Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had a good experience of my first time coming through a port of entry this month so I thought I would share it...

I entered via JFK in New York, it was around 11pm and I waited for about 10 minutes in the US Citizens line. Once I got called up, the immigration officer took my envelope and passport. He then asked a few questions eg. where I was going to stay. This took about 10 minutes and he then sent me off to the side room for secondary processing.

I went there, got one fingerprint taken and had to sign a form in a small box and I was outter there in 5 minutes! So overall everyone was very nice and it was very stress free.

I went to apply for my SSN the following day and it came through the post 2 weks later! I know your supposed to wait 10 days but I was leaving the US and won't be back for a few months so it didn't matter how long it took to get it but wanted to get it out of the way. It took about 45mins, I only needed my passport and secondary identification eg. drivers licence.

I then went to apply for a bank account at Bank of America. Passport and secondary identification eg. major credit card was all i needed. I got a temporary car I could use straight away.

I changed my address from the one I put on my initial application at the POE but an immigration letter has arrived at the old address so hopefully the green card doesn't go there too! Any ideas on how I can make sure USCIS use the right address? My friend doesn't want me to use her address as she is going for a visa via marriage and doesn't want it to jepoardise hers. Can my mail going to her place jepardize her case in any way or is she over reacting?

Ok, thanks for everyones help and good luck to others still in the process,

Megs

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey guys,

I had a good experience of my first time coming through a port of entry this month so I thought I would share it...

I entered via JFK in New York, it was around 11pm and I waited for about 10 minutes in the US Citizens line. Once I got called up, the immigration officer took my envelope and passport. He then asked a few questions eg. where I was going to stay. This took about 10 minutes and he then sent me off to the side room for secondary processing.

I went there, got one fingerprint taken and had to sign a form in a small box and I was outter there in 5 minutes! So overall everyone was very nice and it was very stress free.

I went to apply for my SSN the following day and it came through the post 2 weks later! I know your supposed to wait 10 days but I was leaving the US and won't be back for a few months so it didn't matter how long it took to get it but wanted to get it out of the way. It took about 45mins, I only needed my passport and secondary identification eg. drivers licence.

I then went to apply for a bank account at Bank of America. Passport and secondary identification eg. major credit card was all i needed. I got a temporary car I could use straight away.

I changed my address from the one I put on my initial application at the POE but an immigration letter has arrived at the old address so hopefully the green card doesn't go there too! Any ideas on how I can make sure USCIS use the right address? My friend doesn't want me to use her address as she is going for a visa via marriage and doesn't want it to jepoardise hers. Can my mail going to her place jepardize her case in any way or is she over reacting?

Ok, thanks for everyones help and good luck to others still in the process,

Megs
Many thanks Megs

Its our turn this Friday so I shall keep you informed! I just hope that it is as quick as your experience.

Best wishes to you

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks Megs

Its our turn this Friday so I shall keep you informed! I just hope that it is as quick as your experience.

Best wishes to you
Good luck to you, I'm sure it'll go fine...

My Welcome letter arrived around 2 weeks after I entered and the actual green card arrived last week (3 weeks after arrival)! I'm shocked everything has come so quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts