Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been largely benefited with this forum. now its my turn to contribute and share my experience of job search in sydney. Let me first describe my position. I have Postgraduate engineering degree from IITB with 4 year of solid embedded programming exp. Was working for good company with good pay in india. My wife got permanent job in sydney and her employer sponsered me for 457 as well. I did all my calculation and found i shall be not losing much and went ahead with her. Left my job and moved to sydney 20 days back while wife moved 2 month back. Living with relative as pay-n-guest so its comfortable.
1st week of job search was incredible. Got 2 interview very close to my job profile n i cant believe my luck. The pay was also decent. The consultant told few others are in pipeline. Gave both interview and it went well. First int. was from adelaide and its req were 90% match to my profile. Second has 80% match and still got rejection from second. Waiting for result of first.
After first week it was painful silence. Did not heard any opening for last 14 days !!!
reason i believe:
  1. No aus experience: For programming also they will push you unless you have aus exp which is absurd in my view.
  2. jobs exported to india and china
  3. cristmas time is a dampner
  4. Recession ofcourse
I was mentally prepared for all this and took calculated risk since my wife is anyway earning and i have 1 backup job in india, secondly my manager is still welcoming me to join.
In the forum i heard people saying one can do odd jobs but its even diff to get that . If you want to be cab driver u need to have permanent lisence valid for 1 year, you cant get teaching job bcos they ask for certification, not electrician bcos it has its own certification, for receptionist they want previous exp
The aim of this post is nt to dishearten reader but to make them aware of the reality. Its trully said "no gain without pain" so i shall give it my best shot.The jobs like Electrical engg, mecanic etc are in good demand bcos they cant be moved outside. web dev. for financial companies are in good demand bcos sydney is financial hub. I am not regretting my decision bcos its just 20 days i landed and i can always go back and find my job.
Hope it helps others in taking a informed and calculated decision

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Thanks for this post Ashish.

I'm interested in # 2. When you say the jobs exported to India and China do you mean the AU company isn't hiring because that specific job has been off-shored or the AU company isn't hiring because they resent the job being off-shored?

No AU experience is always a classic chicken and egg problem in the jobs here and IT is no exception to that.

Full agreement for Christmas time and recession. Even my company wouldn't hire for 9 of the last 12 months, only just started hiring in the last 3 months.

I have been largely benefited with this forum. now its my turn to contribute and share my experience of job search in sydney. Let me first describe my position. I have Postgraduate engineering degree from IITB with 4 year of solid embedded programming exp. Was working for good company with good pay in india. My wife got permanent job in sydney and her employer sponsered me for 457 as well. I did all my calculation and found i shall be not losing much and went ahead with her. Left my job and moved to sydney 20 days back while wife moved 2 month back. Living with relative as pay-n-guest so its comfortable.
1st week of job search was incredible. Got 2 interview very close to my job profile n i cant believe my luck. The pay was also decent. The consultant told few others are in pipeline. Gave both interview and it went well. First int. was from adelaide and its req were 90% match to my profile. Second has 80% match and still got rejection from second. Waiting for result of first.
After first week it was painful silence. Did not heard any opening for last 14 days !!!
reason i believe:
  1. No aus experience: For programming also they will push you unless you have aus exp which is absurd in my view.
  2. jobs exported to india and china
  3. cristmas time is a dampner
  4. Recession ofcourse
I was mentally prepared for all this and took calculated risk since my wife is anyway earning and i have 1 backup job in india, secondly my manager is still welcoming me to join.
In the forum i heard people saying one can do odd jobs but its even diff to get that . If you want to be cab driver u need to have permanent lisence valid for 1 year, you cant get teaching job bcos they ask for certification, not electrician bcos it has its own certification, for receptionist they want previous exp
The aim of this post is nt to dishearten reader but to make them aware of the reality. Its trully said "no gain without pain" so i shall give it my best shot.The jobs like Electrical engg, mecanic etc are in good demand bcos they cant be moved outside. web dev. for financial companies are in good demand bcos sydney is financial hub. I am not regretting my decision bcos its just 20 days i landed and i can always go back and find my job.
Hope it helps others in taking a informed and calculated decision

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this post Ashish.

I'm interested in # 2. When you say the jobs exported to India and China do you mean the AU company isn't hiring because that specific job has been off-shored or the AU company isn't hiring because they resent the job being off-shored?

No AU experience is always a classic chicken and egg problem in the jobs here and IT is no exception to that.

Full agreement for Christmas time and recession. Even my company wouldn't hire for 9 of the last 12 months, only just started hiring in the last 3 months.
by job moved to asia i meant i see 10 of job in my field everyday when i was in india and not a single for last field here in OZ. btw i see all exp jobs getting advertized in seek.com so how to get info on fresher or less exp jobs ? any idea would be a great help
-Ashish

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Less exp jobs are usually not advertised. The best bet is to join the company doing something non-tech (i.e. Teller at a Bank) and then do an internal transfer. Many more jobs are done this way initially if not heavy one experience.

by job moved to asia i meant i see 10 of job in my field everyday when i was in india and not a single for last field here in OZ. btw i see all exp jobs getting advertized in seek.com so how to get info on fresher or less exp jobs ? any idea would be a great help
-Ashish

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
HI Ashish

thanks for sharing

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got 2 interview very close to my job profile n i cant believe my luck. The pay was also decent. The consultant told few others are in pipeline. Gave both interview and it went well. First int. was from adelaide and its req were 90% match to my profile. Second has 80% match and still got rejection from second. Waiting for result of first.
Hi Ashish, thanks for sharing your experience. Appreciate it.

Few questions

Are you applying for temporary or permanent jobs ?
The 2 interview calls you got, did agent approach you or you did ?
Where else did you post your resume ?
Are you seeing enough job openings in seek for your experience and skills ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ashish, thanks for sharing your experience. Appreciate it.

Few questions

Are you applying for temporary or permanent jobs ?
The 2 interview calls you got, did agent approach you or you did ?
Where else did you post your resume ?
Are you seeing enough job openings in seek for your experience and skills ?
Hi LoveOz
Here are my answers:
1: temp, permanent, casual, partime etc etc whichever i can remotely think of doing
2: Agent approached for one and i contacted for other.
3: almost every job site which comes when searched by google :D
4: The biggest problem are only highly exp. jobs are advertized where selection criteria are steep. 1 month back i was seing many jobs related to embedded systems and with my solid work exp i had good chance but last 20 days i saw only 3-4 and got 2 interview (both rejection )

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi LoveOz
Here are my answers:
1: temp, permanent, casual, partime etc etc whichever i can remotely think of doing
4: The biggest problem are only highly exp. jobs are advertized where selection criteria are steep. 1 month back i was seing many jobs related to embedded systems and with my solid work exp i had good chance but last 20 days i saw only 3-4 and got 2 interview (both rejection )
For me it looks like you are in right direction. Why don't you try testing jobs. More often than not, any IT person would do some amount of manual testing. You can project this as one of your core skills and try to get interview calls. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi LoveOz
Here are my answers:
Thanks Ashish for sharing the info. Never mind the rejection, I believe you will make it soon. Try another strategy, why not search for like skilled people working in the similar profession(like embedded systems) on professional network sites and you could ask them for any openings with their companies.

:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Ashish for sharing the info. Never mind the rejection, I believe you will make it soon. Try another strategy, why not search for like skilled people working in the similar profession(like embedded systems) on professional network sites and you could ask them for any openings with their companies.

:)
You need to be strongly networked too. For example you atleast need around 150 to 200 contacts in your linked in profile. This is because if you have a wide network then there is more possibility that your profile would appear frequently in your searches.

The consultants first go for sites like google, linked in , link me etc and search for prospective candidates, and only if they feel they are not finding the right candidate they advertise in Seek.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Just 2 words: Keep Trying!
It's early days for you yet!

It can take a lot longer to get a job.
Keep figthing!!

Good Luck,
Busyte

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me it looks like you are in right direction. Why don't you try testing jobs. More often than not, any IT person would do some amount of manual testing. You can project this as one of your core skills and try to get interview calls. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks for pointing out. I did applied for test positions but then being a programmer i dont have exclusive experience of various testing tools which are required. Still i shall apply and hope for the best
-Ashish

·
Registered
207 Posts
hi royen,
Thanks a lot for your ideas. I shall devote more time to networking now i guess. how to get your name on top searches in google ? any ideas
Easy. Launch your personal website. Keep a resume, blog and projects section to sell yourself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Easy. Launch your personal website. Keep a resume, blog and projects section to sell yourself.
to top up with what mp told, search for open source/voluntary projects and help them out. Get involved in something innovative, learn some thing new, like another language or testing tool which would help in your job search.

Answering to technical forums helps as well. And remember to devote at least 1 to 2 hrs for networking alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh my! I am currently in the stages of having to do a job research in SA. I am currently residing in S'pore and looking at your outcome, I am afraid i might not get a job also.

Can give me a few pointers on where to go to analyse on the employment prospects and opportunities in SA?

1. I am working in the telecommunication line. How is the job market in Adelaide?
2. How abt self-employment or small business opportunities?
3. Will I be able to cope w/o direct network support? How do I get support?

Someone. Pls assist.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh my! I am currently in the stages of having to do a job research in SA. I am currently residing in S'pore and looking at your outcome, I am afraid i might not get a job also.

Can give me a few pointers on where to go to analyse on the employment prospects and opportunities in SA?

1. I am working in the telecommunication line. How is the job market in Adelaide?

Someone. Pls assist.
Hi Nur,

The best thing is to find like skilled people and ask them these questions. Right now I dont have much idea about SA and neither am I from a telecommunications background.

I hope that some telecommunication forum members would surely help you in this.

Regards,
Royen

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Someone. Pls assist.
dear Nurmahmoud,
I am a dev with exp in computer networks. I am looking job in similar field. Kindly send me a personal mail in ashish2410 at gmail.com with your detail skill set and i may be able to give you some hint
dear manisha,
its so sweet and kind of you. Thanks a lot. i am trying very hard so lets see when i make it :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts