Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will shortly be moving to the UK to be with my wife who is from Italy but exercising her treaty rights in London. I will be applying for the EEA(FM) resident card shortly after arriving. We want to open a joint bank account together and I was wondering if I would have any problems with this before I receive my resident card or CoA. Here are a few questions:

1.) What will banks in the UK ask of me before allowing me to have a joint bank account or even a solo bank account?
2.) Should I apply immediately for the NHS insurance number when I arrive? Will our marriage license(from Texas) be enough?
3.) What will I need to obtain a UK driver's license? Will my US drivers license be enough? If so, what will I need to do once my US driver's license expires?
4.) When applying for the EEA(FM) should I send in proof of our living arrangement? I've heard that this is unnecessary but would like more advice on this.
5.) Is there anything on the EEA(FM) that trips a lot of people up when applying? It seems like a really basic form, albeit long, and the documents needed seem pretty simple as well.

Thanks for all the help :)

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
#1 At least a visa or permission to stay, so you need residence card as EEA family permit is only good for 6 months, plus permanent address (with evidence such as utility bill, council tax bill/statement, official tenancy agreement drawn up by letting agent, not private landlord).
#2 You must register with GP. Take your passport but with only 6-month EEA family permit, that may not be enough. Get travel insurance to cover you for the first few months in UK.
#3 Your US licence is valid for 12 months from arrival. After 6 months, take out provisional licence, get some driving lessons and then take and pass both parts of driving test, theory and practice. Then they will issue you a full UK driving licence. If your US licence expires before you get UK one, you need to get it extended/renewed or you will be subject to learner driver restrictions like being accompanied by full UK licence holder, displaying L plates, banned from motorway etc.
#4 You need proof of accommodation like tenancy agreement.
#5 Genuine relationship. If you haven't been married for long or have only been together for a short period (say less than a year), you may like to include some evidence like photos, travel tickets, joint financial responsibility etc. They often interview people or make an unannounced visit to your home so beware.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.