Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 40 of 154 Posts
Hi Kevin, Hope you have a pleasant stay at the hotel. Good to know that the hotel has a kitchenette. How is the experience so far? If you arrive at night then does the 14-day quarantine starts from next day and on day 14th you can leave right?

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing your experience it really helps ... You mentioned that you entered AUS after the Initial Entry Date had lapsed, did you ever request an IED waiver or they allowed you even after the IED expiry date. Futhermore, these days ( COVID-19) days if we sent a IED waiver request Immigartion Australia sents us a automated letter which states that even your initial entry date expires you can still enter Australia as long as your visa is valid... Please clarify..

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing your experience it really helps ... You mentioned that you entered AUS after the Initial Entry Date had lapsed, did you ever request an IED waiver or they allowed you even after the IED expiry date. Futhermore, these days ( COVID-19) days if we sent a IED waiver request Immigartion Australia sents us a automated letter which states that even your initial entry date expires you can still enter Australia as long as your visa is valid... Please clarify..
Department themselves have confirmed in many cases in the past that "Breach of IED date cannot be the only ground for cancellation of your visa". This means, if you breach IED due to unforeseen circumstances, your Visa will not be cancelled.

So to answer your question, you can enter, if you did not satisfy your IED, and have made attempts to get an exemption from DHA.

Reactions: kevin21 and herap
Kevin, thanks for sharing. I have heard with 190 PR you cannot work in the city. How true is that? Also, did you pay for your 14 day hotel stay or was it taken care by the Aus govt?

Did you land with a job or are gonna hunt?

Hi Kevin. Welcome to Australia. I am likely to get my TR soon. I would like to know how much time I will get to enter Australia after grant of TR. I shall be moving in from India. Any other info on the subject by you will be of immense help. Thanks.

Thanks very much for sharing the experience.

Did you apply for the IED extension in 2019 since your original first entry date was Feb 2019?

Friends,

Last week I moved from California to Sydney, on 190 PR and just wanted to share my experience hoping it might help people planning travel soon. I got 190 PR in December 2018 and my original entry date was in Feb 2019 but I never travelled then and it was my first entry ever!

I used to live in Los Angeles, but there were no direct flights from LA to Sydney. The only direct flight from USA to Australia was United Airlines from San Francisco to Sydney. So, I booked that flight for me and my family, and we drove all the way from LA to SFO a night before for this flight.

Next day in morning, when we went to checkin for the flight, I showed them my grant letter but they said it's not a PR as the word "Permanent Resident" wasn't mentioned on the grant letter. So, I asked them to check on VEVO. However, VEVO website was down for regular maintenance and Airline was not able to verify my PR. So, as a last resort they called Home Affairs, but due to long hold the flight check-in time passed and I was asked to board the next flight which was a day after.

Following day, I went 4 hours ahead of time but this time VEVO was working fine and the whole check-in process took only 30 minutes. In-fact, the airline check-in staff apologized that I got late by one day and waived off almost $800 fee in extra baggage which I was carrying.

After reaching Sydney, the health officials took temperature reading and explained the 14 days Quarantine process. Following that, it was a quick walk to port of entry and a smooth entry. I was expecting a question on why I didn't make it to my initial entry but no questions were asked at all and the whole entry process took less than 5 minutes. My status on VEVO app immediately changed from Offshore to Onshore.

After that we boarded a bus and were taken to a 2-bedroom fully furnished apartment suite in a 5-star hotel in Sydney CBD.

I am highly impressed and truly appreciate the efforts and the arrangements made by Australian Government for the whole process and taking care of our accommodation, food, essential items for the 14-day Quarantine.

The harbor view from my hotel window is amazing and really feeling great to be part of such a beautiful country! I was in USA on a H1b visa for almost 10 years but never felt home like here.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Friends, I am sharing here a few things I did during the 14-day hotel quarantine period as it might help the newcomers.

Finding a rental house:
During the 14-day hotel quarantine period, I bought a local number from Skype and used that when requesting video inspection of the houses for rent. We already did some research when we were in USA for the areas we wanted to move in. So, we started filling online inspection forms for houses in these areas. Not all real estate agent agreed for video inspections, but approx. 60% - 70% did agree for video inspection. After we liked a house, we submitted the application for the same price they were asking the rent for and it was approved. We told them we were in hotel quarantine and set the move-in date to the date we were supposed to check-out from the hotel. That way, from the hotel, we moved directly to our house. We were able to rent a 4-bedroom house in a really nice suburb in north-western Sydney.

Kids School:
We wanted to send our kids to a private school here. So, during hotel quarantine we called a lot of schools in the areas nearby our house. A couple of schools did video interview with us and our application was accepted in 3-4 schools. We ultimately finalized the best school out of them and did all this when we were in hotel quarantine.

House Appliances & Furniture:
There are a plenty of websites here like AppliancesOnline, Amazon, AMart that you can use to order appliances & furniture online. A day before our check-out date, we ordered mattresses, Fridge, TV, Microwave, Washer/Dryer, Kitchen appliances, etc. etc. from 2-3 different websites and ask them to deliver them within 24 hours. That way after we reached our rental house, straight from hotel, by evening we had all appliances set-up. We just had to go out to nearby grocery store that day to get some grocery and all.

Driving License, Bank Accounts:
The day we checked out from the hotel, we went straight to NAB to activate the bank account we had opened online. After that we went to Services NSW office to get our USA driving license converted to NSW one. It was a straight forward process and took less than an hour.

Car, Medicare, Centrelink:
Day 1 after checkout we went to a used car dealer and bought a really nice used car in cash. When we were in hotel quarantine we looked up cars on dealers websites and had already talked to a few of them. Dealer gave us 2 years extended warranty and roadside assistance included in the price. We were able to negotiate a lot as we were paying cash. It just took me a couple of days to get used to driving here as in USA we used to drive on the other side of the road. After getting a car, that same day we went to Medicare office and applied for Medicare and Centrelink. We got the cards in mail in 3-4 days after applying.

Job Search:
I haven't yet started applying for job as first 2 weeks after hotel quarantine we just wanted to explore the area. I will soon start applying for jobs and will update this thread on hot that goes for me.

When we moved from USA to Australia, we would have rented a hotel for 7-10 days anyways to finish all of the above. So, for us, the 14-day hotel quarantine came as a blessing, and we are really grateful to Australian Government for the same. Thanks!

Friends, I am sharing here a few things I did during the 14-day hotel quarantine period as it might help the newcomers.

Finding a rental house:
During the 14-day hotel quarantine period, I bought a local number from Skype and used that when requesting video inspection of the houses for rent. We already did some research when we were in USA for the areas we wanted to move in. So, we started filling online inspection forms for houses in these areas. Not all real estate agent agreed for video inspections, but approx. 60% - 70% did agree for video inspection. After we liked a house, we submitted the application for the same price they were asking the rent for and it was approved. We told them we were in hotel quarantine and set the move-in date to the date we were supposed to check-out from the hotel. That way, from the hotel, we moved directly to our house. We were able to rent a 4-bedroom house in a really nice suburb in north-western Sydney.

Kids School:
We wanted to send our kids to a private school here. So, during hotel quarantine we called a lot of schools in the areas nearby our house. A couple of schools did video interview with us and our application was accepted in 3-4 schools. We ultimately finalized the best school out of them and did all this when we were in hotel quarantine.

House Appliances & Furniture:
There are a plenty of websites here like AppliancesOnline, Amazon, AMart that you can use to order appliances & furniture online. A day before our check-out date, we ordered mattresses, Fridge, TV, Microwave, Washer/Dryer, Kitchen appliances, etc. etc. from 2-3 different websites and ask them to deliver them within 24 hours. That way after we reached our rental house, straight from hotel, by evening we had all appliances set-up. We just had to go out to nearby grocery store that day to get some grocery and all.

Driving License, Bank Accounts:
The day we checked out from the hotel, we went straight to NAB to activate the bank account we had opened online. After that we went to Services NSW office to get our USA driving license converted to NSW one. It was a straight forward process and took less than an hour.

Car, Medicare, Centrelink:
Day 1 after checkout we went to a used car dealer and bought a really nice used car in cash. When we were in hotel quarantine we looked up cars on dealers websites and had already talked to a few of them. Dealer gave us 2 years extended warranty and roadside assistance included in the price. We were able to negotiate a lot as we were paying cash. It just took me a couple of days to get used to driving here as in USA we used to drive on the other side of the road. After getting a car, that same day we went to Medicare office and applied for Medicare and Centrelink. We got the cards in mail in 3-4 days after applying.

Job Search:
I haven't yet started applying for job as first 2 weeks after hotel quarantine we just wanted to explore the area. I will soon start applying for jobs and will update this thread on hot that goes for me.

When we moved from USA to Australia, we would have rented a hotel for 7-10 days anyways to finish all of the above. So, for us, the 14-day hotel quarantine came as a blessing, and we are really grateful to Australian Government for the same. Thanks!
A very informative piece of information indeed needed for all I think. Thank you a lot for your valuable time taken to provide insights after this Covid situation.
If you don't mind, can you give a rough approximate cost that incurred for all these expenses.
Also, how much was for kids school. In private schools what's the cost.

Really appreciate your work.
Cheers

Discussion starter · #29 ·
A very informative piece of information indeed needed for all I think. Thank you a lot for your valuable time taken to provide insights after this Covid situation.
If you don't mind, can you give a rough approximate cost that incurred for all these expenses.

Cheers
Sure, when we moved from USA to Sydney, I had transferred approx. $30,000 AUD to my NAB account here. Still have some $10,000 left after finishing all of the above. While everybody's situation is different, that's what it took us for house rent, car, appliances, furniture, etc.

For private schools, we saw their range anywhere from $6,000/Year to $15,000/Year.

Cheers
Sure, when we moved from USA to Sydney, I had transferred approx. $30,000 AUD to my NAB account here. Still have some $10,000 left after finishing all of the above. While everybody's situation is different, that's what it took us for house rent, car, appliances, furniture, etc.

For private schools, we saw their range anywhere from $6,000/Year to $15,000/Year.
Thanks a lot.

It just took me a couple of days to get used to driving here as in USA we used to drive on the other side of the road.
As someone who has bounced back and forth between the US and Australia, the first days are easy because you are conscious of it. Similarly most city driving is easy as you simply follow the vehicle in front.

Be mindful of turning onto and off of the road, and on country roads for quite some time.

More than once I have thought to myself under my breath... that guy is on the wrong side of the road... for it to actually be me.

Happens most at night, when tired and when not concentrating. With more and more European cars on the road, my old trick of using the indicator as a mental reminder doesn't work nearly as often.

Do you like the US or Australia? What do you like or hate the most about both these countries?

It just took me a couple of days to get used to driving here as in USA we used to drive on the other side of the road.
As someone who has bounced back and forth between the US and Australia, the first days are easy because you are conscious of it. Similarly most city driving is easy as you simply follow the vehicle in front.

Be mindful of turning onto and off of the road, and on country roads for quite some time.

More than once I have thought to myself under my breath... that guy is on the wrong side of the road... for it to actually be me.

Happens most at night, when tired and when not concentrating. With more and more European cars on the road, my old trick of using the indicator as a mental reminder doesn't work nearly as often.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Hi Kevin, Hope you have a pleasant stay at the hotel. Good to know that the hotel has a kitchenette. How is the experience so far? If you arrive at night then does the 14-day quarantine starts from next day and on day 14th you can leave right?
Starts from the same day you move in. We checked in around 10PM and that was our first day from 10PM - 11:59PM.

Discussion starter · #36 ·

Agreed, and the biggest change for me were the roundabouts as there are no roundabouts in California. That definitely took a bit of time.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Kevin, thanks for sharing. I have heard with 190 PR you cannot work in the city. How true is that? Also, did you pay for your 14 day hotel stay or was it taken care by the Aus govt?

Did you land with a job or are gonna hunt?
Which city? No recruiter has mentioned any concerns with 190 so far, so I am not about what you're asking.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Hi Kevin,

I requested it sometime last year, before the COVID days and did receive a facilitation letter as well. But, nobody asked for it.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Hi Kevin. Welcome to Australia. I am likely to get my TR soon. I would like to know how much time I will get to enter Australia after grant of TR. I shall be moving in from India. Any other info on the subject by you will be of immense help. Thanks.
Sorry I am not sue what a TR is, hope somebody else reply to your query soon.

21 - 40 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.