Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!! I want to apologize in advance because my post is going to be a bit long!! I just want to give a complete synopsis of my situation so I can get the appropriate advice!! and Thanks for your advice!!!!

Okay so I'm from LA, California and currently getting my Masters in Clinical Psychology. I'll be graduating next year in July 2011. Ive visited Sydney numerous times as I have my dads entire family living there.. in West Pennant Hills! Also, about 3 years ago, I moved there for a 5 month trip on a working holiday/work abroad trip and absolutely fell in love with Sydney!! Ever since then Ive dreamed of moving to Sydney!! I visited last year in August for a month and it reconfirmed my thoughts. I'm making a 2 week trip this August for a family visit and also to meet with potential employers/agencies!

Anyways, in Jan 2010, Ive applied for my workskilled residency visa-sponsored by my uncle. Im on the SOL list but I guess b/c its family sponsored the gov't is going to look at it until 2012 for it to be processed!! Meaning it could take until the end of 2012 or beg. 2013 for me to get my PR!!!

The thing is, I'm 27 and going to be 28 by the time I graduate. I have 2 roads to take, either I go directly into a Doctorate program, graduate in 4 years and then move to Sydney orrrr I take a break between a masters and doctorate, move to sydney for one year-assess if I truly want to live there and then continue on for my doctorate!

The PROBLEM becomes here: if I decide to take that break after graduating next year and coming to Sydney for a year.. how do I come?!?!?! Because I won't have my PR Visa even ready by then so I would have to use another visa to come and stay in Sydney for one year. On what Visa should I come?? Student visa, working holiday visa??
What would be the best way to make my time in Sydney most useful and beneficial??

OTHER PROBLEM: My B.A. was in Film and Media and my Masters is in Psychology. In Australia, if I wanted to come on a work visa it would have to be on a film and media work..something I'm not too experienced in and would be hard for me.
In Australia, in order to study further and get a doctorate or a masters, you have to have a BA in Psychology. So after assessing my Masters degree by the APS-- I only have a 3 year degree and would need to complete the 4th honors year to be equivelant for an Aussie Psych graduate.

So would I be able to find work?? I'm sooo confused. I feel like its best to move when youre young and to take these risks. If I wait for another 4 years once im done with my doctorate, who knows if I'll even want to move! Especially because right now im young and single.. at that point I could have things that hold me back!!

Can someone help me in making a wise decision? And what visa would be best to come on, if I decide to come end of next year, sept 2011, while my PR is in process??

Thanks sooooo much everyone!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You could come to Sydney on a 1 yr visitor visa, but you would not be able to work. During that time you could see if an employer wants to sponsor you for a 457 visa (temp 4 yr).

You'd need to inform Immi that you were planning to come on a 1 yr visitor visa if you have another application in processing so you do not get a grant of visa while you are in AU (being in the wrong place for grant of visa - invalidates the visa grant).

Essentially wrong place works out like this:
Visa applied offshore, granted onshore
Visa applied onshore, granted offshore

Right place is:
Visa applied offshore, granted offshore
Visa applied onshore, granted onshore
Hey everyone!! I want to apologize in advance because my post is going to be a bit long!! I just want to give a complete synopsis of my situation so I can get the appropriate advice!! and Thanks for your advice!!!!

Okay so I'm from LA, California and currently getting my Masters in Clinical Psychology. I'll be graduating next year in July 2011. Ive visited Sydney numerous times as I have my dads entire family living there.. in West Pennant Hills! Also, about 3 years ago, I moved there for a 5 month trip on a working holiday/work abroad trip and absolutely fell in love with Sydney!! Ever since then Ive dreamed of moving to Sydney!! I visited last year in August for a month and it reconfirmed my thoughts. I'm making a 2 week trip this August for a family visit and also to meet with potential employers/agencies!

Anyways, in Jan 2010, Ive applied for my workskilled residency visa-sponsored by my uncle. Im on the SOL list but I guess b/c its family sponsored the gov't is going to look at it until 2012 for it to be processed!! Meaning it could take until the end of 2012 or beg. 2013 for me to get my PR!!!

The thing is, I'm 27 and going to be 28 by the time I graduate. I have 2 roads to take, either I go directly into a Doctorate program, graduate in 4 years and then move to Sydney orrrr I take a break between a masters and doctorate, move to sydney for one year-assess if I truly want to live there and then continue on for my doctorate!

The PROBLEM becomes here: if I decide to take that break after graduating next year and coming to Sydney for a year.. how do I come?!?!?! Because I won't have my PR Visa even ready by then so I would have to use another visa to come and stay in Sydney for one year. On what Visa should I come?? Student visa, working holiday visa??
What would be the best way to make my time in Sydney most useful and beneficial??

OTHER PROBLEM: My B.A. was in Film and Media and my Masters is in Psychology. In Australia, if I wanted to come on a work visa it would have to be on a film and media work..something I'm not too experienced in and would be hard for me.
In Australia, in order to study further and get a doctorate or a masters, you have to have a BA in Psychology. So after assessing my Masters degree by the APS-- I only have a 3 year degree and would need to complete the 4th honors year to be equivelant for an Aussie Psych graduate.

So would I be able to find work?? I'm sooo confused. I feel like its best to move when youre young and to take these risks. If I wait for another 4 years once im done with my doctorate, who knows if I'll even want to move! Especially because right now im young and single.. at that point I could have things that hold me back!!

Can someone help me in making a wise decision? And what visa would be best to come on, if I decide to come end of next year, sept 2011, while my PR is in process??

Thanks sooooo much everyone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that! Yeah, I dont think I want to do a visitor visa and have the chances of not working. That wouldnt be ideal!

Also I just found out that b/c I had a working holiday visa before, I am not able to apply for it again. So I guess my only 2 options are student visa or sponsor by company!
Do you know if there are other options besides this that I may not know of?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You could talk to a migration agent about options, but to be honest I think family sponsored is your best bet and 2012 does give at least 2 yrs to build up some savings before you move over (AU ain't cheap to live in, especially the first few months).

Thanks for that! Yeah, I dont think I want to do a visitor visa and have the chances of not working. That wouldnt be ideal!

Also I just found out that b/c I had a working holiday visa before, I am not able to apply for it again. So I guess my only 2 options are student visa or sponsor by company!
Do you know if there are other options besides this that I may not know of?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks again! Yeah, I'm starting to think that it might be best to wait for the PR to be done. Well my migration agent told me due to some changes that happened last Sept 2009, all visas that are not on the critical list will not be processed until 2012.

Do you know if there is any plans of that changing? even though he has lodged my application I will have to wait until 2012 for them to even look at my application. Wouldn't that take a year from that point, meaning I wouldn't even get my PR visa until 2013?

Do you think there are chances of that changing and them starting the process right away?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
It can always change, what would happen is that they'll not grant the visa before 2012, but they would keep it in processing, so sometime in 2011 you would start to get the requests for Police Checks and Medicals. Once that starts happening you know they intend to continue processing the case for an eventual visa grant (unless the medicals or PCCs sink you).

Hey thanks again! Yeah, I'm starting to think that it might be best to wait for the PR to be done. Well my migration agent told me due to some changes that happened last Sept 2009, all visas that are not on the critical list will not be processed until 2012.

Do you know if there is any plans of that changing? even though he has lodged my application I will have to wait until 2012 for them to even look at my application. Wouldn't that take a year from that point, meaning I wouldn't even get my PR visa until 2013?

Do you think there are chances of that changing and them starting the process right away?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I am not sure but have u considered state sponsorship, it is relatively faster, as in from priority 7 u move up to priority 2 or 5 (each state has a skill list which they sponsor). (priority 2 is state migration-priority 5 is state sponsored-migration is a new category, things will be clear in a few months)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I actually don't qualify for a state sponsor because my qualifications don't fall under the skills. Also, I really don't want to live in a regional aread.. I prefer Sydney!

And being family sponsored work skilled puts me at priority number 6. haha not much higher than 7.. but its still somethin!

Does anyone know if this will really take until end of 2012 or beg. of 2013 to get?? Or will this time be shortened?

·
Banned
934 Posts
Well, I actually don't qualify for a state sponsor because my qualifications don't fall under the skills. Also, I really don't want to live in a regional aread.. I prefer Sydney!

And being family sponsored work skilled puts me at priority number 6. haha not much higher than 7.. but its still somethin!

Does anyone know if this will really take until end of 2012 or beg. of 2013 to get?? Or will this time be shortened?
Everything at the moment is up in the air. I would expect severe changes to Australias immigration policy this year. During the downturn Australia were desperate to keep the house prices high and keep immigration flowing but now that things have stablised they really are in no need for desperate skills. Rudd's re-election needs him to cut immigration his popularity is dropping sharply.

2012 is a realistic wait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts