Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm moving to Sydney in the next couple of months and wondered which area would be the best to live in and if anyone could recommend a good property website?

Also my Girlfriend is quite worried about the spider situation, How common is it to find spiders in your property/car if you live in a modern urban apartment and is there any measure that can be taken to prevent them coming in,

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

I'm moving to Sydney in the next couple of months and wondered which area would be the best to live in and if anyone could recommend a good property website?

Also my Girlfriend is quite worried about the spider situation, How common is it to find spiders in your property/car if you live in a modern urban apartment and is there any measure that can be taken to prevent them coming in,

Hi dnz,

What type of area are you looking to move to - different areas of Sydney all have their own "charms" depending on what you want (ie hip and trendy, quiet, urban, surburban...also demographics of suburbs varies greatly by area...the great "true blue australian" strongholds are the north shore, sutherland shire and the eastern suburbs, most suburbs have a dominant immigrant nation that settle there, so you will find middle eastern areas, asian areas etc)

To look for property, try Domain (www . domain . com . au) or Real Estate (www . realestate . com. au , sorry can't post full links because Im a newbie) both list properties to buy and rent (you will find a lot overlaps on the two). These are the most popular websites.

My partner and I were debating the spider situation myself the other night - he lived in a high rise apartment in the city and never saw a spider - he moved into my house in suburbs and saw plenty. Honestly you do get used to the spiders, everyone keeps cans of bug spray called mortein (in my house we had two downstairs and another upstairs so one was always handy). You can also get mortein sprays that come in big car oil type bottles with a pump spray, you spray these around your building perimeter and window frames etc and it helps to prevent spiders and other creepy crawlies coming in. You tend to find the spiders will mainly be outside but you're bound to sight them. Good news for your girlfriend is the poisonous ones aren't really scary because they're mostly tiny (we're talking money spider here) - so you spray and they're dead, done. The bigger non-poisonous ones may make her stand on a chair to spray them (have a look at wolf spiders, orb weaving garden spiders *outside only* and huntsman spiders, Ive seen them all quite regularly.)...Just rereading your post, I never saw a spider in my car in the two years I had it, but they do make webs between the wheel arch and the wheel when you leave your car outside for a day or two which can be a nasty surprise if you don't notice when you're washing it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi dnz,

What type of area are you looking to move to - different areas of Sydney all have their own "charms" depending on what you want (ie hip and trendy, quiet, urban, surburban...also demographics of suburbs varies greatly by area...the great "true blue australian" strongholds are the north shore, sutherland shire and the eastern suburbs, most suburbs have a dominant immigrant nation that settle there, so you will find middle eastern areas, asian areas etc)

To look for property, try Domain (www . domain . com . au) or Real Estate (www . realestate . com. au , sorry can't post full links because Im a newbie) both list properties to buy and rent (you will find a lot overlaps on the two). These are the most popular websites.

My partner and I were debating the spider situation myself the other night - he lived in a high rise apartment in the city and never saw a spider - he moved into my house in suburbs and saw plenty. Honestly you do get used to the spiders, everyone keeps cans of bug spray called mortein (in my house we had two downstairs and another upstairs so one was always handy). You can also get mortein sprays that come in big car oil type bottles with a pump spray, you spray these around your building perimeter and window frames etc and it helps to prevent spiders and other creepy crawlies coming in. You tend to find the spiders will mainly be outside but you're bound to sight them. Good news for your girlfriend is the poisonous ones aren't really scary because they're mostly tiny (we're talking money spider here) - so you spray and they're dead, done. The bigger non-poisonous ones may make her stand on a chair to spray them (have a look at wolf spiders, orb weaving garden spiders *outside only* and huntsman spiders, Ive seen them all quite regularly.)...Just rereading your post, I never saw a spider in my car in the two years I had it, but they do make webs between the wheel arch and the wheel when you leave your car outside for a day or two which can be a nasty surprise if you don't notice when you're washing it.
Thanks for your quick reply, It doesn't sound like the spiders are too much of a problem then :),

We would ideally be looking to rent something in a newish block close to the sea on a marina or Harbour, We are both in our twenties with no kids so ideally an area where theres plenty of things happening, Not sure on Budget yet but I guess around 700 dollars ish per week would be our price range, I would rather live in a tall block for the views and security etc but I have never been to sydney and don't know the areas at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply, It doesn't sound like the spiders are too much of a problem then :),

We would ideally be looking to rent something in a newish block close to the sea on a marina or Harbour, We are both in our twenties with no kids so ideally an area where theres plenty of things happening, Not sure on Budget yet but I guess around 700 dollars ish per week would be our price range, I would rather live in a tall block for the views and security etc but I have never been to sydney and don't know the areas at all.
You will be saying what spiders in no time!

On the property front, to find newer, high apartment building, you will mainly be looking at the built up areas - when you get to Sydney you soon discover that nearly everything in suburbs is older.

Some places worth looking at would be :

Pyrmont which is right next to the city which has plenty of nice new apartment complexes on or near the water.

St Leonards on the north shore which is right on a train line, close the city and also Crows Nest which is great for restaurants and pubs, whilst still a smaller feel than the city.

North Sydney which has some newer apartment complexes, but its mainly a business district, so you would be looking at crossing the bridge to the main CBD for nightlife etc.

They're the main places you're likely to find high rise new apartments that fit your bill. If you go low rise, then you could branch out to most of the suburbs along the coastline (ie. north - manly area, east - bondi down to maroubra.) Also along the north shore there is mosman, neutral bay which again don't have high rises but are good places to be for entertainment and connections to the city.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dont worry

Hi all,

my friend i have lived here for three months now working as a carpenter in peoples house and saw my first spider last week, as for the areas i would suggest anywhere round the eastern subburbs which is - wollahra, double bay, rose bay, vauclouse, bondi all the way down to marroubra. and you can be in the city within 20/30 minutes from any location.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all,

Choose Bondi
It is great fun,best beaches in the World and excellent transport,
You will not regret it and it is safe and affordable

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys,

Now to make sure all the documents are in order and take the plunge :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts