Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! First post on this forum! :D

I have loads of questions that google doesn't seem to be answering!

The move will be to Dallas/Fort Worth area TX, I will be moving over there with my current company, they will be sorting out my visa and all paperwork etc. Will be looking to move over with my wife and a couple of pets but moving them over seems to be fairly straightforward from what I've read.

I just want to find out the "hidden" costs of living in Texas like car insurance, "council tax", health insurance, any other sort of insurances that would need to be considered when budgeting for moving.

The plan as I see it now is to rent for about 12 months building up a credit history etc before buying a property.

Thinking leasing a car sounds like a better option but not sure of any hidden/extra costs there might be?

Sorry for all the questions!! :)

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
There are no hidden costs.

Car and pretty insurance is high because of weather damage. Some reports say the big carriers will go up 15-20% this year. Ours has gone up 10% every year.

Pull up Ft. Worth Telegram - home sales have hit the 10k mark this year. Be prepared to pay premium instead of negotiating. Our rate has hit 3.5% with a increase of value for tax purposes of 33% in four years.

Boom town USA:))) Everything is available. It depends on what you want, need and are willing to pay.

It is a huge metroplex. What area will you be moving to? That determines all answers.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
You should be obtaining health insurance through your company.

So ask them how much per month you will be paying, what your deductibles, co-pays etc will be.

The cost will depend on how many people you are insuring.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Moving your pets is indeed not that hard as long as you pay the airline and ... if they are just a regular dog/cat/horse (and not on the banned list). But.. renting with 'a couple of pets' can be a challenge as there are landlords who don't want pets in their house. Also home owners associations often prevent you from having pets, and local regulations can also limit the amount/sort of pets you are allowed to have.
So: what kind of pets do you have, and how many?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Moving your pets is indeed not that hard as long as you pay the airline and ... if they are just a regular dog/cat/horse (and not on the banned list). But.. renting with 'a couple of pets' can be a challenge as there are landlords who don't want pets in their house. Also home owners associations often prevent you from having pets, and local regulations can also limit the amount/sort of pets you are allowed to have.
So: what kind of pets do you have, and how many?
http://fortworthtexas.gov/uploadedF...ouncil/Official_Documents/Ordinance 10553.pdf

HOAs are on a rather short leash in Texas since one tangled with Soldiers And Sailors Act.

You are correct - renting with pets can be daunting task and that everywhere in the world.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully pets shouldn't be too bad the places ive looked at renting all accept cats and dogs under 25lbs and my dog is about 20 so should be well within limits so i'm hoping that will be the easy stage!

I am thinking around addison as that is where the head office will be and I've heard traffic is bad. Health insurance the company should be providing.

I saw the price of car insurance is sky high!! It's taken me so long to get mine down to under £300pa! :( Nevermind!!! - At Least the fuel is cheap! Although i read somewhere to expect to pay around $100+ in toll roads?
Also is there a car road tax like in the UK? What other costs should I factor into the car expense.

Also whats the council tax equivalent over there? - Our price includes rubbish collection and maintenance to local area like street lights and public spaces in the local area to be maintained.

What sort of tax would I expect to pay on a $50,000pa salary? - Also can it be paid monthly or do you guys only have yearly tax?

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Are you looking to move to Ft. Worth on a 50k salary?

Your vehicle has to be registered and insured and pass annual inspection. Insurance rates are based on a matrix including vehicle specifics, location, driver's age and driving history.

Traffic makes up for lower fuel cost. You can google Toll Road specifics. It runs around 1$/mile.

IRS.gov will give you specifics on federal income tax. Texas has no state income tax.

Your employer will probably provide health insurance coverage and charge premiums. Please read the fine print, especially co-payment, catastrophic cap, physician choice. How about dental and vision?

Winter temps have been in the single digits, icing closed everything down from international airport to mail system during the five years we have been here. Summers get into the 100+ which seriously restricts outdoor activities. As they say here - you do not like the weather wait ten minutes. Tornadoes and earthquakes have not been too bad this summer.

Utilities or some utilities are often included in rentals. You find details on Ft. Worth' site. Electric/gas depends on your location. As home owner you pay for incoming and outgoing water, trash, gas, power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it would be around 50k USD not GBP - That seems a decent amount to me but not sure? - No income tax sounds like heaven though! :D

I was thinking of leasing either a Ford Fusion or maybe a Mustang but not really made to much of a decision, on that yet but want to get something that takes advantage of the low fuel cost as I have a tiny little diesel over here!

Does the tornadoes and earthquakes effect day to day life badly - I know this sentence sounds stupid but never experienced this before and everytime anyone mentions the weather they sort of shrug it off as if it's nothing!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Weather is part of daily life. There is not much you can do about Mother Nature.

50k puts you at the low end here. 1 br apartment in a decent area runs 1k if you are very lucky and not picky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts