Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on moving from NYC to Tulum in mid-July. i have done some research, saving money, and know some Spanish. I have a degree in Photography as well as great experience in other fields of work...are there any expats from the US living there currently?
does anyone have any info or advice about:

-Jobs, either there or work via the computer?
-Apartment/Room rentals?
-Banking? (bancomer...not sure if I need employment or actual utility bills to open and account)?
-Staying more than 6 months...? ( I read you can take your tourist visa to the boarder after 6 months and request a new one to stay longer...is this true or do I need employment in MX or any other additional paperwork stating my finances?

Any additional information is greatly appreciated!!!
Muchas Gracias!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I am planning on moving from NYC to Tulum in mid-July. i have done some research, saving money, and know some Spanish. I have a degree in Photography as well as great experience in other fields of work...are there any expats from the US living there currently?

-Apartment/Room rentals?
-Banking? (bancomer...not sure if I need employment or actual utility bills to open and account)?
-Staying more than 6 months...? ( I read you can take your tourist visa to the boarder after 6 months and request a new one to stay longer...is this true or do I need employment in MX or any other additional paperwork stating my finances?

Muchas Gracias!
How much time have you spent in Tulum?

It's changed greatly over the past few years, from a sleepy little town to a snowbird destination.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much time have you spent in Tulum?

It's changed greatly over the past few years, from a sleepy little town to a snowbird destination.
A little over a week...I know a few people there and other parts of MX but they are residents....any advice on the above topics? Are you living there?

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are forums dedicated to the Mayan Riviera area (hope I am allowed to post that, as I did not post a link to another forum) that you may find helpful with regard to some of your questions relating to Tulum, answers to your other questions can most definitely be found here.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

-Apartment/Room rentals?

Muchas Gracias!
You will need a FM3 type visa with a work permit. Rumor has it that selling time shares and condos will get you a work permit fast.
Try VivaStreet Resultados de tu Búsqueda Vivastreet for suggestions on apts.
You'll need an FM3 type visa, at least, to open a bank account. However, some banks will open one with a Tourist Permit (FMM).
180 days on the tourist visa and, yes, many hop a bus to Belize and return to get a new tourist permit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm ok, but to get a FM3 you have to have proof of employment first correct? I read that Bancomer opens tourist banck accounts...but I think you need proof of utility bill or other...what if everything is already included in the apartment rental...maybe I should just contact the bank...
As for the Visa...do I have to actually cross the boarder? Can't I go to an embassy or boarder nearby and request a new 180 day visa 10 days before the first one expires?
Or do I have to actually spend time outside the country?
Ps, thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
hmm ok, but to get a FM3 you have to have proof of employment first correct? I read that Bancomer opens tourist banck accounts...but I think you need proof of utility bill or other...what if everything is already included in the apartment rental...maybe I should just contact the bank...
As for the Visa...do I have to actually cross the boarder? Can't I go to an embassy or boarder nearby and request a new 180 day visa 10 days before the first one expires?
Or do I have to actually spend time outside the country?
Ps, thanks everyone for the help.
You either need a job or an income from outside of Mexico in the amount of ~1,300 usd per month. Get the utility bill from the landlord - that is sufficient.

As for the tourist permit trick - some do and some don't. Ask some gringos in Tulum as how they do it. You can only get a tourist visa at the border or on arrival by air.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan to have some savings in $ before I leave to live off of for at least 10 months if I can't find employment...and I was going to have a family member hold it for me and transfer funds when needed...I read somewhere that in order to get a second FMM sometimes they require proof of employment or proof of savings to live and you can have a family member vouch that he/she is footing the bill i.e. you are a dependent...? Any US expats here living on a 2nd or multiple visas??? Advice on obtaining one after 180days?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I plan to have some savings in $ before I leave to live off of for at least 10 months if I can't find employment...and I was going to have a family member hold it for me and transfer funds when needed...I read somewhere that in order to get a second FMM sometimes they require proof of employment or proof of savings to live and you can have a family member vouch that he/she is footing the bill i.e. you are a dependent...? Any US expats here living on a 2nd or multiple visas??? Advice on obtaining one after 180days?
About the only way to get around the income requirement without local employment is to attend a school recognized my Migration. Generally speaking, that would be a degree granting institution. For instance, language classes at an university, not a local private school.
Most who live here have a bank account in the US and withdraw funds from an ATM. Bank of America debit and credit cards can withdraw funds from Scotia and Santander banks without fee from either BoA or the local bank.
The FMM (tourist permit) is issued at the border or on arrival by air. The is no renewal beyond 180 days. You have to leave the country. Thus the trip to Belize.
Before 180 are up, you can apply for a FM3 type visa and that would have either employment or income requirements as I mentioned above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well it seems like I may have to take a trip to get another FMM....does anyone know if I have to leave the country for a specific amount of time?

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I remember correctly, you need to leave for 72 hours. We now know a very nice lady at the Belize/Mexico border who does not make us do that anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you meet her? And obviously this is a special circumstance...does anyone else have experience going to the boarder or just renewing a FMM? IS there any info about this on a consulate page...can't seem to find the info....?

·
Registered
111 Posts
How did you meet her? And obviously this is a special circumstance...does anyone else have experience going to the boarder or just renewing a FMM? IS there any info about this on a consulate page...can't seem to find the info....?
She just recognizes my family. Second from last time we went she told us that we did not have to leave for three days and that she would do our cards while redoing the import sticker for our truck and, true enough when we went in January she just did it. We did come prepared to go to Belize, just in case.

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Lydia, keep in mind that there is no way to renew an FMM. You have to leave Mexico (even if it's just for a brief time) and then you come back across the border with a brand new FMM in hand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have read many places that you simply go to the immigration office and get a NEW FMM (sorry about the confusion, not a RENEWAL)...aside from that...if anything I should just be prepared to leave the country when I go? Is 72 hours the law? I will be flying by plane...I understand there are 30 day, 60 day, and 180 day FMMs? Which one is given on the plane and how do I request a 180 day FMM? I am just trying to figure out the most cost effective and easiest way of doing this (if I don't have employment)...taxis, lodging, travel, etc back and forth to the boarder gets expensive...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have read many places that you simply go to the immigration office and get a NEW FMM (sorry about the confusion, not a RENEWAL)...aside from that...if anything I should just be prepared to leave the country when I go? Is 72 hours the law? I will be flying by plane...I understand there are 30 day, 60 day, and 180 day FMMs? Which one is given on the plane and how do I request a 180 day FMM? I am just trying to figure out the most cost effective and easiest way of doing this (if I don't have employment)...taxis, lodging, travel, etc back and forth to the boarder gets expensive...
Any more, Migration will give you a 180 day FMM. Ask for 180 days to be sure. The FMM can be renewed UP TO 180 days. That is, if you get a 150 day FMM, you can get an additional 30 days added on at the local Migration office for a fee. After that, you need to exit the country and reenter to get a new one. Migration DOES NOT issue new FMMs.

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
I have read many places that you simply go to the immigration office and get a NEW FMM (sorry about the confusion, not a RENEWAL)...aside from that...if anything I should just be prepared to leave the country when I go? Is 72 hours the law? I will be flying by plane...I understand there are 30 day, 60 day, and 180 day FMMs? Which one is given on the plane and how do I request a 180 day FMM?
I've never heard of going to Migración to get a new FMM, but that doesn't mean it has never happened. Where are the places you've read that this is the case? In the past, tourist cards were issued for varying amounts of time depending on the whim of the person stamping them when you entered Mexico, but for the last few years, everyone has been given one for 180 days. All of these rules and regulations can be very confusing and even aggravating (not to mention the added problem of all the inaccurate information found on the internet;) ), but it's just part of the "fun" of becoming an expat!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the help, everyone!!!!
I will just have to find out how long exactly I will have to leave the country for before I return....is anyone an expat to Tulum from the states? Any advice, tips...etc for living, moving, finding work etc...???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have read it multiple places including : How to Move to Mexico
BUT it doesn't say exactly if you have to leave and for how long...
Again, anyone in Tulum or the area, that is from the States living without a job or has any tips, advice...????
Thanks again!

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have flown in at least ten times in the last four years and have always been given 180 days. Once, a lady was just going to give us 60 days and I just asked for 180.

I do not know if it is the law to have to leave for 72 hours but for us, as long as the one certain lady is at where you do your vehicles, we do not have to leave Mexico.

I just spoke to a friend who lives in Chetumal who is going to Belize next week because he needs a new FMM. He wanted to just get it done without leaving and without going into Belize just to turn around and pay their exit fee. He went to the border last week and was told, yes, he has to leave for 72 hours.

Again, whether it is the law, I do not know. Sometimes things here change depending on who you talk to and some things are hard to get definite answers on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.