Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I have been going through various threads and find mixed reviews on taking up medicals prior to lodging the visa.

It would be very helpful if somebody can shed light on why doing medicals upfront is not a good idea? I am aware the IED is based on this, but its not super critical (my understanding is IED is one year from date of medicals)

I haven't come across a convincing answer for this, however I would be extremely interested to know if -

a. Would doing medicals upfront have any impact on the timelines? why?
b. Post completing the medicals, what is the answer to the question (has the applicant undergone any medical test in the last 12 months) ? Do we say 'Yes' Or 'No'. If 'No' then do we provide the details only when asked by the CO?

People who have done medicals before lodging visa, please share your experience.

Thanks,
SS

·
Registered
78 Posts
If your IED is not important I'd say go for it.

Your countdown starts from when you apply for the visa and pay the fees, in that 6-8 weeks you can do medicals, get police certificates etc without impacting your place in the queue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is now no reason to do a medical upfront if you are lodging an online application.

Previously some areas of the Department were running "Decision Ready" applications and this required the medicals to be completed prior to lodgement.

Now that all of the medicals are electronically linked from the Doctors to the Department, the process is

Lodge your application
within 1-2 days you get your HAP ID
Do your medical
Results are linked to your file within 5 days.

Typically all of that will happen prior to you being allocated a Case Officer. So its not effecting your processing times.

There are reasons for delaying a medical such as where the processing time (spouse visas) is over 12 months and they will expire prior to the visa being granted requiring you to do them again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts