Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st of all l'd like to say hello and think this site does an amazing job of helping those to find the right info on moving to the states !
my background is I'm married to an american girl who left the states when she was 6 yrs old , her mum and dad were irish but took american citizenship , both have recently passed away ,
we are seriously considering moving to Calafornia in the near future and wewere looking for as much information as possible , 1 question l want to put to you all, is would my children be granted citizenship as their mother is american ?

l know l'll have to apply as l was born in ireland , but with my wife being american will it be any easier for me to get citizenship ?

thanks for any help you's can provide as this is the starting point for me !

·
Super Moderator
18,089 Posts
would my children be granted citizenship as their mother is american ?
Do you mean children that you already have? If so, since your wife, the American parent, left the US when she was 6 and did not reside in the US for at least 2 years after reaching the age of 14, then no, she cannot pass on American citizenship to them. See below:

USCIS - Biological or Adopted Children Residing Outside the United States

This should help you get started with what your wife needs to do to sponsor you and the children:

Immigrant Visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1)

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
1st of all l'd like to say hello and think this site does an amazing job of helping those to find the right info on moving to the states !
my background is I'm married to an american girl who left the states when she was 6 yrs old , her mum and dad were irish but took american citizenship , both have recently passed away ,
we are seriously considering moving to Calafornia in the near future and wewere looking for as much information as possible , 1 question l want to put to you all, is would my children be granted citizenship as their mother is american ?

l know l'll have to apply as l was born in ireland , but with my wife being american will it be any easier for me to get citizenship ?

thanks for any help you's can provide as this is the starting point for me !
One step at a time. It is a long road from a spouse being US citizen to becoming a US citizen.

My first question - she does have a valid US passport and has been filing US tax returns?

As already posted she cannot transfer her citizenship to her children. They will go the Green Card route but will be granted citizenship at point of entry.

Familiarize yourself with the requirements from documentation to finances. travel.state.gov and uscis.gov are official sites which walk you through step by step including the respective forms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One step at a time. It is a long road from a spouse being US citizen to becoming a US citizen.

My first question - she does have a valid US passport and has been filing US tax returns?

As already posted she cannot transfer her citizenship to her children. They will go the Green Card route but will be granted citizenship at point of entry.

Familiarize yourself with the requirements from documentation to finances. travel.state.gov and uscis.gov are official sites which walk you through step by step including the respective forms.
Hi Twostep,
she does have a valid passport she never gave up her citizenship when she left the states , she has never filed a tax return for the states as she left their when she was 6 yrs old ,so are they all the sites l need to visit to get the ball rolling to find out what exactly l need to do to gain citizenship ?
many thanks for all your help !:thumb:

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Hi Twostep,
she does have a valid passport she never gave up her citizenship when she left the states , she has never filed a tax return for the states as she left their when she was 6 yrs old ,so are they all the sites l need to visit to get the ball rolling to find out what exactly l need to do to gain citizenship ?
many thanks for all your help !:thumb:
Your wife has to file at least the last three years of US tax returns. As citizen she is required to do so. irs.gov Use the search function - bev has been kind enough to leave information on this on numerous occasions or she may post it for you again.

You will not gain US citizenship until you have been legally married, held a Green Card for three years, applied for citizen ship, your application got approved and you got sworn in.

Your first step is your wife's application to sponsor you. And you can read up on this in detail on the two OFFICIAL sites I have given you. Should you have questions or get stuck in legal lingo - let us know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.