Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
myself and my long term boyfriend after a bout a year of consideration to get out of ireland for a few years and dubai is top of the list, we have one major concern which we havent been able to see any info on apart from the law and details, living together as an unmarried couple, many forums say its just ink on paper not one of the most implemented laws, once you abide by no affection in public, other forums are telling us if you're going to come here get married end of this is not really an option, ok im not being shallow i want my big day not a quick run to registry office just to move to dubai but then i would hate to miss out on what i can see or hope to be a fantastic experience.:confused:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There are plenty of couples living together here that aren't married and have no problems.

It starts to become an issue when one of you has a job and the other hasn't. For instance, if your boyfriend has a job and you don't, he can't sponsor you, you don't have residency, no driving licence, apart from 1 or 2 banks - no account.

However, if you are both working, have your own sponsorships from the comapanies, my advice is to be very discreet about not being married. Only one of you would be able to be named on a tenancy agreement, and I would certainly suggest you refered to each other as "my husband" "my wife".

Please be aware, even though many couples do this, it is still illegal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.