Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I'm currently living in Australia with my partner who is from Washington. She has been living here for around 18 months and we applied for a partner visa here about 12 months ago. It should be done soon and we are now looking at moving over there either Washington or Cali. Is it a long process to go through? Would love some guidance. Thanks so much! I'm new to this forum but it seems very helpful.

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
The US doesn't actually have a "partner" visa - other than a B1/B2 that would allow you up to six months at a time as a "visitor" (i.e. no working).

If you were to get married, she could sponsor you for a "spouse" visa and permanent residence - however, check the requirements for "sponsorship" before you decide.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The US doesn't actually have a "partner" visa - other than a B1/B2 that would allow you up to six months at a time as a "visitor" (i.e. no working).

If you were to get married, she could sponsor you for a "spouse" visa and permanent residence - however, check the requirements for "sponsorship" before you decide.
Cheers,
Bev
Yeah we are thinking about getting married before November. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the same time here. If she has to sponsor me does that mean I can't work for the time being? Can we get it started from here in Australia?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
About the same time here. If she has to sponsor me does that mean I can't work for the time being? Can we get it started from here in Australia?
You have to start the process from Australia - YOU cannot move to the US until the visa is issued.

By sponsoring you she has to be able to show she has a certain level of income to support you. As she is in Australia I presume she has no income in the US so would need to use joint sponsors to fulfill this requirement - parents/friends/other relatives.

Read the link I gave you for all the details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will we have to wait for the partner visa here to get approved first before we do that? I cant seem to find a whole lot of information n regards to that.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Will we have to wait for the partner visa here to get approved first before we do that? I cant seem to find a whole lot of information n regards to that.
In order to get a spouse visa for the US you have to be married. An Aussie partner visa is of no relevance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks heaps for the advice guys! Do you have any recommendations on websites that show or list good areas in Cali etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't really thought too much about work yet, was going to try and get some ideas when I go over in November for a thanksgiving holiday. Currently I am an assistant manager for the 2nd biggest telecommunication company here in Australia.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you have technical skills, Bay Area offers tons of jobs in IT/Telco. It has excellent climate all year around, yet freakishly expensive for accommodation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have technical skills, Bay Area offers tons of jobs in IT/Telco. It has excellent climate all year around, yet freakishly expensive for accommodation.
Do you have any websites I can check for rough accommodation prices and areas? Thanks for your help. Do you enjoy living in America?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Check trulia and zillow for rentals. Joy is relative, expectation-dependent.

Also check health insurance costs since there is no universal coverage in the US.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts