Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sydney Suburbs - Where's Best??

Hi all

I'm due to go to Sydney at the end of March 2008 with my family on a 457 Visa and want some advice on where the best places in or around Sydney to live are.

My kids are 10 and 12 and we are happy enough living in the Suburbs. My commute will be to Central Sydney but on the South side of the bridge and I dont really want to commute for more than 45mins, but I suppose the most important thing is good state schools.

I've read the North is expensive and although the west is cheaper its less populated by expats than the South. The South (or the Shires as I think its called) is popular with expates and indigenous aussies.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends what you are used to and how much you want to spend. What type of house do you imagine living in. Do you want strip-mall type shopping or village? Will you have 2 cars or 1 or none?

I ask all of this because in the west you need a car each. Public transport is crappy there. The west is getting better but you need to pick your area carefully. Some schools can be a bit rough. But in saying this you can get a larger house.

The north shore is lovely, family, nice shopping areas and good schools (I mean around mosman, neutral bay area) Crows nest is close to city and nice as well. But then areas like Gordon are nice as well, lots of bushland and retirees and families. I dont know about schools there. Drummoyne is nice, I lived there for many years. It is on the water (not for swimming) but mostly there are units.

Dont know much about South, I assume you mean sutherland shire?

Eastern suburbs are expensive, but there are beaches. It is a nice place to live and yes there are lots of expats, mostly from the UK. But then again you would be hard pressed to find an area in Sydney that isnt really multicultural.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Hills district, north west of Sydney, is also a very good family area with very good schools. Homes range from $450k to millions. Transport system isn't as good as the North Shore and inner west, so the commute would be longer. Hope this is of some help, not adding to the confusion! There are many good areas in and around Sydney. It's simply a matter of you deciding what you want and can afford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, if you want to live southside you could try Burwood or Strathfield. Otherwise Balmain or Rozelle. All have good state schools. Hunters Hill is very nice and can be pricey but you can also find some cheaper places there too. It's near North Ryde and is north of the harbour but on the west side, so that might still work for you.

There are more expats in the north of Sydney, but yes, they are more expensive.

Not sure if you have used the cityhobo website yet.

We used it before we moved to Sydney and got lots of very helpful information from it on where to live. It looks at more than 50 suburbs and gives you an honest account of what's what.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We live in the Northern Suburbs, Ryde area. My husband takes the ferry to work everyday, to Circular Quay takes about and hour door to door. Its a tough life, cruising down the harbour.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

I'm due to go to Sydney at the end of March 2008 with my family on a 457 Visa and want some advice on where the best places in or around Sydney to live are.

My kids are 10 and 12 and we are happy enough living in the Suburbs. My commute will be to Central Sydney but on the South side of the bridge and I dont really want to commute for more than 45mins, but I suppose the most important thing is good state schools.

I've read the North is expensive and although the west is cheaper its less populated by expats than the South. The South (or the Shires as I think its called) is popular with expates and indigenous aussies.

Hi,
I've been in Sydney a year. I'm not sure on best suburbs South but I stay in Carlingford (West) and there are lots of ex-pats and others i.e. NZ, Germany, Norway near me.
I know there are a few suburbs to avoid down in that area as it can be wild - that's from the people I know who are Sydney born and bred.
From Carlingford Eastwood and Epping railway stations are nearby and it's about 30mins in train into city approx. 1hour by bus.
Inner West suburbs are the nice (Glebe / Haberfield / Five Dock ) but very expensive.

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dog Friendly Areas

Hi,
My wife and I are considering a move to Sydney and are bringing along our two children (both dogs). Our office will be in North Ryde, but we would like to live somewhere in between the office and the city. How hard is it to find homes/townhome/apartment that is pet friendly in the lower North Shore area? We were looking to spend about $600-$800 per week. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am planning to buy a house in sydney close to sea in good suburb. I want an advice which suburb is better to live in. I am a student so i would like the suburb be active,not boring,with restaurants,shops etc. And how much aproximately the house will cost, medium size house (2-3 bedrooms with courtyard)?thank you in advance. Maya

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Stretch:

Let me see I got the list right:

45 min commute to city
2 Boys need schools (public) - ages 10-12
Your work will be in the CBD (Central Sydney)
You want a place with lots of expats
You want to be close to the sea

I don't think I could hit everything but I'll give it a go:
Hornsby
- Close to the 45 min commute level
- good schools
- lots of expats
- not close to the sea
St. Ives
- Good Schools
- Commute to city within 45 mins
- 30 mins to sea
- OK with expats (not lots, nor too little)
Chatswood
- Good schools
- lots of expats
- 20-30 mins to sea
- good commute
Manly
- lots of expats
- good schools
- 30 min commute to Circular Quay (by ferry)
- Beach suburb, walk to the water

I would concentrate on the areas on the North Shore along the Northern train line between Chatswood and Epping.

Look at the pricing of houses on realestate.com.au and you should get an idea of less expensive/more expensive areas.

Hi all

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Mayya:

Sydney is very expensive to buy houses. I would take a look at realestate.com.au in the suburbs that are near your Uni. Students usually rent in Sydney.

Most of the activity tends to be in CBD suburbs.

Hi everyone,
I am planning to buy a house in sydney close to sea in good suburb. I want an advice which suburb is better to live in. I am a student so i would like the suburb be active,not boring,with restaurants,shops etc. And how much aproximately the house will cost, medium size house (2-3 bedrooms with courtyard)?thank you in advance. Maya

·
Registered
4 Posts
I might have a job with Sydney Ports Corporation. I am married with a 4 month old daughter. I am looking for some information on the outer suburbs as we will have to survive on one income for a while. What is Campbelltown like? I seen some not bad properties in Ambarvale (at least they look nice on the internet). What would the commute to Millers Point by car be like? The same question for Penrith. I would most likely have to drive as the job requires shift work.
Thanks,

Scott.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Scott:

Penrith and Campbelltown are basically near the boundaries of Sydney in the West and South respectively (I think a bit further west is the actual boundary past Penrith).

As for living they're inexpensive but your commute is gonna be a long one (at least one hour to the CBD) and you'll be hit by road tolls everyday. I live in the the Northeastern part of Sydney so pretty far from both of those suburbs. I can't describe how it is to live there as I don't go to either area that much.

I would definitely pay a bit more and save some major commuting time. You'll pay for it one way or the other (if long commute then you'll be more tired and spend less time with Mom and Baby, OR shorter commute and pay more in rent).

In terms of Millers Point look at these suburbs. Petersham, Enmore, Alexandria, Zetland, Leichhardt. It will be units of some sort. Also it's not advisable to drive to Millers Point as parking will be an issue (unless you're getting paid parking).

Good luck :D

I might have a job with Sydney Ports Corporation. I am married with a 4 month old daughter. I am looking for some information on the outer suburbs as we will have to survive on one income for a while. What is Campbelltown like? I seen some not bad properties in Ambarvale (at least they look nice on the internet). What would the commute to Millers Point by car be like? The same question for Penrith. I would most likely have to drive as the job requires shift work.
Thanks,

Scott.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Access, rent, environment -best suburb??

Hi everyone,

I need advice from a "sydney-native"
I'm Chilean and I'm moving to Sydney to spend the next 3-4 years pursuing my doctoral studies in USYD.
I'm female and single, so I was thinking I should look for a studio or a 1-bedroom apartment for rent.
Which suburb do you recommend? I'm aware of the fact that the closer accommodation is to the city center, the more expensive...but I think that is also senseless to pay cheap rent and a lot of money in transportation!

I think I will be able to spend AUD$250-350 in accomodation.

Thanks for your help!
Beatriz

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Bquiroz:

Usually students share a unit in the CBD area. So look a the suburbs around USYD. Also contact the International Student office at USYD and ask them if they have info about students sharing housing.

Here is a link from Sydney Uni where you can start:
Accommodation Service - The University of Sydney

Good luck :)

Hi everyone,

I need advice from a "sydney-native"
I'm Chilean and I'm moving to Sydney to spend the next 3-4 years pursuing my doctoral studies in USYD.
I'm female and single, so I was thinking I should look for a studio or a 1-bedroom apartment for rent.
Which suburb do you recommend? I'm aware of the fact that the closer accommodation is to the city center, the more expensive...but I think that is also senseless to pay cheap rent and a lot of money in transportation!

I think I will be able to spend AUD$250-350 in accomodation.

Thanks for your help!
Beatriz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the last response, this is a little more detailed now. I am hoping to secure the position shortly and I would be working out of Port Botany by the Container Terminal. I would be making around 90,000 AUD per year. I will be coming over (from Canada) with my wife and 6 month old daughter. We were hoping to find something not to far away but we have the following challenges. I am not sure if my wife will be allowed to work in country, so we might only have the one income. Secondly, they indicated I would have to drive as the work is shift work and there is no real public transit that works for the shifts. I was thinking about the Sutherland/Woronora to Heathcote area. Any suggestions would be more that appreciated.:)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

I don't get down there too often (you're working in the Southern part of Sydney and I live and work in the Northern part of Sydney (a harbour between the two). But you should be able to find something along the eastern Suburbs and also Sutherland shire (i.e. Cronulla, Brighton-le-Sands, Coogee, Bondi). These aren't too far to drive. From what I know about PR visas they should include your wife and will allow her to work. Even if it's a 457 Temp visa as long as she also is on the application she should be able to work in AU.

But if unsure I would contact immigration once you get your visa to clarify that your wife has right to work in AU (they should specifically state she can't work on her visa sticker if there is such a restriction).

Good luck.

Thanks for the last response, this is a little more detailed now. I am hoping to secure the position shortly and I would be working out of Port Botany by the Container Terminal. I would be making around 90,000 AUD per year. I will be coming over (from Canada) with my wife and 6 month old daughter. We were hoping to find something not to far away but we have the following challenges. I am not sure if my wife will be allowed to work in country, so we might only have the one income. Secondly, they indicated I would have to drive as the work is shift work and there is no real public transit that works for the shifts. I was thinking about the Sutherland/Woronora to Heathcote area. Any suggestions would be more that appreciated.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

If any Pakistanis out there are willing to share accomodation in Sydney, NSW, please reply on this thread or send me a private message. I know that Pakistani students share with up to 4 other students in Sydney and the per week cost is around $100/- for the rent. I would be extremely interested in such an arrangement. If you know any students who have such an arrangement I would be infinitely grateful if you could connect me with them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am also looking for same but I will move after 2 months time as my current lease has 2 months left in it. After that I'd love to join in such an arrangement.

1 - 20 of 633 Posts