Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watch?

Whilst I'm no fab I'm a tad fed up with the media covering this speech as if the only content was a cough...

Can she survive the cough?

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
What a farce! If she had been doing ok. over the past few months she could have come out fine. Could happen to anyone but just made her look weak. Went on for so long I think it was more nerves as it happened after the guy gave her a p45 copy. The last shot of her as she went behind the curtain looked as if she was about to burst into tears. She is getting some sympathy but the UK needs a strong person not a sympathy vote. She is damaged.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
What a farce! If she had been doing ok. over the past few months she could have come out fine. Could happen to anyone but just made her look weak. Went on for so long I think it was more nerves as it happened after the guy gave her a p45 copy. The last shot of her as she went behind the curtain looked as if she was about to burst into tears. She is getting some sympathy but the UK needs a strong person not a sympathy vote. She is damaged.
Yes.

I feel very sorry for her but she's not up to the job.

Problem is that the job as it is at the moment is not doable by any reasonable, non-extreme politician.

I dread to think who we will get when she goes. Corbyn, Fox, Davis, Farage... it's a frightening prospect.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I don't think the contretemps that beset her speech will weaken her, in fact I think the opposite might happen. Many people will have sympathised, admired the way she doggedly carried on etc.
The chief reason she might stay the course is that the other options are awful for sane Tories to contemplate: early election with possible outcome of Corbyn as PM or Johnson, Fox, Davies or, ludicrous though it may seem, Rees-Mogg as PM.
But yes, it was omnishambles. Whoever gave the prankster a pass in his own name made a grave security error in allowing him to get so close to the PM, May should have brushed the paper aside, not accepted it, and I suppose we should be grateful that one of the badly attached letters in the backdrop did not form the word 'country'.
Coughing isn't the real issue. It may win sympathy. Perhaps she should have fainted.

I sat through both Leaders' speeches (masochism has its attractions) and found them both too long, light on substance and heavy on platitude and ritual sniping at opponents and, frankly, boring. The best speech of both Conferences was imo that of John McDonnell. Whatever you thought of the content, it was strong on substance, well crafted and well-delivered.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I tried to watch it but after what seemed like 5 years of my life had slipped by I said, Oh dear, and switched it off...

Reactions: Megsmum

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Been reading some comments. Posters are defending her so she got the sympathy but is that enough to run a country:eek: not a soap star getting popularity by talking about their mental breakdown.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting

Thee were some " soundbites" policies such as housing, organ donation etc but I think, the " cough" may gain her sympathy but as Isabel says, she's a beleaguered PM clinging to power because She's silly enough to believe her own hype. What the cough did was detract from the speech and depending on your point of view that's a good or bad thing.

It's the thirds time May has had to make " The Speech" in two weeks.... On both occasions she fell short. I don't think the cough/illness will make much difference it may gain her sympathy but it also added to the troubling premiership she's having.

I think she is on the verge of a breakdown, she looks bereft of any content... hollow as an Easter egg. What worries me more is that that arrogant Mog is being put forward as a potential leader.... or BJ........ or Amber Rudd..... she has a new hairstyle!

·
Registered
15,745 Posts
I heard it on the radio and felt deeply sorry for her as her voice gave way. Horrible thing to happen, especially at such a significant moment.

Typically, the British media have concentrated more attention on the cough and other mishaps than on the content of the speech. I wish they'd focus on politics rather than personalities. Is that too much to hope for in this day and age?

·
Banned
46 Posts
I heard it on the radio and felt deeply sorry for her as her voice gave way. Horrible thing to happen, especially at such a significant moment.

Typically, the British media have concentrated more attention on the cough and other mishaps than on the content of the speech.
Unfortunately it's not just the British Press that overlook the content and prefer to focus on the poor Ladies cough, at least she got to the end.

Theresa May und ihre Pannenrede: Husten, wir haben ein Problem - SPIEGEL ONLINE

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/04/world/europe/uk-theresa-may-p45-speech.html

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Interesting

Thee were some " soundbites" policies such as housing, organ donation etc but I think, the " cough" may gain her sympathy but as Isabel says, she's a beleaguered PM clinging to power because She's silly enough to believe her own hype. What the cough did was detract from the speech and depending on your point of view that's a good or bad thing.

It's the thirds time May has had to make " The Speech" in two weeks.... On both occasions she fell short. I don't think the cough/illness will make much difference it may gain her sympathy but it also added to the troubling premiership she's having.

I think she is on the verge of a breakdown, she looks bereft of any content... hollow as an Easter egg. What worries me more is that that arrogant Mog is being put forward as a potential leader.... or BJ........ or Amber Rudd..... she has a new hairstyle!
Yes, the speech was not so good either, same old soundbites, even the one that fell apart has been around for weeks. She used Corbyn examples too much instead of just referring to Labour. Also claims of plagiarism. At an interview on Sunday she looked and sounded on the verge of panic. Yes all the contenders are pathetic, surely they should be some younger upcoming candidates instead of wheeling out the same old 4 or 5. Not just the cough, was the last straw, she can't handle the pressure

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Apparently some of the speech was word for word identical to some scripts from the West Wing... perhaps she needs new speech writers.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Apparently some of the speech was word for word identical to some scripts from the West Wing... perhaps she needs new speech writers.
There was also a touch of the Kinnock speech to, the first in my family to go to Uni etc. only she told us about her Mother being a Ladies maid:rolleyes:

Aside for all the coughing etc. Not much in the speech at all. Help to buy favours those who could buy anyway. The organ opt out is not likely to gain votes, just tagged on to pad it out. Claimed that she does not share ideas or discuss with rest of Cabinet and works closely with Sir M Heywood. If the Cabinet could agree on a replacement she would have been gone this week.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There was also a touch of the Kinnock speech to, the first in my family to go to Uni etc. only she told us about her Mother being a Ladies maid:rolleyes:

Aside for all the coughing etc. Not much in the speech at all. Help to buy favours those who could buy anyway. The organ opt out is not likely to gain votes, just tagged on to pad it out. Claimed that she does not share ideas or discuss with rest of Cabinet and works closely with Sir M Heywood. If the Cabinet could agree on a replacement she would have been gone this week.
Ah but all those council houses that they can sell later :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts