Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following this forum and have decided to contribute as I found the info on this site valuable. I applied for a Critical skills visa last year (2014) and it was rejected because the professional body ASSA (Actuarial) stated that i was a student member. I re-applied this year after explaining to ASSA that their classification of me as a student though i have years of experience was a problem as Home affairs took it as a literal student.

I got a different letter and re-applied, not appealed in June with a contract of employment and 30 days on the dot i got a 5 yr visa with the exact same documentation except for the student word.

My take therefore is that the professional body holds the key to getting the visa. If they vouch for you as a professional you are sorted. i did include my contract and testimonials from my employer and all the documentation required on the list.

I quoted experience from my varsity part time jobs and all to count for years of experience. I was on a General permit for a year so i applied in
Capetown.

Another tip i would give is to continuously check on the status of your application as the e-mail system seems to have a month or so delay, i.e. you will get notification of collection a month after it is done. Didnt pay anyone and i have a BCom degree btw, not masters or honours.

:boxing:

May the odds be in your favour!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Learned Zimbo,

How many years experience did you have when you applied? Were they all in the critical skills field? Did you submit a permanent/5 year offer with your application?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi hopeful, i graduated in 2012 but i listed my experience in part time work at varsity and i did not have five years in total including those years as well. They were not in the field as i was a tutor. I did submit a permanent offer of employment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi learned Zimbo

Is an offer of employment enough to confirm employment on the critical skills visa and also i under stand they need a repatriation letter from employer. Please confirm the above for me.

Fellow Zimbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi learned Zimbo

Is an offer of employment enough to confirm employment on the critical skills visa and also i under stand they need a repatriation letter from employer. Please confirm the above for me.

Fellow Zimbo
Yes it is but a contract would be better. Correct, you need the repatriation letter from the employer. You need everything as per VFS list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts