Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am moving India to london Harrow for permanent work in coming few days. I wanted to know about internet usage, facilities of wifi and what are the charges or internet plan for the same as soon as reach to london how we need to plan.

Please help.

Regards,
Prash

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Get a data SIM card and put into an unlocked 3G/4G phone. You can get 6GB from around £15. Also many PAYG SIMs include unlimited data.
Once you find somewhere permanent to live, you can try getting a landline (several providers) and wired broadband. Landline costs you from around £15 a months (with varying minimum period, usually a year) and broadband around £10 to £30 depending on package and any special offers. Or some people just use mobile internet (you normally get good coverage in London).
There are some free wifis, such as at Starbucks, McD and some shopping centres, but you can't rely on them for regular use.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi,

I am moving India to london Harrow for permanent work in coming few days. I wanted to know about internet usage, facilities of wifi and what are the charges or internet plan for the same as soon as reach to london how we need to plan.

Please help.

Regards,
Prash
Hi Prash,

If you're planning to rent a house/flat then the options are:

ADSL broadband from Sky/TalkTalk/BT/ Plust Net for around £25 per month-12 months contract. (£17 phone line rental + £8 internet) gives 17MB speed and unlimited download with free WiFi router and cables.

Cable broadband from Virgin for £29 gives 50MB super speed and unlimited download with free WiFi router and cables (provided your house previously had Virgin connection-if not cannot have Virgin line!). This again a 12 month contract.

If you're planning to share your house with someone, then above cost halved.

OR

You can have a mobile SIM form Three(3) network for £24 per month which gives 600 free minutes, unlimited SMS and unlimited internet data (with 4GB tethering limit-for WiFi). This is 1 month contract and if you go for a 12 months contract SIM, then it'd cost around £20

Hope this Helps.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
It may not be easy for a new arrival to get a contract SIM - may have to pay a deposit of several hundreds. Hence my suggestion for PAYG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for your alwys best support..!!

I also wanted to know what are the medical insurance policy in London as i am moving permanent to London for my work.

Regards,
Prash

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You don't need it as you will be covered by NHS (free if you are on Tier 2 intra-company transfer or having paid health surcharge). Your employer may offer private medical insurance as part of your pay deal (which will be taxed). If not, it's optional.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.