Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my scientific talente visa is stamped the words:

"carte de sejour a solliciter dans les deux mois suivant l'arrive" which I interpret to mean I need to apply for a carte de sejour within two months.

But must I do it and what are the benefits?

It seems like an extra cost for my family of four (wife me and two school aged kids) and we are only staying for 10 months.

I will say I will be traveling a lot in and out of the country so if its helps with that respect I'll do it.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Actually, yes, you do need to apply for the carte de séjour. As EuroTrash says, it is your "residence permit" - i.e. the document that allows you to stay in France (whereas the visa only allows you to enter France).

You will need the carte/titre de séjour to enroll your kids in school and as i.d. for things like writing a check (yes, people still do that in France). It's handy to have for entering and leaving the country while you are resident here. Or for traveling to Schengen countries.

Your kids won't need cartes de séjour, however there is an i.d. card for children that you can get for them - necessary if you want to take your children out of the country (for a holiday or other trip).

A carte or titre de séjour also saves you having to carry your passport with you for identification purposes.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, yes, you do need to apply for the carte de séjour. As EuroTrash says, it is your "residence permit" - i.e. the document that allows you to stay in France (whereas the visa only allows you to enter France).

You will need the carte/titre de séjour to enroll your kids in school and as i.d. for things like writing a check (yes, people still do that in France). It's handy to have for entering and leaving the country while you are resident here. Or for traveling to Schengen countries.

Your kids won't need cartes de séjour, however there is an i.d. card for children that you can get for them - necessary if you want to take your children out of the country (for a holiday or other trip).

A carte or titre de séjour also saves you having to carry your passport with you for identification purposes.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks. My visa says I can enter from 07/17 to 09/17 and its a multiple entry visa. What happens if I need to travel after 09/17. Will I be able to leave the country?

I wonder if they made a mistake with my visa and it should be 07/17 to 06/18?

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. My visa says I can enter from 07/17 to 09/17 and its a multiple entry visa. What happens if I need to travel after 09/17. Will I be able to leave the country?

I wonder if they made a mistake with my visa and it should be 07/17 to 06/18?

Thanks.
I should have added that according to this website Residence Permit - Consulat Général de France à San Francisco since my Convention d'Accueil says I'll only be there for 10 months I don't need a Carte De Sejour.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could that be why you need to apply for a carte de séjour within two months?
Perhaps, but I'm hearing horror stories of people applying straight after touching down and then not getting the carte de sejour until 6 months later. What happens in the mean time if I need to leave the country? My visa would no longer be valid.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Go through the motions. They may simply validate your visa so that it serves as a titre de séjour. They may give you some sort of paper (a receipt or other) when you make your application, and if they do then that will serve as your titre de séjour for entering and leaving France after the date on your visa.

The bureaucracy can be a bit crazy at times, but as long as you follow the process through, you usually will be just fine.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
493 Posts
It seems like an extra cost for my family of four (wife me and two school aged kids) and we are only staying for 10 months.
US citizens are allowed to spend a maximum of three months out of six in the Schengen Area (that includes France) so on the 91st day you and your family would be illegal.
Get the visas.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
US citizens are allowed to spend a maximum of three months out of six in the Schengen Area (that includes France) so on the 91st day you and your family would be illegal.
Get the visas.
It's not the visas at issue here, but rather the "residence permits" - two separate documents (albeit they are linked) that evidence different rights and privileges.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not the visas at issue here, but rather the "residence permits" - two separate documents (albeit they are linked) that evidence different rights and privileges.
Cheers,
Bev
So let me sketch out some detail.

1. My long term visa says valid from 01/07/17 to 30/09/17 and I must apply for Carte De Sojour within 2 months according to it.

2. I will arrive in France 15/08/17.

3, Most certainly I won't get a Carte De Sojour by 30/09/17, I probably won't even have an appointment by then.

Question 1: What are the steps for getting a Carte Ce Sojour *now*. I see lots of discussion of getting them prior to 2012 but the rules have changed.
Question 2: So can I travel outside of France after 30/09/17 without a Carte De Sojour?
Question 3: So can I travel outside of France after 30/09/17 without applying for a Carte De Sojour?

Thx Rare

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts

1. My long term visa says valid from 01/07/17 to 30/09/17 and I must apply for Carte De Sojour within 2 months according to it.

3, Most certainly I won't get a Carte De Sojour by 30/09/17, I probably won't even have an appointment by then.

Question 1: What are the steps for getting a Carte Ce Sojour *now*. I see lots of discussion of getting them prior to 2012 but the rules have changed.
Question 2: So can I travel outside of France after 30/09/17 without a Carte De Sojour?
Question 3: So can I travel outside of France after 30/09/17 without applying for a Carte De Sojour?

Thx Rare
I'm having some "system troubles" - and just lost the response I had tried to post. Bear with me.

The simplest solution here is that you will need to apply for an appointment to get your carte de séjour as soon as feasible after your arrival. Most prefectures require that you make your appointment through their online appointment system.

Print off the confirmation of your appointment - either a screen print or a copy of whatever e-mail they may send you as part of the process.

Take this with you when you travel outside of France. If, on your return, the Immigration officer says anything about the visa expiration date, show him or her the copy of your appointment confirmation. That should do the trick.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
68 Posts

Thx Rare

My husband is a on long stay visa for chercheur scientific. Last year for his Carte de sejour, all he had to do is get the OFII stamp within 3months of arrival (some others had told us 2months, it does not seem clear and changes whom you talk to). This stamp equivilant to a cart de sejour andv valid for a year. Before it expires you have to apply for a "real" carte de sejour, at least 2months before it expires, if not earlier to complete your dossier (the documents).

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Good point! Chances are your "carte de séjour" is nothing more than the validation in your passport of the visa, which turns it into a "titre de séjour." So see to it as soon as you can after arrival. It may not be a problem at all (depending on what sort of visa you have).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now are getting places!

My husband is a on long stay visa for chercheur scientific. Last year for his Carte de sejour, all he had to do is get the OFII stamp within 3months of arrival (some others had told us 2months, it does not seem clear and changes whom you talk to). This stamp equivilant to a cart de sejour andv valid for a year. Before it expires you have to apply for a "real" carte de sejour, at least 2months before it expires, if not earlier to complete your dossier (the documents).
Thanks AnneMarie. Glad to have someone in my exact same situation. I would really appreciate it if you could answer a few questions.

1) When your husband got his visa to enter what were the "from" and "until" date fields filled inn for.

Mine say 01/07/17 until 30/09/17. But the "duration of stay" is listed as XXX

2) Did your husband's visa have the words requiring a Carte De Sejour within 2 months?

The experience you describe you went through is exactly what the university I am visiting said would occur (that I would have to an "OFII stamp" stamp within 3 months) but that doesn't match with the visa says.

I suspect that the visa people missed that it's only a 10 month stay.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks AnneMarie. Glad to have someone in my exact same situation. I would really appreciate it if you could answer a few questions.

1) When your husband got his visa to enter what were the "from" and "until" date fields filled inn for.

Mine say 01/07/17 until 30/09/17. But the "duration of stay" is listed as XXX
The visa is just to let you into the country. As long as you enter during this time you'll be fine. My husband's was valid for a year, but as I said, the visa is only the permit for entry. The right to stay will be given through the OFII office.

2) Did your husband's visa have the words requiring a Carte De Sejour within 2 months?

The experience you describe you went through is exactly what the university I am visiting said would occur (that I would have to an "OFII stamp" stamp within 3 months) but that doesn't match with the visa says.

I suspect that the visa people missed that it's only a 10 month stay.
I remember the consulat saying 2months after entering the country, and the university (and prefecture) saying 3 months. We ended up getting the stamp just a bit after 2 months. Don't worry to much about those details. The consulate, OFII and prefecture won't all necessarily agree with one another. The university will have many students and researchers and will have their own procedures; and they might differ from another universities procedures.

However, I would probably not leave the EU before the OFII stamp is completed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts