Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought anyone planning on buying a property in Portugal should know this.

I purchased my property on 24 October 2014. I have just learned that I have to pay Municipal Tax (council rates) for the whole of 2014 - totally unfair!
The law states that whoever owns the property as at 31 Dec has to pay for that whole year. :mad:
In UK and Aust the council tax(rates) are proportioned out fairly at the time of exchange.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think the exemption may vary in terms of years. I seem to recall it's 2 years now, which is all we got. Sadly most of that was retrospective too so in real terms we probably only got 16 months.

You have to apply for it. I don't think it's an automatic assumption that you are new to the country and automatically receive it.

Also, either we were incorrectly pinged for IMI or there is a separate situation for 'out-buildings', but we received a premature bill for IMI for our detached garage albeit 13 euros.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That is not unfair, they have not just invented the rule for you nor hidden the information. If you + your Lawyer cannot be bothered to find out the full costs of you owning property in Portugal then that is your / their fault. It can easily be included in the promissory " seller gives a contribution of XX euro for part year IMI "

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just thought anyone planning on buying a property in Portugal should know this.

I purchased my property on 24 October 2014. I have just learned that I have to pay Municipal Tax (council rates) for the whole of 2014 - totally unfair!
The law states that whoever owns the property as at 31 Dec has to pay for that whole year. :mad:
In UK and Aust the council tax(rates) are proportioned out fairly at the time of exchange.
I assume you are now aware that the first (or only) instalment is due by the end of April?

At least, now that you know about this unfair allocation of charges, you can apportion costs with whoever you sell to in the future, so they don't get caught like you did. ;)

In my part of the UK, rates (not council tax) are also charged to the owner of the property at the relevant date (1st April) each year.

The difference is that Portugal charges in arrears for services that the owner might not have received while in the UK I'm paying in advance for services I haven't yet received. Either way the balancing adjustment comes when you sell.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We came here in August 2007 and went to Financas with our solicitor who filed for the exemption. We were initially granted five years because (1) we were going to be permanent residents and (2) we moved in within six months of finalising the transaction. This exemption period was later extended to eight years. I have a feeling this exemption has now been abolished but am not sure.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It shouldn't ever apply to a holiday home by definition. For the same reason it can never apply to an owner who is correctly registered as non-resident.

Isenção para habitação própria permanente (n.º 1 do art. 46.º do EBF)

Quais os prédios que podem beneficiar desta isenção?

Os prédios ou parte de prédios urbanos construídos ou adquiridos a título oneroso para habitação própria e permanente do sujeito passivo ou do seu agregado familiar e que sejam afectos a esse fim no prazo de seis meses pelo sujeito passivo.
Google Translate said:
Exemption for permanent residence (paragraph 1 of art. 46 of the EBF)

Which buildings eligible for this exemption?

The buildings or parts of urban buildings built or acquired for consideration for permanent residence of the taxpayer or of your household and are allocated to this end within six months by the taxpayer.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Again, I think it shouldn't vary but since it's also dependent on the VPT, that maybe why obtaining exemption seems a little random (like the VPT does!):

Qual a duração da isenção?

O período de isenção a conceder depende do valor patrimonial do prédio, conforme a tabela do n.º 5 do art. 46.º do EBF (ver abaixo).

Valor patrimonial (em euros) ... Período (em anos)
Até 157 500 ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 6
Mais de 157 500 até 236 250 ... ... 3
I seem to recall mentions that this exemption had been withdrawn or restricted so this may or may not be current, though it should be current.

https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/de/ajuda/DGCI/FAQEntregISIMI.htm

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is confusing but even in the worst case scenario I'm sure I.M.I. is a drop in the ocean compared to the U.K. version.

I was paying £160 a month for a two bed bungalow in Merseyside. Now I'm likely to pay 130 euros a year. I'm happy to pay it, especially considering how the local public services are infinitely better here.

We all, will always, have to pay taxes but I'm for ever amazed at the good ol' V.F.M. My car tax is £23 a year here and there a no pot holes. My 4x4 tax is £36 ish a year compared to £400 odd quid in the U.K. for the same kind of truck. Diesel is so much cheaper and food is so much better.

In short, it is what it is, and it's worth it !

·
Registered
368 Posts
I totally agree about the comparison with UK. Our council tax would probably now be about £200 per month, here we are likely to start paying €350 per annum in arrears. Car tax is €35. No TV licence as such (although we did invest in a 2.3 m dish last year). Half price train fares which we use and other concessions for over 65s. Our local conservation zoo in UK charges about £20 for adults and £18 for OAPs. I know where we are much better off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Richard:

Sorry...... I didn't make myself clear.

I meant it seems to vary from area to area if a new resident gets the exemption and/or for how long it lasts.

I didn't mean it varies from area to area if a holiday home owner or non resident gets it.
The legislation is clear as to period of exemption, when it should be requested, the consequences of late application, maximum value for which exemption is available, etc. location of where property is purchased does not come into it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
See my posts #9 & #11 of this thread.

The different exemption periods that others have referred to would seem to be well into the past (when the exemptions were more generous) and are therefore irrelevant to the current situation.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For numerous reasons:

1. Ignorance - exemption not requested
2. The law has changed over the years - these exemptions / tax holiday almost wiped due to 'crise'
3. Tax holiday not requested timeously. If requested more than sixty days after purchase, the tax holiday period is reduced
4.There are limitations in that the tax holidays are based on the rateable value of the property on which exemptions maybe claimed. The rateable value does not necessarily bear any resemblance to actual cost of property.
There are probably other reasons which I cannot think of offhand

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am not sure, but it sounds about right. If your lawyer put in the application timeously, then it would have been granted according to the law ruling then. As the holidays do differ according to the legislation as ruling then, and the rateable value of the property - it would be a question of checking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts