Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya everyone, Im after a little reasurance I think

We've toyed with the idea of relocating to Guardamar del Segura on the Costa Blanca for a few years but never had the window of oportunity open for us. Now its been left ajar and we are creeping out.

I have a couple of concerns. I have 4 kids, 3 currently aged 6 (dont ask) and a 9 month old baby. My concerns lay around schooling for the three older ones. In the uk they are in year 1 (b/g twins just turned 6) and year 2 (g will turn 7 in November). They are totally up for being in a new environment, going to a new school and Ive discussed about having to learn a new language. My eldest has a class mate who came to the uk from Portugal last september and by christmas she was conversing in English, so I know it can be done.

Anyhoo! I would welcome any advice regarding their integration into spanish schools. I saw the e-book from eye on spain about the schools and education in spain and untill I read the blurb, I wasnt worried. But now I am. I would like to hear from families living in the guardamar, ciudad quesada, rojales areas. the schools available.

Looking forward to seeing your advice, notes, recomendations etc.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hiya everyone, Im after a little reasurance I think

We've toyed with the idea of relocating to Guardamar del Segura on the Costa Blanca for a few years but never had the window of oportunity open for us. Now its been left ajar and we are creeping out.

I have a couple of concerns. I have 4 kids, 3 currently aged 6 (dont ask) and a 9 month old baby. My concerns lay around schooling for the three older ones. In the uk they are in year 1 (b/g twins just turned 6) and year 2 (g will turn 7 in November). They are totally up for being in a new environment, going to a new school and Ive discussed about having to learn a new language. My eldest has a class mate who came to the uk from Portugal last september and by christmas she was conversing in English, so I know it can be done.

Anyhoo! I would welcome any advice regarding their integration into spanish schools. I saw the e-book from eye on spain about the schools and education in spain and untill I read the blurb, I wasnt worried. But now I am. I would like to hear from families living in the guardamar, ciudad quesada, rojales areas. the schools available.

Looking forward to seeing your advice, notes, recomendations etc.
Your kids will be fine. My co mod has two daughters who have done brilliantly in the Spanish system. I'm sure she'll be along in the morning with advice. The fact you have 3 of the same age means they'll have each other - which will be reassuring for them. Being young also means that they will learn the language quickly - in fact you'll probably find you have to keep them up to date with their English!!! However, helping them with homework...... in Spanish????

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Your kids will be fine. My co mod has two daughters who have done brilliantly in the Spanish system. I'm sure she'll be along in the morning with advice. The fact you have 3 of the same age means they'll have each other - which will be reassuring for them. Being young also means that they will learn the language quickly - in fact you'll probably find you have to keep them up to date with their English!!! However, helping them with homework...... in Spanish????

Jo xxx
you rang??

yes, my daughters are now 14 & 17 & we've been here in Jávea nearly 10 years (in a few weeks!)

they both learned Spanish really quickly & settled into the system really easily

your three 6 year olds will be in the same year if they were born in the same calendar year Jan-Dec

and don't worry TOO much about helping with homework - at age 6 it's pretty simple, so as long as you start learning too, you'll be able to all help each other!

I learned TONS of Spanish by helping my two - & now I teach it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi
Nothing to offer re school system, but just wanted to say hello, as I am also planning to move to Guardamar, hopefully within the next couple of months.

Kerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts