Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, my partner and our 2 (will be 3 when we move) are going to be moving over next year all things going well.
We are coming for a month at the end of this year to do a mini tour and get a feel for things.
My question is;
I am a hair dresser and also do hair extensions, my boyfriend is a plumber/gas fitter. Would we both have to be in full time employment to fit the criteria. I've read somewhere that for me to be sponsored as my job is no longer on the list I have to be full time and if so what are the child care options for me. I'm just a little worried about it as its obviously going to take my lad a while to settle.
How have others done it? And I have been doing hair extensions for over a year but will have only just qualified as a hair dresser.
Thanks in advance

Steph

G

·
Your right in that you wouldnt be able to use your skills to get a visa. Does your hubby have qualifications? Yes whoever is the main applicant has to be full time work of several years to meet the criteria to get a visa.

Child care depends on what visa you have. The Government helps in the same way tax credits do but it wont pay for everything.

What visa are you using for your visit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ye he has been qualified for 6 years and run his own business ever since with his dad.
So I would be able to work part time then? Wasn't actually expecting to get any help as wasn't sure how it all works.
We were just going to treat the visit as a holiday and use the time to research things.
Only just come cross this site and it seems to be really helpful!

G

·
Ahh, you can work in australia part time if your husband is the main applicant and you dependent. The only time you would have to work full time is if you were the main applicant in a 457 application.
Whoever is the main applicant will need to have been working full time to apply for a 176 or 175. But assume your hubby has if he runs his own business. But proving your hours and emmployment can be difficult when self employed unless he keeps very good records.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm yeh I know for a fact he doesn't keep his records all that well!!
Does that apply even if they have sponsership via employment?
And we are not married...how does that affect it?
I thought I had looked it up pretty well!!

G

·
No but employer sponsorship is hard to come by and not likely to happen for tradesmen becuase it ccosts the employer a huge amount of time & money.
Being unmarried not an issue so long as you can prove a relationship like marriage with offical documents, such as bills, wills, insurance or morgatge documents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok yeh that wouldn't be a problem. We don't live together on paper but will be able to show savings accounts and such things.
Hmmm will have to have a think. He has family over there who could sponser him (an uncle) but we wernt sure if we could do it off our own backs.
I guess the only way is to either hope to find a sponser somehow or look into his family tie then?

Thank you by the way!

G

·
Oh right, then you dont qualify as a defacto couple and wont be able to be added as a dependent. You must prove a 12 month relationship living together as if man and wife. That would need you to prove you were both living under the same roof, bills, council tax, benefits etc

Having family in Australia doesn't really help much any more unless it is your husband or wife! Family can sponsor you if you qualify for skilled independent migration but all it means is having more forms to fill out and it takes longer as family processing is not priority. It is quicker and easier to get state sponsored migration.

But unless you plan on getting married or living legit some time soon it might not happen soon as you need the paper evidence!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shoot. So I would have to apply in my own right then? I am self employed at the moment too but only really work part time hours although the money is as much as a full time job. If I could prove that via tax returns ect (it will be 2 years by then) will that make me eligible if I could get a sponser? I will be studying too to finish off my hairdressing course. Would I be better getting a full time job and waiting 2 years?
Sorry for all the questions haha

G

·
If you could find a sponsor you could go for it but the requirements are you work full time under it. But the hard part is finding a sponsor not easy to do from the UK and even if you are in Australia most employers will shake your hand and tell you to come back when you have a visa because they either can not meet the costs of sponsoring you or wouldnt be able to meet the requirements placed no them by the department of immigration. There are strict rules on who can sponsor, ie they must spend a lot of money on training employees and must not be able to hire someone who is australian ie you are there only option.

Tax returns will prove how much you earned but will it show sufficient income for full time work? And can you provide references from clients and suppliers?

You need to get him to move in properly lol and if he can get a visa independently you can go together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may just have to do that. My lad will be nearing school age by then anyway so maybe that's the way to go.
We are going to an exhibition in November that is basically companies from Australia that will sponsor you to and help you with all this sponsor related. Hopefully that will give some more insight!
I don't always work full time hours but my wage is a full time wage and I guess the hours could be made up by business management, ordering stock ect.
Can get refs and have receipts and what not. He can't move in as he pays rent to his mum who can't work so doesn't want to leave her in the lurch. All very complicated! Maybe he will just he to though haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I have to have been working full time HERE to qualify or I just need to agree to full time work when I arrive?
Sorry for being dumb. Just so hard to find the right info online

G

·
Start here http://www.expatforum.com/expats/australia-expat-forum-expats-living-australia/4989-thinking-emigrating.html

Then check if you are eligible for any visa.............

Australian Visa Wizard - Visas & Immigration

This is one is a permanent visa, you need to have been working full time in a skilled occupation for a few years before you can apply and you need to pass a skills assessment You do not need a job offer..........

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

This one is a temporary employer sponsored visa. You need an employer willing and able to offer you a job (not every employer can sponsor even if they want to.) You need to have a skilled occupation & experience and the job offered needs to be full time.

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

But from July this year the system is changing. It is likely you will would use this system as it takes some months to prepare an application and pass a skills assessment. You wouldn't have it done before the changes take place if you have not already started.

Skillselect

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much!
Seems I should be fine as long as I can get a sponser and I have a while to sort it. Going to use the time when we visit to try and find somewhere as my boyfriend won't have a problem and I'm thinking he will prob move in at some point too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.