Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I'm American and my husband is British- we got married through a marriage visa in September in the UK (then had a big ol celebration earlier this month in the states) and now we're starting the visa process for me to move over there. We've had enough of long distance!! One concern is that we've only been together since August/Sept 2011. I heard that if the relationship is less than 3 years the application will be under a lot of scrutiny.

Here's everything that I have compiled:

Application (will do online as well)
Appendix 2

Current passport (with new married name)
Previous passport
2 passport sized photos
Original marriage certificate
Official copy of marriage certificate

Husband's letter: when we met, started our relationship, our marriage, engagement, where I'll live, his financial responsibility for me
Colour copy of my husband's passport
Email from his boss regarding his continued employment
Paystubs for the past 6 months (he exceeds the 18,600 minimum)
Cover letter for finances

Tenancy agreement/letter from estate agency (I can be added to the tenancy pending visa approval)
Bills paid at this address (we only have one month of water so far)

20 photos of the two of us
Skype screenshots of our call log
Emails
Hotel receipts
Flight itineraries

Letter from my parents regarding our relationship (when they met him, knowledge of marriage, etc.)
Priority payent receipt
Proposed flight details

Questions:

- I already did my biometrics for my marriage visa- do I need to redo them for this visa? If so, what's the exact timeline and order of events? The UKBA page is so vague.

- The 2 passport sized photos; can these be the exact same image?

- Should the letter from my husband and the financial explanation be signed? Also, his letter was straightforward about the facts of our relationship. Would they rather see emotion and devotion?

- We rented our house beginning in August and before that my husband was living at home to save money. Do we need to include information from his parents?

- Should the photos be timestamped? I have some screenshots from facebook which show the uploaded date if that helps.

- I stayed with his parents for all my visits except the most recent ones, should I get a letter from them regarding our relationship?

- TB tests are always required for university in the US, should I just include my immunization record? Or should I get a new one done?

- Explanation of no shared finances: I can't be put on any of the bills until I have a visa and the same goes for a bank account. Will this hurt my application?

- Two names on the two passports; marriage certificate explains this of course. Do I need my birth certificate anyway?

- Do they take emails seriously? I.e. the email from my husband's employer regarding his history with the company and continued employment.

- I've traveled to the UK many times and each one was to see my now husband. For the explanation of the trips do I just put him?

- For the language requirement: I'm from the US, is that enough? Or should I include my diplomas for proof?

- Appendix 2, question 1.19: I "lived" in the UK for three months (not working of course). Does that apply as "yes" for "Have you lived with your sponsor in a relationship akin to marriage at any time?

- Appendix 2, question 2.8: I intend to work in the UK upon visa approval only. Should I say I intend or do not intend? I feel like it's a trick question! I do not have any prospective jobs waiting to hear from me.

- Appendix 2, part 3C: My husband has his own company but there currently isn't any profit; it's very very small and doesn't have an impact on our finances at the moment. Include it or will it just confuse? We do not need it to complete the financial requirement.

Finally, here's what I have in my head as the process and please correct me if I'm wrong! So many details to keep track of:

Complete online application with priority processing
Mail paper application and supporting documents same day or asap to Sheffield
Redo biometrics same day or asap (if needed)
Hear confirmation of arrival for my stuff and receive timeline
...hopefully only a few days later...
Get confirmation of their decision
Receive items and visa in the mail

Thank you so much to anyone and everyone that replies! You're all internet saints!

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
Every time you apply for a visa, you have to do biometrics.

As long as the photos aren't out of date, I don't see why not... Check the guidance for specifics regarding the maximum length of time since the photos were taken is permissible.

In the infamous words of Joe Friday, "Just the facts, Ma'am." No emotion necessary... keep it business like as possible.

In regards to housing, they just want to be sure that you aren't crowded. No need to explain that you've only just started renting... as long as the house is in good working order and not overcrowded, you are fine.

No real need for time stamps on the photos, especially if they're taken at different times of the year. You might want to write a caption on the back (I.e. Coming to America to meet my parents for the first time Summer 2010 or Granny's 90th birthday in Manchester New Year 2012 or similar) but if there's no time stamp, don't sweat it.

No need for letter from your in-laws... chances are that it'd get ignored. The fact that you made good on your Marriage visitor visa and are applying as a Spouse is enough proof that you're in a durable relationship.

I don't think TB tests are necessary for North American applicants.... I didn't need one when I applied for a fiancée visa last year, but this may have change (not likely though).

Nope... I didn't have any shared financial responsibility with my husband and I still got my visa.

No need for birth certificate unless you were born outside of the US and moved there as a child. If you want to send it, you can, but if you don't, it doesn't matter.

Personal emails are o.k., but any correspondence from employers would best be presented on company letterhead.

Yes, just putting "visits to see husband" is sufficient.

Your US passport is enough proof of your exempt status in regards to the English language requirement... No other documentation needed.

No, doesn't really count, as it was for a short time that could have been provided for on a tourist visa.

You could go either way with this one. When I applied, I stated that I would like to take up work as a pharmacy technician in the UK but that I would also stop working when we had children. We are still trying for kids and I am working as an exam proctor (I'd have to go back to school to retrain to become a tech... not feasible at this time).

I don't know for this one... I'd be inclined to mention it, even though it doesn't affect your financial bottom line. If in doubt, disclose and the ECO will decide whether it's relevant to your application.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your marriage! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Hey all!

I'm American and my husband is British- we got married through a marriage visa in September in the UK (then had a big ol celebration earlier this month in the states) and now we're starting the visa process for me to move over there. We've had enough of long distance!! One concern is that we've only been together since August/Sept 2011. I heard that if the relationship is less than 3 years the application will be under a lot of scrutiny.

Here's everything that I have compiled:

Application (will do online as well)
Appendix 2

Current passport (with new married name)
Previous passport
2 passport sized photos
Original marriage certificate
Official copy of marriage certificate

Husband's letter: when we met, started our relationship, our marriage, engagement, where I'll live, his financial responsibility for me
Colour copy of my husband's passport
Email from his boss regarding his continued employment
Paystubs for the past 6 months (he exceeds the 18,600 minimum)
Cover letter for finances

Tenancy agreement/letter from estate agency (I can be added to the tenancy pending visa approval)
Bills paid at this address (we only have one month of water so far)

20 photos of the two of us
Skype screenshots of our call log
Emails
Hotel receipts
Flight itineraries

Letter from my parents regarding our relationship (when they met him, knowledge of marriage, etc.)
Priority payent receipt
Proposed flight details

Questions:

- I already did my biometrics for my marriage visa- do I need to redo them for this visa? If so, what's the exact timeline and order of events? The UKBA page is so vague.
You do biometrics for every visa.

- The 2 passport sized photos; can these be the exact same image?
In fact, they should be the same image.

- Should the letter from my husband and the financial explanation be signed? Also, his letter was straightforward about the facts of our relationship. Would they rather see emotion and devotion?
Straightforward is fine.

- We rented our house beginning in August and before that my husband was living at home to save money. Do we need to include information from his parents?
No. They want to know that you have adequate accommodation. They don't care about previous accommodation.

- Should the photos be timestamped? I have some screenshots from facebook which show the uploaded date if that helps.
Not necessary.

- I stayed with his parents for all my visits except the most recent ones, should I get a letter from them regarding our relationship?
Letters of personal declaration from friends and family are subjective and will do nothing to strengthen your application and are unlikely to even be considered.

- TB tests are always required for university in the US, should I just include my immunization record? Or should I get a new one done?
US citizens are not required to have a TB test.

- Explanation of no shared finances: I can't be put on any of the bills until I have a visa and the same goes for a bank account. Will this hurt my application?
No.

- Two names on the two passports; marriage certificate explains this of course. Do I need my birth certificate anyway?
No.

- Do they take emails seriously? I.e. the email from my husband's employer regarding his history with the company and continued employment.
The letter of employment should be a signed original on company letterhead. Additionally, you need your husbands original employment contract.

- I've traveled to the UK many times and each one was to see my now husband. For the explanation of the trips do I just put him?
Yes.

- For the language requirement: I'm from the US, is that enough? Or should I include my diplomas for proof?
Your nationality is proof that you meet the language requirement.

- Appendix 2, question 1.19: I "lived" in the UK for three months (not working of course). Does that apply as "yes" for "Have you lived with your sponsor in a relationship akin to marriage at any time?
You haven't lived with your sponsor, you visited him. Put no.

- Appendix 2, question 2.8: I intend to work in the UK upon visa approval only. Should I say I intend or do not intend? I feel like it's a trick question! I do not have any prospective jobs waiting to hear from me.
If you intend to work then say yes. It's not a trick question. They are not looking for you to have a job already lined up.

- Appendix 2, part 3C: My husband has his own company but there currently isn't any profit; it's very very small and doesn't have an impact on our finances at the moment. Include it or will it just confuse? We do not need it to complete the financial requirement.
If you are not using this to meet the financial requirement leave it out. You are absolutely right that it could potentially confuse the situation. Unnecessary information can both confuse the situation and slow things down.

Additionally:

You don't need a letter explaining your finances. You do need 6 months of bank statements covering the same time period as the pay slips.

You do need a letter from the landlord stating that it's ok for you to move in. You should also include the council tax bill.

Leave out the letter from your parents. Again, it's subjective and will carry no weight.

You should also write a statement about your relationship which broadly echos your husbands but in your own words.

Finally, here's what I have in my head as the process and please correct me if I'm wrong! So many details to keep track of:

Complete online application with priority processing
Mail paper application and supporting documents same day or asap to Sheffield
Redo biometrics same day or asap (if needed)
Hear confirmation of arrival for my stuff and receive timeline
...hopefully only a few days later...
Get confirmation of their decision
Receive items and visa in the mail

Thank you so much to anyone and everyone that replies! You're all internet saints!
You are unlikely to get confirmation of the decision. You will get an email simply stating that a decision has been made and your passport and documents are being returned to you.

Don't forget to include a waybill from FedEx, UPS or DHL so your package can be returned to you. You will need to open and account with one of the above in order to do that.

Include copies of everything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your input!! Really appreciate it.

My husband has just sent a file with all of his things but not the bank statements. Would copies be permissible? Would I be able to have an online version printed?

Also, there's no original contract for his employment but I have a letter from his boss (a PDF I'll print) stating the start of his employment. The paystubs, of course, confirm his salary. Is that okay?

He hasn't received a council tax bill as of yet (with a move in date of August 8th). Is this crucial? Shall I explain this?

I assume the originals would be ideal for everything, however, he did already send the package without these items.

Additionally, I will run out of space in a few areas like the explanation of flights I think. Should I attach a separate sheet of paper or is only the stuff that fits in the "additional info" section allowed?

Thanks, again, guys! Really appreciate how helpful this forum has proven to be.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Thanks guys for your input!! Really appreciate it.

My husband has just sent a file with all of his things but not the bank statements. Would copies be permissible? Would I be able to have an online version printed?
Bank statements are crucial and they MUST be originals. Copies and online statements on there own ARE NOT acceptable because they can be altered. If originals are not available, he must get the bank to stamp each and every page of copies or write a letter on letterhead stating they are true copies.

Also, there's no original contract for his employment but I have a letter from his boss (a PDF I'll print) stating the start of his employment. The paystubs, of course, confirm his salary. Is that okay?
Not really. Pay slips, bank statements, contract and letter of employment should all be originals.

He hasn't received a council tax bill as of yet (with a move in date of August 8th). Is this crucial? Shall I explain this?
He moved 3 months ago and still hasn't gotten a council tax bill? Why not? It shouldn't take 3 months to get a council tax bill.

I assume the originals would be ideal for everything, however, he did already send the package without these items.
It might be inconvenient, but originals are required. You really need to sort out the missing items.

Additionally, I will run out of space in a few areas like the explanation of flights I think. Should I attach a separate sheet of paper or is only the stuff that fits in the "additional info" section allowed?

Thanks, again, guys! Really appreciate how helpful this forum has proven to be.
Either include it in additional info or a separate sheet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.