1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Not the usual newbie help request :fingerscrossed:
I'm looking for help with old-fashioned computer technology and MIDI. :nerd:
I've had a near top-of the-range Yamaha keyboard for over a decade (most of which it's been in store, but that's another story). I used to compose by attaching it to a Mac laptop via a MIDI to USB interface and using Sibelius (anyone still with me?) . . . now I have it in my new home near Velez-Malaga down in Andalucia, but I can't get the keyboard to talk to the computer - the USB interface doesn't show any data flowing.
After just six months here, although my Spanish has improved, it's not up to explaining the intricacies of my problem in an ordinary computer shop - and does anyone still use MIDI cables, I wonder?
Anyone out there with advice or contacts, please?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi all
Not the usual newbie help request :fingerscrossed:
I'm looking for help with old-fashioned computer technology and MIDI. :nerd:
I've had a near top-of the-range Yamaha keyboard for over a decade (most of which it's been in store, but that's another story). I used to compose by attaching it to a Mac laptop via a MIDI to USB interface and using Sibelius (anyone still with me?) . . . now I have it in my new home near Velez-Malaga down in Andalucia, but I can't get the keyboard to talk to the computer - the USB interface doesn't show any data flowing.
After just six months here, although my Spanish has improved, it's not up to explaining the intricacies of my problem in an ordinary computer shop - and does anyone still use MIDI cables, I wonder?
Anyone out there with advice or contacts, please?
Thanks in advance!

I have a friend in Nerja who might be able to help you???? I dont know how to pass his details on to you, I'll e-mail him and ask. But yes, MIDI cables are still used and its probably a problem with your PC as opposed to the keyboard

Jo xxx

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, thanks! It's a Mac not a PC, and as far as I can see there's no data passing through the interface, so it's not even reaching the computer. I'll pass my email address on if that's the best way.
Mike

·
Registered
960 Posts
Excellent, thanks! It's a Mac not a PC, and as far as I can see there's no data passing through the interface, so it's not even reaching the computer. I'll pass my email address on if that's the best way.
Mike
It could be a software issue.Have you tried deleting the programme from your Mac and re installing it or going onto the software website and down loading the latest drivers.Also do you have any way of checking your USB cable as it's possible that could be faulty.I suppose it's just a process of elimination.Best of luck,hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be a software issue.Have you tried deleting the programme from your Mac and re installing it or going onto the software website and down loading the latest drivers.Also do you have any way of checking your USB cable as it's possible that could be faulty.I suppose it's just a process of elimination.Best of luck,hope you get it sorted.
Yep, tried both those :-( The interface has MIDI cables attached on one side and USB on the other. I have another interface but that has no cables, so I guess I'll need to get new MIDI cables from somewhere - I didn't think that would be an easy job, but it's good to hear from Jo that they're still used. I just have to track them down now; not easy round here from the depths of the campo!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yep, tried both those :-( The interface has MIDI cables attached on one side and USB on the other. I have another interface but that has no cables, so I guess I'll need to get new MIDI cables from somewhere - I didn't think that would be an easy job, but it's good to hear from Jo that they're still used. I just have to track them down now; not easy round here from the depths of the campo!
Don't know exactly where you are but Worten might be worth a try near Malaga airport or failing that ebay.Hope you get it sorted.
Just out of interest.is it the 5 pin to USB?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Don't know exactly where you are but Worten might be worth a try near Malaga airport or failing that ebay.Hope you get it sorted.
There's a Worten in Velez, 30 minutes away - tried there but no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though :)
And yes, it's 5-pin MIDI to standard USB (whereas the other interface is a square printer USB on the non-MIDI side).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts