Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

We're a couple from Venezuela, moving to the UK in mid February, i have various concerns regarding immigration to the country, and even after reading these forums there seems to be many arguing about some needed certifications and/or stamps i.e. Family Permit or Stamp 1A.

Anyway... I'm a Spain EEU national and i'm leaving with my very soon to be wife (from Venezuela).

I have some concerns about entering the UK, do i need to get a Family Permit for her before the trip? or just apply for a 1A stamp at arrival...

I know i need an officially translated marriage certificate.

So i would like to know which steps should i take before and after arrival?
First off i would like her to be able to apply for a job as soon as possible, (btw as a EEU national do i need anything before i can take a job?)

What kinds of jobs could my wife take if she has low english knowledge?

Do i need to be concerned about the time EEA1/EEA2 applications take if we might be traveling in december? if my passport is away due to EEA1 application i don't have a right to get a job?

and finally...

We have no place to arrive to, no friends or acquaintances as of this moment, we are going on a very tight budget and i don't know what would be the cheapest option for accommodation on arrival, maybe we could stay in a hotel for a week, but is it possible to find rent in just a week? do you have any tips for renting? which zones/neighborhood are the best/cheapest etc... Should we rent in advance before traveling?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, any information i may have missed would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Greetings!

We're a couple from Venezuela, moving to the UK in mid February, i have various concerns regarding immigration to the country, and even after reading these forums there seems to be many arguing about some needed certifications and/or stamps i.e. Family Permit or Stamp 1A.

Anyway... I'm a Spain EEU national and i'm leaving with my very soon to be wife (from Venezuela).

I have some concerns about entering the UK, do i need to get a Family Permit for her before the trip? or just apply for a 1A stamp at arrival...

I know i need an officially translated marriage certificate.

So i would like to know which steps should i take before and after arrival?
First off i would like her to be able to apply for a job as soon as possible, (btw as a EEU national do i need anything before i can take a job?)

What kinds of jobs could my wife take if she has low english knowledge?

Do i need to be concerned about the time EEA1/EEA2 applications take if we might be traveling in december? if my passport is away due to EEA1 application i don't have a right to get a job?

and finally...

We have no place to arrive to, no friends or acquaintances as of this moment, we are going on a very tight budget and i don't know what would be the cheapest option for accommodation on arrival, maybe we could stay in a hotel for a week, but is it possible to find rent in just a week? do you have any tips for renting? which zones/neighborhood are the best/cheapest etc... Should we rent in advance before traveling?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, any information i may have missed would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum!

Unless a moderator steps in, I'll answer your questions later on today.

Saludos!

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Where in the UK are you intending to move to?

You mention zones/neighbourhoods for places to live - so presume London?

Why would you be moving to the most expensive place in the UK on a tight budget, no place to stay, no acquaintances, and, more importantly, no jobs?

How do you intend to live if you don't obtain jobs straight away - a very likely scenario since there is unemployment in the UK and London has more waiters, cleaners, retail staff, hotel staff than it knows what to do with. (Your wife has only a litttle English so will have even more difficulty)

Read below of the plight of a guy with three degrees who is unable to find a decent job:

Spaniard becomes voice of country's 'lost generation' - Telegraph

Some things to think about .........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your insight Crawford, i failed to give some more details...

Yes the city we have on our minds is London, the main reason for us going there is because i have a degree and expertise in the IT and computer science area, London is one of the places that has the higher amount of jobs in the IT area.

My wife has a degree in the construction area, i know it will be harder to her to find a job, but we're willing to live with that for the time being.

I've read before that story about the spaniard with degrees and cleaning toilets, however from the story it's clear that he doesn't handle the language very well, and his area of expertise has a much lesser offer for jobs.

We're past the point of no return, so it's pretty much a fact that we will be arriving on Gatwick on February 20th and what happens from that point onwards is very unknown to us.

If you know a better city/place/zone with more jobs offer or lower price of living, please do tell...

I know that having no acquaintances/friends London is a big disadvantage, however we have no friends over any country other than ours, except for Spain of course but... that's obviously not an option for anyone, in fact that spaniard from that article states that he's happier cleaning toilets in London than going back to Spain...

So any help, tips, information, suggestions from going onwards after arriving on Gatwick is very welcome! and again thank you for your insight!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I would suggest you start researching job/employment sites in the UK, and familiarise yourself with towns/cities in the UK.

Anywhere in the UK will be cheaper than London. Have you looked at Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Basingstoke, Guildford, Oxford, Newcastle? all with IT companies.

Arriving in Gatwick with no idea of where you are going to live and work is extremely foolhardy in this economic climate.

Do you not have a home and work currently in Venezuela?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well... it's not like we have no idea what happens after Gatwick, we have the idea to survive a month in London with the money we're leaving with and hopefully i'll find a job during that time, however if i find a much better offering from another city well of course i'll take it, i did some research for jobs and rent in other cities (Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester) however i found rents to cost pretty much the same, the flats all seemed to be smaller in average and in worse condition... and about jobs, well there are plenty of IT job offers, but nowhere as near as in London, and the average wages where somewhat lower too...

Is there some other cost of living in London which i'm not seeing? i've done a lot of research and there are places to eat cheap in london, like Pubs, and some sandwich stores and stuff like that, would it be cheaper in other city?

It's not like we don't have a plan, our plan as of this moment is to stay in a hotel for a week and search for a job and rent like crazy for that week, maybe even rent beforehand from abroad... but i've read many stories about doing that and they're no good. I know that it's a pretty crazy plan but is the best we've got for the moment.

What i meant about not knowing what happens after Gatwick means that nothing is set on stone after that.

About Venezuela... well... i don't own anything here, no home, and well we both have jobs here, but the state of the economy here means we can barely eat with that, we live in a room in one of my parents house and we have many personal problems staying here, buying or renting is out of the question because as i said we can barely eat with what we earn, at the time being, as our currency is valued my wife makes the equivalent of 96£ a month and that's a professional construction job wage, and i make about the same in average (i don't have a fixed income), and as the economic climate is here it will only get worse, of course that's not like making 96£ in the UK because Venezuela is a much cheaper country and you won't spend the same in food and services, however everything that comes from imports will be the same prices that you pay, to put that into perspective a basic 32" HDTV costs 200£ in the UK, and it costs the same here, so for us to buy a 32" TV would have to spend a whole 2 months worth of money and that would be if we just don't eat and don't spent anything...

So... yeah the situation in Venezuela is very very bad, and just keeps getting worse with no even a far sight of improvement...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,

So as an Spaniard national, you can move to UK and apply for and accept employment before you even arrive there, and I will actually suggest to procure a Family Permit (Entry Clearance) for your wife so she can look for employment upon arrival. Unfortunately even with a well spoken English, finding a job in UK is challenging. Y'all will find menial jobs, but still the competition for those is fierce and pay is extremely low.

London is one of the most expensive cities in the world, and finding accommodation is expensive, difficult and a task on its own. But, millions of people have made it. You could book a week at a hotel (expensive) or try to find some other type of accommodation (hostel) that will/might fit your budget.

I don't know how much money y'all are bringing, but honestly you will need at least £8-£10k to make it thru 3 months. In that time, you might be able to find another job(s) and to connect with other people (networking). There's a group on Facebook called: VeneIn. It's an open group for Venezuelans in the UK. Some of those chaps have their own business, and others are recruiters.

With your background in IT, have you even considered Canada as destination? There's more opportunities, and it's closer to " home".

And I agreed with ya in how devastated Venezuela is. I recently spent 3 days in Venezuela (Maracaibo) and literally ran away for it.

Suerte!

Animo
(Cheers)

Reactions: Sandman21dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We'll try to get a Family Permit before arriving from the British Consulate then...
Also i will try to apply for a job even before arriving if being an EEA national allows me to do that.

I'll keep looking for cheaper rent in other cities and job opportunities. (so far no good, maaaybe Manchester)

I did consider Canada, i guess during the past few years i've considered almost every country, but my chances for Canada immigration were very low, so i rather enter a country as a EEA national and have pretty much the same rights as a local citizen.

And we already bought the plane tickets so there is no turning back now, you probably heard of the crazy plane ticket situation that is going on right now here in Venezuela so that means there is no changing them or moving them, i'm still not having second thoughts or anything like that, i don't expect it to be easy.

If after some time we don't do well enough in the UK or we don't like it, we'll be ready to move onwards then... but that is just getting well ahead of ourselves.

It's really sad the situation Venezuela is going through i hope your short stay here wasn't too unpleasant, and that you weren't robbed or anything like that.

Muchas Gracias por tu ayuda! La apreciamos mucho!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,

If y'all can start gathering all supporting documents to apply for an EEA-FP, please do so, and try to apply in December.

I met some Venezuelans in Birmingham, and they were doing well back then. However, they have been relocated to Aberdeen since. They liked it there because it wasn't as expensive as London, and they both had good jobs. However, as expensive as it is, London still leads the way. If you decide to stay in London, get an Oyster card and purchase a monthly pass ( it will save you some ££). Get a pre-paid mobile from Three 3, and use "budget friendly" markets such as: Tesco, Iceland and Asda to buy groceries.

Another aspect is clothing. Still in February y'all will need a nice warm coat, scarf, gloves and a good umbrella. Replace coffee with tea, and drink plenty of water. Fruits!! Eat fruits to help you settle your stomach and follow this excellent advice: Jet lag calculator - British Airways And the number 1 and most important suggestion: do not focus on what material possession others have, but focus on your well being and try to secure the basics first.....and as difficult as it might seem or get, stop to smell the roses.

One of the disappointments I had in my short stay in Venezuela, was getting my car from customs and the astonishing level of corruption.

Suerte!

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are four months before you come to London. There are Spanish people living in London. Make contact before you come to London. Is there a newspaper in London for Spanish speakers? Look up Spanish meetup in meetup.com. Look up Facebook. Look up couchsurfing. Look up Venezuelans in London. Make a network and ask questions. How do you find a place to stay? How do you find a job? Anyone travelling to a big city can do this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.