Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have using some c.ds to give me a grounding in Spanish but thought I would go to the Spanish Institute which is within walking distance (always a big plus here) to have lessons . The fees are no problem, the walk is no problem crickey I even have a jotter and pen but what I didn't think off was that my teacher only speaks Arabic and Spanish lol.
I speak some Arabic but not really enough to learn a foreign language. :eek:

Maiden

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
confusing or what!!????? I have a similar problem when I'm helping my daughter with her french homework. I can speak french, but I cant understand the Spanish questions or explanations!??

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,528 Posts
I have using some c.ds to give me a grounding in Spanish but thought I would go to the Spanish Institute which is within walking distance (always a big plus here) to have lessons . The fees are no problem, the walk is no problem crickey I even have a jotter and pen but what I didn't think off was that my teacher only speaks Arabic and Spanish lol.

Maiden
I used to teach English to a Moroccan guy in a group of Spanish people

he had only just arrived in Spain & couldn't speak Spanish either (so we had no language in common) - he intended to study in the UK so decided to take English lessons rather than Spanish - he hoped he'd pick the Spanish up 'on the street'

he actually learned at least as quickly as the Spanish speakers, and sometimes faster - they constantly asked for translations, which he obviously couldn't!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Maiden
I suppose it depends on how he teaches it. It can actually be to your advantage to learn a foreign language without having everything translated. This is the way that TEFL teachers are trained to teach. I used to teach English to refugees in London so you can imagine how many different languages they spoke, but they all did very well. And when I decided to learn Spanish, in London, we had a native Spanish speaker who spoke nothing but Spanish from day one. It was great. We actually picked up things a lot quicker than we would have if everything was translated. Besides, there is not always a direct translation for particular words, and they can also have several meanings anyway, so it can sometimes be more of a hindrance!
Though I appreciate if your teacher is giving explanations in Arabic and writing them up on the board, it would be extremely difficult!

Caz.I

·
Registered
19,395 Posts

Maiden
Hey Maiden - two for the price of one
or
BOGOF:)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I can recognise some words and I can write my name but that is it other than I can read numbers.
Well, I should think that's quite an achievement.:)
I taught, interpreted and translated French, German and Italian so learning to communicate in Spanish wasn't so hard, especially as I was drilled in Latin at school, but when it came to learning Slavonic languages, Czech and Polish in particular, I found the complicated verb endings and noun declensions mind-numbing.
I also made a few howlers: I mistook the verb ' to look for' and the verb 'to screw' (in the vulgar sense:D) and shocked a surprised Czech secretary when I announced I was 'screwing' her boss.
I also told a pedestrian in Prague who asked me for directions that I didn't know as I was an angel, instead of using the similar-sounding word for 'English'.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
All the schools here are in Spanish ,totally. the English taught to the Spanish children is by non-Spanish speaking teachers. ( unless they learn it while they are here.) I was lucky in that my teacher spoke english but she never spoke it during lessons unless it was absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Me & Mrs Doggy still come out of our weekly Spanish lesson more confused than when we went in:D
Our teacher is a lovely lady called Vera who must have the patience of a saint to put up with us two geordies destroying her native tongue week after week:eek:

The lessons put quite a dent in our finances but so be it. We both think that learning the language is so important that we're determined to keep going. After all, how can you appreciate people if you can't talk to them? Communication is everything ...........hmm........... there's a song title in there somewhere;)

Oh aye, a couple of weeks ago Vera announced, with what I thought was a rather evil glint in her eyes, that we'll soon be going on to past tense ....... of which there is more than one apparently..........oh god:rolleyes:

Doggy

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Learning a new language at my age is hard, translating it in my mind from Arabic into English then repeating it in Spanish is no easy thing. Arabic is a strange language and I speak a mixture of Egyptian, Saudia and Morroc for the simple reason these are the people I work with. There are words that I know the Morroc for but not the Egyptian, confused? Well think how I am lol Homework written up on the board??? no chance.
It doesn't help that I deaf.
I will get there. I am determined to be able to hold my own in time.

Maiden

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Learning a new language at my age is hard, translating it in my mind from Arabic into English then repeating it in Spanish is no easy thing. Arabic is a strange language and I speak a mixture of Egyptian, Saudia and Morroc for the simple reason these are the people I work with. There are words that I know the Morroc for but not the Egyptian, confused? Well think how I am lol Homework written up on the board??? no chance.
It doesn't help that I deaf.
I will get there. I am determined to be able to hold my own in time.

Maiden
Maiden, while I admire your determination to learn Spanish, things are getting out of hand here. You're using something like 5 languages to learn a 6th!!:) Too complicated!!:D:D

There are some excellent sites on internet. Try these two.

BBC - Languages - Spanish - Spanish Steps

BBC - Languages - Spanish - Mi Vida Loca

A million years ago, before going to Colombia, I used the Teach yourself Spanish book (which has probably developed a lot over the years)and I had the huge benefit (Hahaha) of a grade 1 CSE!! But, although I couldn't really feel any progress being made, when I arrived, I found I picked up the language a lot quicker than my colleagues. The studying had laid some foundations.
I quickly found myself a Spanish speaking boyfriend too, so if that's an option...:tongue1:

How about a sticky on Recommendations on How to Learn Spanish??

·
Registered
19,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
or things to avoid?
Advice I was given and learnt by:

Know what you want to learn. If it is mainland spanish Castellano avoid all american publications.
Always buy DVDs in Spanish and English with subtitles. If you buy them in Spain that is fairly easy.
In general translated novels are easier to read than spanish originals. I have found this to be the case but it may depend on your taste in novels.
(As sort of suggested above) learn in bed but beware using all your new volcab in other situations ;)
If a waiter wants a tip make him/her work for it. 5 cents a minute is my rate.
Young kids (spanish) will tolerate long conversations in exchange for sweets and ice creams but I have to excuse then for laughing when I get it wrong. (I guess be careful here, I'm lucky I have spanish nieces - thinking about it my stepdaughter learnt some good english when she was baby sitting in the UK)

and finally if as a child you did limited reading (yeah I own up :eek:) catch up using the many childrens series in Spain.

Finally to those who speak multiple languages and find learning easy :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.