 6 to 8 I was told by her assistant. She was making the case that the PRA should get them processed so that the clients did not have to pay for a tourist visa extension.

This coming Wednesday will be 3 weeks from all documents submitted so late this week is about the earliest I had expected and the latest will be 8 Nov.

I really do not care how long it will take, I just do not like being in a foreign country without my passport.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I did get an email from my marketer where she was asking he PRA about a number of visas, mine included. She indicated in that that 4 weeks or less was about the normal processing time, not the 6 to 8 I was told by her assistant. She was making the case that the PRA should get them processed so that the clients did not have to pay for a tourist visa extension.

This coming Wednesday will be 3 weeks from all documents submitted so late this week is about the earliest I had expected and the latest will be 8 Nov.

I really do not care how long it will take, I just do not like being in a foreign country without my passport.
You have copies and a valid excuse not to hold the original so relax mate. Good luck and as said keep us posted on the process.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have copies and a valid excuse not to hold the original so relax mate. Good luck and as said keep us posted on the process.

Cheers, Steve.
I am not concerned about that, I have spent time in places a lot more unstable than the Philippines and always had my passport and a bundle of cash in case we had to make a run for it.

Old habits die hard.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a text message yesterday that my SRRV was approved. That was the 17th working day after submission.

I go next Wednesday to pick it up and get my passport back. That will be 4 weeks to the day from full submission of application and all supporting documents.

I will post on that experience later.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks for the on the ground info Manitoba. I thought the processing time was one to two weeks once doc's were submitted. We live in hope but follow their rules. Good luck and hope all goes smoothly.

Cheers, Steve.
Yes a very informative resume of what is required, which I think is rather extensive to say the least. It has also turned out to be a very expensive one for him IMO.
But if the OP is happy at the end of the exercise that is the main thing.
It is an expensive Visa I believe, given there is still an annual fee that is only slightly less than a Tourist visa for 12 months.

Can anyone advise whether the purchase of a property can be substituted for the 10kUSD? Even if it is in name of partner? If such was the case, I would think about it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yes a very informative resume of what is required, which I think is rather extensive to say the least. It has also turned out to be a very expensive one for him IMO.
But if the OP is happy at the end of the exercise that is the main thing.
It is an expensive Visa I believe, given there is still an annual fee that is only slightly less than a Tourist visa for 12 months.

Can anyone advise whether the purchase of a property can be substituted for the 10kUSD? Even if it is in name of partner? If such was the case, I would think about it.
Hi Ron, this is only my take on your situation, based on research for my circumstances, perhaps Manitoba can correct if he has up to date info.

I believe if you are married and the property is in your good ladies name it is hers and cannot be used to return the deposit with PRA. I do hope I am wrong in your instance.
From what I have read a return of the deposit from PRA will be given with the purchase of a condominium or a long term lease (25 years) from a third party, as our relationship is not recognised in PH then we have a lease arrangement and we should (not set in concrete as with most things here) get our deposit back.
While yes it is costly, the initial application fee and ongoing annual fees there are many perks that go with this type of visa, shipping household good, exit clearances and the good one for me is not having to visit BI every 6 months and the, I believe annual trip to Makati is a great opportunity for shopping and catching up with friends.

When all said and done Ron if I didn't want to ship our belongings, in and out of the country frequently when we move there, we, economically would be better with the tourist visa, done this before and though a pain every 59 days at the time it's now 6 months.
Hope you are both settling in, sounds like you are and hope to catch up in March when we are back in San Juan. Good luck with your research and feedback from your post.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a 25x25 year lease on the house. So qualify there. I wonder seeing that it is already in place, will they waive the $10k requirement? Might have to ask the OP for contact with this facilitating person, but surely there is a fee?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have a 25x25 year lease on the house. So qualify there. I wonder seeing that it is already in place, will they waive the $10k requirement? Might have to ask the OP for contact with this facilitating person, but surely there is a fee?
Hey Ron, is the house you purchased in your wife's name? My understanding of PH law is a lease cannot be between a husband and wife as they are considered a single entity but perhaps your lease is through an independent company at arms length from your wife.
Perhaps seek legal advice regarding your circumstance or contact the PRA directly or others may advise.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes its in her name Steve and I think you may be right about that. But there may be a way around that and I will explain when we meet up next March.
There is no hurry for me on this, will speak to my lawyer here who is very good. Most of the expats in this area use him, well regarded.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yes its in her name Steve and I think you may be right about that. But there may be a way around that and I will explain when we meet up next March.
There is no hurry for me on this, will speak to my lawyer here who is very good. Most of the expats in this area use him, well regarded.
As said Ron feet on the ground as your feet are now in PH. ATM you know more than me and I am sure I will gain good advice from you in times to come as I/we are still trying to source/secure reliable info that relates to our situation.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
439 Posts
As said Ron feet on the ground as your feet are now in PH. ATM you know more than me and I am sure I will gain good advice from you in times to come as I/we are still trying to source/secure reliable info that relates to our situation.

Cheers, Steve.
Will always be happy to help Steve.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
y
Hey Ron, is the house you purchased in your wife's name? My understanding of PH law is a lease cannot be between a husband and wife as they are considered a single entity but perhaps your lease is through an independent company at arms length from your wife.
Perhaps seek legal advice regarding your circumstance or contact the PRA directly or others may advise.

Cheers, Steve.
That's my understanding of the family code, beware most lawyers in the Philippines are shysters and will tell you what you want to hear just to get your money. An arms lenght company would almost certainly fall under the anti dummy laws.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone has different circumstances. In my case, the SRRV will help with my Canadian tax situation so the deposit is worth it.

It is a term deposit and I do get interest on the amount, only 1% but that is better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish. If I ever convert it to a condo or long-term lease then I am not out of pocket any more than I would be on qa tourist visa.

The annual fee is a single payment and can be done electronically. No more need to go to the BI and stand in line. I actually do not even have to spend time in the Philippines to maintain the SRRV and Philippine residency.

Also if I leave and return, no need for a disposable ticket anymore. I can fly in on a one-way ticket now.

Everyone has to pick the best option to suit their needs. For me this was the best, for others renewing tourist visa may very well be the best.

My aim was to provide the information necessary to help people decide and to proceed if they do pick the SRRV option.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Everyone has different circumstances. In my case, the SRRV will help with my Canadian tax situation so the deposit is worth it.

It is a term deposit and I do get interest on the amount, only 1% but that is better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish. If I ever convert it to a condo or long-term lease then I am not out of pocket any more than I would be on qa tourist visa.

The annual fee is a single payment and can be done electronically. No more need to go to the BI and stand in line. I actually do not even have to spend time in the Philippines to maintain the SRRV and Philippine residency.

Also if I leave and return, no need for a disposable ticket anymore. I can fly in on a one-way ticket now.

Everyone has to pick the best option to suit their needs. For me this was the best, for others renewing tourist visa may very well be the best.

My aim was to provide the information necessary to help people decide and to proceed if they do pick the SRRV option.
And you did that very well, an excellent post. It gave me a bit more insight into the SRRV. Do you get a Seniors Card if over 60 years of age? I thought I read once when researching it that you do, but I may be wrong. They are quite handy and you can pick up some good discounts in day to day living?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts