Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am excited about this move. I have no fears, but I do not want to make any mistakes if I can help it.

Let me give you an example. I am a big fan of Hawaiian shirts, I own dozens of them. They all have flowers and plants and people on them. I read once that this is forbidden in Arab countries because only Allah can make a flower. Will I be in trouble if I wear a flowered shirt in public?

Likewise, I think I would like to wear the flowing robes the men there wear. Can I without getting in trouble?

I will be living in Sharaj. Give me an idea of a taxi fare from an outlying area to the shoreline?

I'll have more Q's later. Anything you want to tell me now would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Hi,

Sharjah is basically a little backward in sense of dressign etc. In dubai there is no problem in wearing Hawaiian Shirts and I presume that even Sharjah would not mind it as long as there are no naked girls and stuff like that on your shirts. Shorts were not allowed in Sharjah sometime back and I am sure the rule still applies. Taxi fares to the beach would be about 10-15dhs (about 4usd) you could easily purchase a robe and go about as long as you dont mess with the arabian tradition. Basically, no one looks at you if you are dressed normally and just doing your stuff.

Dubai is far more relaxed and once you enter the country you would find its not all that harsh as people say it is. Remember you can purchase 4 alcoholic bottles without a liscense at the duty free when you enter the country......

Cheers,

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.