Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

Last week I moved from California to Sydney, on 190 PR and just wanted to share my experience hoping it might help people planning travel soon. I got 190 PR in December 2018 and my original entry date was in Feb 2019 but I never travelled then and it was my first entry ever!

I used to live in Los Angeles, but there were no direct flights from LA to Sydney. The only direct flight from USA to Australia was United Airlines from San Francisco to Sydney. So, I booked that flight for me and my family, and we drove all the way from LA to SFO a night before for this flight.

Next day in morning, when we went to checkin for the flight, I showed them my grant letter but they said it's not a PR as the word "Permanent Resident" wasn't mentioned on the grant letter. So, I asked them to check on VEVO. However, VEVO website was down for regular maintenance and Airline was not able to verify my PR. So, as a last resort they called Home Affairs, but due to long hold the flight check-in time passed and I was asked to board the next flight which was a day after.

Following day, I went 4 hours ahead of time but this time VEVO was working fine and the whole check-in process took only 30 minutes. In-fact, the airline check-in staff apologized that I got late by one day and waived off almost $800 fee in extra baggage which I was carrying.

After reaching Sydney, the health officials took temperature reading and explained the 14 days Quarantine process. Following that, it was a quick walk to port of entry and a smooth entry. I was expecting a question on why I didn't make it to my initial entry but no questions were asked at all and the whole entry process took less than 5 minutes. My status on VEVO app immediately changed from Offshore to Onshore.

After that we boarded a bus and were taken to a 2-bedroom fully furnished apartment suite in a 5-star hotel in Sydney CBD.

I am highly impressed and truly appreciate the efforts and the arrangements made by Australian Government for the whole process and taking care of our accommodation, food, essential items for the 14-day Quarantine.

The harbor view from my hotel window is amazing and really feeling great to be part of such a beautiful country! I was in USA on a H1b visa for almost 10 years but never felt home like here.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Welcome and All the Best for your new start.

The Visa confusion was a blessing in disguise. Saved you $800..!

Reactions: kevin21

·
Registered
836 Posts
Nice to see the quality of the airline check-in agents hasn't improved much over the past 30 years.

I once nearly missed a flight once out of LAX because I was carrying two US passports.. one expired with a valid PR visa in it, and a second new US passport without a visa. All pages of the old passport cut, except for the one with the valid visa.

It was the way it was done back then.

They had a hard time comprehending that just because the passport was expired, the visa was not.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to see the quality of the airline check-in agents hasn't improved much over the past 30 years.

I once nearly missed a flight once out of LAX because I was carrying two US passports.. one expired with a valid PR visa in it, and a second new US passport without a visa. All pages of the old passport cut, except for the one with the valid visa.

It was the way it was done back then.

They had a hard time comprehending that just because the passport was expired, the visa was not.
Agreed, they need to have a more robust system. United Airlines check-in staff didn't even know that for Australia it's all electronic as they were asking me to produce something called as ImmiCard.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Friends,

Last week I moved from California to Sydney, on 190 PR and just wanted to share my experience hoping it might help people planning travel soon. I got 190 PR in December 2018 and my original entry date was in Feb 2019 but I never travelled then and it was my first entry ever!

I used to live in Los Angeles, but there were no direct flights from LA to Sydney. The only direct flight from USA to Australia was United Airlines from San Francisco to Sydney. So, I booked that flight for me and my family, and we drove all the way from LA to SFO a night before for this flight.

Next day in morning, when we went to checkin for the flight, I showed them my grant letter but they said it's not a PR as the word "Permanent Resident" wasn't mentioned on the grant letter. So, I asked them to check on VEVO. However, VEVO website was down for regular maintenance and Airline was not able to verify my PR. So, as a last resort they called Home Affairs, but due to long hold the flight check-in time passed and I was asked to board the next flight which was a day after.

Following day, I went 4 hours ahead of time but this time VEVO was working fine and the whole check-in process took only 30 minutes. In-fact, the airline check-in staff apologized that I got late by one day and waived off almost $800 fee in extra baggage which I was carrying.

After reaching Sydney, the health officials took temperature reading and explained the 14 days Quarantine process. Following that, it was a quick walk to port of entry and a smooth entry. I was expecting a question on why I didn't make it to my initial entry but no questions were asked at all and the whole entry process took less than 5 minutes. My status on VEVO app immediately changed from Offshore to Onshore.

After that we boarded a bus and were taken to a 2-bedroom fully furnished apartment suite in a 5-star hotel in Sydney CBD.

I am highly impressed and truly appreciate the efforts and the arrangements made by Australian Government for the whole process and taking care of our accommodation, food, essential items for the 14-day Quarantine.

The harbor view from my hotel window is amazing and really feeling great to be part of such a beautiful country! I was in USA on a H1b visa for almost 10 years but never felt home like here.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. It helps a lot!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
In the meantime, can you also update what's your experience with food during quarantine? Are you allowed to order your food? Do you need to pay for it? Are you given any options to choose? etc etc....

Thanks in advance..!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did you get the option to choose the hotel?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the meantime, can you also update what's your experience with food during quarantine? Are you allowed to order your food? Do you need to pay for it? Are you given any options to choose? etc etc....

Thanks in advance..!
The food provided my hotel is great and ample quantity. They pick a new cuisine every day and do a good rotation of menu and food items. Yes, we are allowed to order food. We are with 2 small kids, so we do order from outside a lot as well. Uber Eats delivers to the front desk and then front desk delivers it to our suite. We don't need to pay for the food provided by the hotel, but yes when ordering from Coles, Uber Eats, etc. we pay for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks Kevin

Were you able to get an Australian SIM in the airport or after reaching the hotel ?

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Friends,

Thank you very much Kevin for the all the details. This helps immensely for planning my move in Sep from US.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The food provided my hotel is great and ample quantity. They pick a new cuisine every day and do a good rotation of menu and food items. Yes, we are allowed to order food. We are with 2 small kids, so we do order from outside a lot as well. Uber Eats delivers to the front desk and then front desk delivers it to our suite. We don't need to pay for the food provided by the hotel, but yes when ordering from Coles, Uber Eats, etc. we pay for it. Thanks!
Thanks for that mate, good to know. I guess it depends on where you have been put up, because in one case I've heard not so pleasant experience about food. Residents were served with different sandwiches three times a day and they eventually ended up buying their meals after couple of days.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Kevin

Were you able to get an Australian SIM in the airport or after reaching the hotel ?

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk
We didn't see any stores at the airport, my be they are keeping a different pathway for arriving flights during Covid-19. Right now, I am still using my US number and will get OZ sim after moving out of hotel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that mate, good to know. I guess it depends on where you have been put up, because in one case I've heard not so pleasant experience about food. Residents were served with different sandwiches three times a day and they eventually ended up buying their meals after couple of days.
Probably, as it's the hotel staff that goes out and gets food. But ours is a fully furnished kitchen so we ordered some grocery from Coles as well, incase we want something different.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How was the inflight experience on United. Could you share details ? Meal service etc
It was great, we were only like 30-35 passengers in total. I heard they said that if this will continue Airlines might not fly anymore as that's a real low number for them to cover their flying expenses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Kevin, I see you have entered AUS after the Initial Entry Date had lapsed, did you ever request an IED waiver before entering AUS?

·
Registered
20 Posts
No, but they assign it based on the passengers. We are a family of 4, so we got a 2 bedroom fully furnished apartment in a high-rise in CBD.
Did you move to Aus on your own or had job offer at hand ? Just wondering how is the job market in Sydney at the moment.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts