Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
Im after a bit of advice on relocating from the UK to the Costa del Sol.Im hoping to move,along with my fiance,To the Costa next year.I am a qualified plumber,29 yrs old and i hope to become self employed when im there.The question im asking is, Is there much work on the Costa for me to make a living?Also any advice on advertising myself as a plumber...(the best places to do so)
We have enough money to last us a while but the sooner i start working the better.
I thank you all for taking the time to read this and im looking forward to all of your comments.
Bring on the sunshine.......
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey there,
Im after a bit of advice on relocating from the UK to the Costa del Sol.Im hoping to move,along with my fiance,To the Costa next year.I am a qualified plumber,29 yrs old and i hope to become self employed when im there.The question im asking is, Is there much work on the Costa for me to make a living?Also any advice on advertising myself as a plumber...(the best places to do so)
We have enough money to last us a while but the sooner i start working the better.
I thank you all for taking the time to read this and im looking forward to all of your comments.
Bring on the sunshine.......
Thanks again
Hi L .... welcome :)

I think that my fellow Mod Jojo replied to your first post in the introduction section - and a lot of what she said makes really good sense at the moment! :)

If you have money to get you through 12 months or so, then it may give you time to find something workwise .... but I use the word "may" cautiously! Its so hard when people ask for our opinion on here at the moment - as we want to give a fair and balanced view on living over here ......but its very difficult to give any positive info on jobs!

Unemployment around 20% and expected to get worse! Remember that we are the immigrant population here too, so without fluency in Spanish it makes it even harder to battle for the jobs that are available with the native Spanish speakers.

Jobs related to the building trade have been the worst hit to be honest, its the collapse in the construction / housing industry that is causing so many problems here ..... so unfortunately it may be that your particular trade isnt the best one to be in at the moment!

Im trying to send you some positives here :p but its difficult!

I think Jo´s suggestion for a visit is a valid one! and if you have the chance you should take it to come over and have a look around and get a feel for the place, and how things are at the moment ..... yes the weather is lovely (most of the time! lol), the beaches, the food, the people, the attitude to life ..... but that aint no good if you cant pay the rent!!!!!

What areas of the Coast have you visited before ? and what line of work is your fiance in ?

Sue :plane:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi L .... welcome :)

I think that my fellow Mod Jojo replied to your first post in the introduction section - and a lot of what she said makes really good sense at the moment! :)

If you have money to get you through 12 months or so, then it may give you time to find something workwise .... but I use the word "may" cautiously! Its so hard when people ask for our opinion on here at the moment - as we want to give a fair and balanced view on living over here ......but its very difficult to give any positive info on jobs!

Unemployment around 20% and expected to get worse! Remember that we are the immigrant population here too, so without fluency in Spanish it makes it even harder to battle for the jobs that are available with the native Spanish speakers.

Jobs related to the building trade have been the worst hit to be honest, its the collapse in the construction / housing industry that is causing so many problems here ..... so unfortunately it may be that your particular trade isnt the best one to be in at the moment!

Im trying to send you some positives here :p but its difficult!

I think Jo´s suggestion for a visit is a valid one! and if you have the chance you should take it to come over and have a look around and get a feel for the place, and how things are at the moment ..... yes the weather is lovely (most of the time! lol), the beaches, the food, the people, the attitude to life ..... but that aint no good if you cant pay the rent!!!!!

What areas of the Coast have you visited before ? and what line of work is your fiance in ?

Sue :plane:
Thanks for replying to me..We used to live in Torremolinos but had to return to the uk due to the lack of work.....We have been back in the uk a few years now but to be honest,we dont feel good here.We are so determined to return to Spain and i know the un- employment levels there are extremely high..With determination comes a way..(i hope)
My fiance is Polish and she has been involved in the hotel industry for a while..Receptionist etc so maybe there is more chance for her to work than me(hopefully not)
We have got to the stage now where we are so close to just saying 'Lets just go for it'

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
....... Bring on the sunshine????? What sunshine!! Its been pretty cloudy and wet on the CdS for the last week or so!! TRhe suns trying to make an appearance, but its not doing very well!!! You say you were in Torremolinos three years ago?? You must remember how cold it gets in the winters!!!?!

As for work down here, well, I arrived here 2 years ago and things were pretty good in general... compared to how it is now..... There is no comparison, its grim and I hate it, it seems so many people are "upping and leaving", house prices are tumbling, cost of living is rising....

Why dont you come over for a couple of months and see what you can find work wise!?? If it doesnt pan out then go back, if it does then stay???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi L

If you lived here previously do you still have contacts / friends here ? If you have then they will probably be the most reliable source for giving you a really honest opinion on how things are at the moment ;)

I really really really dont want to flatten your dreams and aspirations at the moment ... but I wouldnt be fair to you if I pretended everything was ok and told you not to worry about finding work etc!

I still think a visit should be your next step..... if you know Torremolinos well from your previous stay, then you should be able to spot any big changes or difference in the local economy there .... Torremolinos may not be the place you want to move to this time - but at least you have previous knowledge of the place so should be able to make a comparison between then and now which will help you to see for yourself if the area in general is on a downer ;)

Take care
Sue :juggle:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Nice website....hit the ground running....jobs a good 'un! :cool:
Do you know Im psychic!! When I saw you had posted Xtreme .... I placed a bet with myself that you would have either said "Nice website....hit the ground running..." ....... or "be careful you dont go anywhere near the horrible Brits"!!! I now owe myself 10 euros!

Sue x :love::D:love::D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.