Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!Just joined this forum....thank you to everyone for posting useful advice on this forum. Terrific community!

We are planning to move to Dubai this summer :plane:. Can you advice if we can move a few bottles of wine (about 25-30) in our shipment with us?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Absolutely not!

No reputable shipping company will even try it, as if they are caught with your wine in their container they can be sure that their future consignments are meticulously checked, meaning holdups for their customers.

Also, goods in containers are often kept on the dockside until cleared by customs, exposure to 40C+ temperatures will not do your wine much good.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Alcohol import duty free limit is 2 litres for wine - I would say anything above that - certainly of that quantity would need to be declared upon arrival making you liable to local duty charges. I have no idea how much these are.

Wine isn't cheap in the UAE at all - incredibly expensive in fact, so it may be worth the hassle to have a good stock with you!

(PS You shipper would def not do this for you!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Super! Exactly what I needed to know .... will be drinking up before we leave for sure!

Thanks to MadamMin, MGB and SandyPool!

Kind regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings!Just joined this forum....thank you to everyone for posting useful advice on this forum. Terrific community!

We are planning to move to Dubai this summer :plane:. Can you advice if we can move a few bottles of wine (about 25-30) in our shipment with us?

am working in a relocation company. you cannot ship wines to uae. if customs caught they will hold you full continer in port and you need to pay lot of money for container charges and port charges .

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Alcohol import duty free limit is 2 litres for wine - I would say anything above that - certainly of that quantity would need to be declared upon arrival making you liable to local duty charges. I have no idea how much these are.

Wine isn't cheap in the UAE at all - incredibly expensive in fact, so it may be worth the hassle to have a good stock with you!

(PS You shipper would def not do this for you!)
I doubt you can bring duty free alcohol if you are not on tourist visa. It's not permitted for residents unless if they have a license

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is no problem with someone on a resident's visa bringing in duty free if they do not have a licence - they do not ask to see a licence at duty free

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
When I moved here I packed my own boxes and spread the bottles throughout several of them. I guess you risk losing it but I brought over about 10 bottles of whiskey, half a dozen bottles of wine and another half dozen bottles of spirits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is no problem with someone on a resident's visa bringing in duty free if they do not have a licence - they do not ask to see a licence at duty free

We are also coming from Germany and are planning a big party the day before the movers arrive....all our trips to France and these cases of wine we have stored have to go to good use!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.