Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the new law is accepted that all non EU migrants earning less than £35,000 will not be able to settle in the UK. But this isn't going to come into effect until 2016: 1 year after the PM promised to cut migration to the 10's of 1000's. Why so long, and will this have the effect they are hoping in the years following? :plane:

·
Registered
39,028 Posts
Apparently the new law is accepted that all non EU migrants earning less than £35,000 will not be able to settle in the UK. But this isn't going to come into effect until 2016: 1 year after the PM promised to cut migration to the 10's of 1000's. Why so long, and will this have the effect they are hoping in the years following?
This refers to migrant workers on points-based system (Tier 1, Tier 2 etc), and not family migrants like spouse and partner of settled persons.

I suppose the long timeframe for the new rule is because it seriously impacts on the attractiveness of UK as a place to do business. Foreign businesses planning relocation or investment in UK will need to know what the ground rules are for bringing in migrant workers to be competitive and to have the best workforce available, and the remuneration package offered must be attractive enough to enable such workers the option of settlement. So this 4-year delay is to allow multinationals and others adequate time for planning and preparation. This includes those who are already in UK on PBS, and a sudden change in the rules will affect their plans for settlement.

This raises an interesting question about the much-talked-about change in the rules for family migration. Will a similar, but not quite so long, delay in implementation be offered? The minimum sponsor's income of £26k may be phased in over, say, two years? And that those who are already on 2-year or 27-month spouse/partner visa will escape the new 5-year rule for settlement?
We shall have to wait and see!

·
Registered
258 Posts
This raises an interesting question about the much-talked-about change in the rules for family migration. Will a similar, but not quite so long, delay in implementation be offered? The minimum sponsor's income of £26k may be phased in over, say, two years? And that those who are already on 2-year or 27-month spouse/partner visa will escape the new 5-year rule for settlement?
We shall have to wait and see!
This waiting game is really becoming frustrated for me and my wife who are currently in the US. 6th April 2012 is not too long ahead of us and we are planning to return back sometime this month, have her sit the LITUK test and then ILR in person. But our preference is to stay here for family reasons another 6 months and then move back permanently but we can't take a chance assuming the changes to the family rules are postponed :mad:

Its frustrating to keep wondering why the UK Govt not publishing any confirmation soon.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This waiting game is really becoming frustrated for me and my wife who are currently in the US. 6th April 2012 is not too long ahead of us and we are planning to return back sometime this month, have her sit the LITUK test and then ILR in person. But our preference is to stay here for family reasons another 6 months and then move back permanently but we can't take a chance assuming the changes to the family rules are postponed :mad:

Its frustrating to keep wondering why the UK Govt not publishing any confirmation soon.
Yes it is frustrating not knowing, but be thankful that the only obstacle your wife has is taking the LITUK (which is easy, I took it in 5 minutes and got everything right). So cheer up.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.