Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend !has just told me that Murcia have told UK citizens with green cards they MUST apply for TIEs ASAP
Is there any truth to this...if so why... I didn't think it was mandatory?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
There was an article in the local expat paper saying this but careful reading revealed it was advised as there was citas available and it was a quiet time. The article then basically suggested using a particular firm who would do it for you. All in all another bit of economical truth telling with an eye on business.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. That's what I suspected

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Moncloa still hasn't said that it's mandatory, therefore it isn't.

It certainly does seem to make things easier though.
What "things"? I have attended several public offices to do various procedures (e.g. Registro) and also used my green card in several private establishments (e.g. Europcar) and not had any problem.

Maybe we should start making a list of authorities or procedures which are more difficult without the TIE to get an objective view of its value?

I guess that air travel might be one of those, but as we have little opportunity to test that.....

·
Registered
645 Posts
What "things"?
Those denied boarding flights from UK without a TIE can tell you that!

There is no obligation although some shyster lawyers are trying to convince their client's otherwise and charging €250 per person or more for the 'service' when all it actually costs is €12.

So glad we exchanged our green residencias for TIEs way back in July!

We paid €60 each but that included the €12 fee and two chauffeured trips to Alicante, a bargain as far as we were concerned.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Well, there were bound to be teething problems and I do feel bad for those that suffered the effects of these errors, but rather than point to those as reasons for making the non-obligatory change, I think we need to be more objective.
The only "real" benefit to the TIE as far as I can see is that we get a real ID document again.
There might be more genuine reasons becoming clear as time goes by, that was the reasoning behind my suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts