Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Italian friend who would like to apply for a VISA to work in Australia.

I have had a read online about various Visa's, and sponsorship, but I'm still very confused on the in's and outs of him obtaining a job and visa to come to Australia.

On the Skilled Occupation list he is quite able to do many trades. Eg. Bricklayer, Floor Finisher, Wall and Floor Tiler etc. The problem is he doesnt have a certificate to prove this. What does he do? Must he sign up to do a course in Italy to gain qualifications? What documents must he produce? What are the options here?

I also have many friends and family in Australia who said they are willing to hire him to work in their Italian resturant as a waiter. Is this where one of my friends or family members sponsor him to work in there? Is he able to do this type of work eventhough its not listed on the SOL?

Sorry if my questions kinda sound dumb but I'm trying to clear up a few things.

Thanks sooo much guys.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Firstly, although your friend has a lot of jobs he can he will have to prove he's qualified to do one of those jobs sufficiently to appease DIAC. He doesn't necessarily need to have 'formal' qualifications but he will have to do a skills assessment. The SOL will give you details of which assessing body he will have to use. Go to their website to get details of what the assessment will entail.

I think before you go any further, check out the stickies at the top of the forum page. There's all the info there for your friend to decide if he qualifies for a visa.

If he does qualify he has a few options. He can be sponsored by someone with PR or a Citizen, he can be sponsored by a company or he can go for PR in his own right (again, check those stickies for all the visa sub-classes). Even though he will do a skills assessment in a certain field (say, bricklaying) that doesn't mean that he will have to do bricklaying when he gets here.

Don't worry, it's all very confusing when you're first starting out on trying to unravel and comprehend the visa rules.

Dolly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts