Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Hoping someone here can help us, I am a UKC married to a USC living in the UK. We got married in the UK a year ago and we are both wanting to move to my USC's hometown in the USA together... we'd like to avoid a seperation whilst doing this and would like some advice on the best solution.

We have read that we could both go to the USA together and then I could adjust my status after 60 days of being there... are there any issues doing it this way?

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
The only issue is that it does not work that way!

As married couple you can go CR1 or if you qualify Direct Consular Filing as long as the London US Embassy still handles it.

travel.state.gov will walk you through!

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
Counting on adjusting status from a VWP is risky at best. The main thing is that you technically have to lie on entry to the US because on a VWP you are supposed to be arriving only for a limited "visit." If you have the intention to remain permanently, you can be denied entry - and then the fun really begins!

Best thing might be to apply for a spouse visa from the UK. Your USC spouse either has to have the means of support to sponsor your visa, or can appeal to a family member to co-sponsor. Seeing as you are planning to move back to your spouse's home town, this might be the most direct approach - and you can do your waiting together in the UK.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bev, we can get a co-sponsor... if we do this, does it mean we don't have to be seperated during the whole visa process? Can anyone advise where is best to start on getting this application processed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is VERY helpful, thank you... i now understand that an I-130 can be filled from the UK, just reading the page as to what happens once the I-130 has been approved, but its not clear exactly what the next process is... can someone clarify please?

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Once the I-130 has been formally acknowledged as received the sponsor can proceed to file for a visa (via I-129F). Once the visa is approved the recipient picks it up, moves to the U.S., finishes the remaining USCIS paperwork (green card, etc.), and lives happily ever after one hopes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At what stage in the process do you need to get a co-sponsor/meet financial requirements... is that once you've moved to the USA (After the I-130 and I129F?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Hoping someone here can help us, I am a UKC married to a USC living in the UK. We got married in the UK a year ago and we are both wanting to move to my USC's hometown in the USA together... we'd like to avoid a seperation whilst doing this and would like some advice on the best solution.

We have read that we could both go to the USA together and then I could adjust my status after 60 days of being there... are there any issues doing it this way?

Thanks
Don
Well if she is a US citizen and you are married to her, then I guess there is no issues with that but you might need to provide some legal documents of your marriage.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Well if she is a US citizen and you are married to her, then I guess there is no issues with that but you might need to provide some legal documents of your marriage.
Unfortunately USCIS does not share your guess and very specific requirements are in place. You may want to go through the links and information being provided to OP for future reference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts