Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I have an appointment with an osteopath and my husband's making me go alone! I'm so stressed! I have a sore part on my body that I have to try expressing to this doctor.

I've been to an allergologue once in France and she talked non-stop in high-level language I thought I'd just zone out (maybe I did) if my husband wasn't there.

And this osteo is apparently able to speak English but once, I went to a gynae who supposedly spoke English and it turned out that she didn't so I hemmed and hawed my way through.

Urgh just ranting. I hope this is ok. Don't know where else would possibly understand my angst.

·
Registered
526 Posts
And breathe.....!

They are likely to be able to gain most of what they need by your posture and examination. Take a dictionary for the rest! Good luck,

Gypsycob x

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Rant away - we've probably all been through something similar in our stay here.

I would spend a good half an hour with a bilingual dictionary and write down for yourself the key terms you want to get across (part of the body that hurts, the words for how it hurts, etc.). Bring the list with you and if all else fails, you can point to what you have written down should there be any lack of understanding. It's a bit weird at first, but some doctors actually appreciate the effort and they may be interested in expanding their English vocabulary, too.

And if they don't appreciate it - that's why they have the expression "tant pis" in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
There's the expression "Necessity is the mother of invention" (and learning French) <smile>

I agree with Bev's advice, take a pen and write down the words that the docs etc use.....it will help you learn French.

DejW

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think it's great your husband is so encouraging for you to be independent. He knows there is no way to integrate unless you force yourself into difficult situations. I know much more French in two months of being here than a person who has been here longer and has a French live in boyfriend.

Enjoy the amusing terror:) I went to the doctor the other day and the door from the street opened straight into the waiting room. Talk about feeling like an elephant - as a motorised wheelchair user, I can't sneak in anywhere lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I agree it's necessary for me to go at it alone that's why I'm not fussing about to him. Pretend I'm so cool, ya know... lol

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
A comprehensive phrase book is useful, small enough to pop into a pocket. it wil probably have such things as I have a pain in my xxxx - you just have to fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My session went well! There were a few language hiccups, but he kindly translated whatever phrases I had trouble with from English to French.

And because the work he did with his hands pleased me so much, my husband’s now offering to come with me but I said no need, hah.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Well done!

There, it wasn't so bad after all?

DejW

My session went well! There were a few language hiccups, but he kindly translated whatever phrases I had trouble with from English to French.

And because the work he did with his hands pleased me so much, my husband’s now offering to come with me but I said no need, hah.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts