Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Yes we (both myself and my husband) passed the citizenship test.

The rules for the citizenship test changed at the start of November. I went to apply then but realised that we needed police checks from the UK since we didn't move over immediately when the visa was granted.

The UK police check took about 3 weeks.

For citizenship we applied online - 1300t.
Because we did it online all original certificates had to go with us to the test and we had to fill in a form 1195 (to confirm our identity).

We did the online application on 11th December and got an email with appointment for the test that same day. The test was on Jan 6th in Adelaide (being in a regional area we would have had to wait longer if we wanted a local test).

We went to the test building in Currie St and we were seen on time - we each had different case officers. I had with me birth certificate, UK passport, marriage certificate, Australian driving licence, completed 1195 form and utility bills. They go through these and scan them into their system. My case officer didn't apply for Australian police clearance until I went in to test whereas my husbands case officer applied as soon as he saw that my husband had all the correct paperwork.

I have an apology to amaslam! I'm sorry - I thought you were exaggerating when you said that the citizenship test was quick. Even under the news rules it took me less than 3 minutes to complete the test! You need to get more than 15 right out of 20. Even my husband took less than 5 minutes and he's dyslexic and did the tutorial.

Immediately after the test you get your test results and they are printed for you. I'm ashamed to say I got 19 right and my husband got 20 (which I may never live down :D).

You go back to your case officer. My husband was told that his Australia police check was clear and he's approved to be a citizen and will get a letter to confirm in a week. My Australian police check had not come back (and I know I have one driving offence on it which I did enter in the application) so I have to wait about 3 weeks.

We are hoping that we will have our citizen ceremony in early March which is when the next one is scheduled by our local council. We already have a load of people who have told us that they want to be there!

Things others did wrong:
There were people in front of us who didn't do everything right and so couldn't take the test. If you have children you need either original birth certificates for the children or certified copies. They will not accept any thing less.

Tips:
* Go through the website thoroughly. There are check lists there so use them!
* Go through everything again.
* If you didn't move over to Australia when you first received the visa them you will need a new police clearance certificate from where you moved from.
* Read all parts of the 1195 identity form and get that filled in.
* Download or have DIAC send you the Citizenship test book. Even though I'm from the UK I'm very glad that we went through that book several times and on the morning of the test.

So now we wait for the letters and I have to practice my own advice and be patient :D

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Ah well, what's in a point.......

Thanks for the detailed update. Just off to check on the police check rule.

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dolly.

The police check comes under the good character requirements. Until I read that I had assumed that we would be okay since we'd had one before for the visa....

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Congratulations :cheer2:

I think the timing might work out. I remember DIAC takes a few weeks (I think 3-4) to get the pass lists to your council. If there isn't an already full ceremony when they receive that list then you should be good to go for March. Once you know your ceremony date you may want to get your AU passport the next day. It's a quick process and even though normal processing they say 3 weeks to get one I got my daughters one in 1 week (normal processing nothing extra paid and during Christmas/New Years break).

They have an online status checker for the PP application after you file it.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
treat for all of us, how about gift certificates? :)

jokes apart, enjoy the life in Australia
You can have a drinks smiley how about that? :tea:
I've been enjoying it here in Australia for 2.5 years now :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can have a drinks smiley how about that? :tea:
I've been enjoying it here in Australia for 2.5 years now :D
sorry for shamelessly promoting my thread, could the SENIOR CITIZEN look at a few questions posted by an aspirant migrant? :D

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry for shamelessly promoting my thread, could the SENIOR CITIZEN look at a few questions posted by an aspirant migrant? :D
already done that :)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
awesome.. congratulations..
but tell me, what about those who do not have a birth certificate, I dont have one. My husband has one which is not i n English so ofcourse needs translation.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Anj:

You can use other official documents that list your birth date (i.e. Passport, Marriage Certificate). DIAC will advise what they can use in case you don't have a birth certificate.

awesome.. congratulations..
but tell me, what about those who do not have a birth certificate, I dont have one. My husband has one which is not i n English so ofcourse needs translation.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
:) by the time its time for me to use them, i would have forgotten :p.. for now its praying time for my visa :p
thanks amaslam

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
not migrating immediately would be making an initial entry and then going back and finally making a move after a year or more

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well done Karen!!

One question though... what do they consider as not emmigrating immediately?

Regards
Gary
I think they ask whether you've been out of the country 90 days or more (in one go) after being granted the visa. If you check the citizenship website it does say when you need a police check.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
46 Posts
First congrates :)
But don't you need to stay for four years to get citizenship? How come you applied for it after 2.5 years only?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Bishoy:

Kaz validated in 2005 (entered AU on her PR visa). The Citizenship rule in those days was 2 yrs resident as a PR. As of July 2007 the rule changed to 4 yrs resident in AU.

I also passed under the 2 yr rule as I had my PR in May 2006.

First congrates :)
But don't you need to stay for four years to get citizenship? How come you applied for it after 2.5 years only?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Congratulations.....!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great experience thread here. By the way, if you're planning to take the citizenship test..then its worth having a go at a practice test beforehand. As i found out, the questions are all fairly similar but its good to know the history, dates etc..

Try this site for a free citizenship practice test:
MOD: Link removed, against forum rules.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts