Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :)

To start with, my name's Tani and I'm 18 years old. I am currently living in germany. For more than two years I am in a relationship with a guy from England. However, after many short visits we decided to give up the expensive flying and we are gonna move together at end of this year. My boyfriend has his own house.

Now I got some questions about moving to the UK. I read it's not a big deal cause im european. But I still am not sure about the following things:

- I'll need to get a new pill when I'm there. Will doctors just see me for free? Do I have to apply anywhere to see a doctor? (I don't mind paying, it's just important for me to know this)

- I'll also need to get new contacts, I think thats about the same as the doctor. Can I just go and see an optician?

- People told me I have to go to a local council centre in the town I'm gonna live and bring them my ID card. Also I need to change my address to the new one in England. Is there anything else to do? I know that I won't need a visa.

Just a bit confused about all these things at the moment hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance :)

G

·
You should get your boyfriend to put your name down with council (for council tax) you/he will then get a bill in joint names.

He takes you along to his doctors surgery and you register. Will see doctors for free, may need to pay for prescription dependent on your circumstances. Make sure you bring a copy of your German prescription, doctors wont just hand out pills on your say so.

You can walk into any optician with your prescription. They will probably want to do a test and check you out. It could be free or charged dependent on your income. Doesnt cost much but the contacts might. You will get a voucher towards it if you qualify but you would usually have to pay some extra as the voucher is not worth much.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Hello everyone :)

To start with, my name's Tani and I'm 18 years old. I am currently living in germany. For more than two years I am in a relationship with a guy from England. However, after many short visits we decided to give up the expensive flying and we are gonna move together at end of this year. My boyfriend has his own house.

Now I got some questions about moving to the UK. I read it's not a big deal cause im european. But I still am not sure about the following things:

- I'll need to get a new pill when I'm there. Will doctors just see me for free? Do I have to apply anywhere to see a doctor? (I don't mind paying, it's just important for me to know this)
Register with a doctor (GP - like Allgemeinarzt) and they will prescribe contraceptive pills free. Or you can go to a family planning clinic.

- I'll also need to get new contacts, I think thats about the same as the doctor. Can I just go and see an optician?
Yes, as you have to pay for your own contact lenses.

- People told me I have to go to a local council centre in the town I'm gonna live and bring them my ID card. Also I need to change my address to the new one in England. Is there anything else to do? I know that I won't need a visa.
There is no population register as in Germany (Einwohneramt). The only thing you want to get, if you are going to work, is national insurance number. Get in touch with Jobcentre Plus (like Arbeitsamt). When you move in together, you have to let the council know so that your name is on the council tax bill, and he will lose 25% single household discount.

As an EU national, there is little red tape (official bureaucracy) in UK. Your national ID card (Personalausweis) or passport is the only document you really need to exercise treaty rights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your answers it helped me a lot :)

Now my boyfriend just came up with a question. His house is registered as a business but he moved his business downstairs and built a little flat for us upstairs. He's currently trying to change the business adress to a living and Bbsiness address but it will take a while.

How Long can i live in the UK without an address?
And can I still go and see an doctor without having one or would I need to wait?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You need a residential address, but if there is a living accommodation attached to business premises, that should be sufficient.
Your stay in UK isn't dictated by your address. Make sure you get EHIC (Europäische Krankenversicherungskarte) before moving to UK which gives you free access to health service for a temporary period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.